How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2009, 11:58 AM

Default Start Stage 2 Inputs at 49

Hey Guys,

Im working at a Church where we have a 72 input stage running 2 D-SHOWs for FOH and monitors. Whenever we have to patch into inputs above 48 on the stage we need to do some math. Input 61 on the stage would equal Stage 2 Input 13 ect. As we re-patch often it would be much easier for us to patch our stage without having to carry around a small calculator to ensure we have the right input.

So, im just asking for an option to change the start value of inputs on stage rack 2 to start at 49.

Thank You
Old 05-23-2009, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Start Stage 2 Inputs at 49

+1

Using 96 stage inputs, same issue.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:17 PM

I create "labels" in Excel, print them on "thicker paper", cut them with a paper cutter, and tape them on. I started doing this with Avioms and it "spilled over" to Venue. Once you figure out the spacing and create the template with a little trial and error, it's not too difficult.

Then I realized that there was room in the "box" to type input names and tracks numbers cause there's plenty of room!! like:
_____
| OH L
-------

It looks better with the perfect Excel box but you get the idea...

The thicker paper is super helpful for staying in place and lasting more than a minute. My next trick is to alternate white and yellow paper. High tech!

Edit - OK... I just realized Horizontal text is mo' betta. Sheldon - can I send you the Excel template to post?
Old 05-27-2009, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Garlick View Post
Hey Guys,

Im working at a Church where we have a 72 input stage running 2 D-SHOWs for FOH and monitors. Whenever we have to patch into inputs above 48 on the stage we need to do some math. Input 61 on the stage would equal Stage 2 Input 13 ect. As we re-patch often it would be much easier for us to patch our stage without having to carry around a small calculator to ensure we have the right input.

So, im just asking for an option to change the start value of inputs on stage rack 2 to start at 49.

Thank You
I totally agree. I have the same issue (96 inputs) and it slows me down every weekend. I created a cheat sheet in Excel that literally shows 1 | 49, 2 | 50, etc & keep it at the console & I use it all the time. Would be nice to eventually see that option in the future...
Old 05-27-2009, 09:06 AM

I'm not sure I see what you guys ask for. When you're patching your second stage rack, how do you locate input 61? Where do you want to see the info "input 61"? In the UI? In the patch list? On the stage rack itself?
Old 05-27-2009, 12:06 PM

Switching to adding 48 to stage rack 2 would only be needed when your patching. It would be visible in the Input patchbay In the UI

I'm thinking a cool way to initiate this would be to double press the source button on the console.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:41 PM

Well the stage rack 2 only shows up in the patchbay window when you actually have a 2nd stage rack. And in the options/setup tab you're telling the console to look for 2 stage racks & 96 (or 72 or whatever) channels. So it would be cool to see the stage 2 tab of the patchbay inputs default to continuing the channel numbers in sequence...
Old 05-27-2009, 10:14 PM

Here's another way of maybe understanding this. My split is numbered 1-56 or 1-64 or 1-96, etc. When I'm putting together a patch sheet it's going to reflect my split because I don't have the same console everywhere.

When I look at the inputs tab in the D-Show software Patchbay, both stage racks number 1-48. It would save time in finding and patching things, if Stage Rack 2 defaulted--or had an option--to start Card A with 49 instead of 1.

We have 80 analog inputs on one of our consoles. It takes some thinking when something gets added last minute and ends up patched somewhere near channel 80 and the actual fader you want to patch it to is in the middle of a bunch of channels patched from the 1st Stage Rack.

Make sense?

Dave
Old 10-03-2009, 06:07 PM

I even have a hard time if i am physically re-patching something. I figured this could be a digi thing to where they simply printed the input cards and output cards with 1-8, 9-16, 17-24 and so on. Then when buying or replacing or adding, you simply specify which numbers you need.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:40 AM

Wondering if there is a way to use an Excel formula that would take say patch 49 and, and show it as Rack 2 #1. It would have to be a conditional formula but could make things a lot easier.