How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2022, 04:39 PM

Default Windows vs Mac

Hello all,

Just an observation, but it certainly seems like there are more issues running PT on a Mac than there is on a PC with Windows 10. Regardless of the forum, I see more significantly more Mac issues than Windows issues.

I have often thought I should change my set up to Mac, but the overwhelming number of issues with various versions of Macs discourages me from changing.

I must say that, though I have had the occasional issue with PCs, it was usually the interface or something non-Windows related. Am I missing something? Has Windows, in the past 5-8 years, become the more stable platform? Of course I realize that there may be a higher percentage of folks using Macs, which would tilt the number of issues, and perhaps this is the case in my empirical assessment of problems related to both PC and Mac. Is there a compelling reason to go from PC to Mac?
Old 03-31-2022, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Windows vs Mac

This is a dangerous topic! I shouldn't reply, but I can't resist.

I have both and my windows machine is more powerful and stable (with Pro Tools) than my macs, but I weirdly still prefer mac for day to day use. I hope that one day macs will be as stable and powerful. Apple silicon may be the solution, but it's going to take some time. I'm currently trying to decide if I should keep my new Mac Studio Ultra, or stick with my PC. I think I'll probably keep the ultra and continue to punish myself by switching back and forth to avoid making a final decision. They both work.

Last edited by thebeatless; 03-31-2022 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-31-2022, 06:57 PM

No more of these threads, please. If you're into audio, surely you've read at least 100 of them by now. Very little useful data surfaces, it's just a matter of who uses what, defending their personal choice. The answer is "either." The former shortcomings of PCs seem to have disappeared for the most part (as they've modeled the Mac ecosystem, I might add). As you mentioned, naturally you might read about more Mac issues, and that's because there are far more Macs in music production. Don't let the pollute your assessment of which you should purchase.
Old 03-31-2022, 08:40 PM

I use both, started on Mac, but prefer the Windows machine for Protools.
My Windows computer is an HP Z4 workstation that is spec'd exactly to what AVID says to use for Protools HDX.
Honestly, it has been the most solid Protools machine and user experience I've had in the 15 years I've been using this DAW.
Old 04-01-2022, 05:40 AM

A touchy subject to be sure.

I think when you're using a supported configuration, both can work great and really would be user UI choice.

It seems every time a Mac update comes out, there's a lot of time before it is supported, and a lot of folks who update too early having issues with Pro Tools. Also a lot of older interfaces that no longer have driver support for newer Mac OS's.

I'm still running an old M-Audio ProFire 2626 that hasn't had a driver update since Windows 8 without issue on Windows 11. Was on Windows 11 when it was still in beta without Pro Tools issues.

That said, use what works for you, read release notes and don't upgrade until it is officially supported. Especially if you make money off it!

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 04-01-2022, 06:45 AM

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful and insightful responses. I think I will stay with Windows (the course of least resistance in terms of costs outlay and experience since this is what I have used since 2004). Both seem to be viable, proven platforms. I certainly would NOT try to convert one's opinion on this - there are obviously some very passionate views on this topic!!
Old 04-01-2022, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeatless View Post
This is a dangerous topic! I shouldn't reply, but I can't resist...
No Windows "version drama" as compared to Mac. All Pro-Tools versions from 12.5 and up work on Windows 10 and also on Windows 11. The various Windows 10/11 build-versions do not break compatibility.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume

Last edited by EGS; 04-01-2022 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-01-2022, 07:42 AM

Mac user here.
When everything is up and running it‘s a dream BUT:

I must say that the constant stream of update chaos that Apple is causing has been getting on my nerves recently. Today (12.3.1) was the second time I needed to roll back my os (first big sur to catalina and now monterey to catalina) in the last three yeas or so. (thank god for super duper!)
I use my machines professionally and the time I need to invest in Apples incompatibilities is getting n my nerves big time!
Old 04-01-2022, 08:49 AM

If Pro Tools is important to you for work, I wouldn't advise jumping on a system update in the first few weeks.

I had to use Monterey on a new machine since February and it is the most stable setup I've had for many years. The only issue was the Avid plugin update that has now come and a couple that haven't.
Old 04-01-2022, 09:10 AM

My 2 cents(and please take it that way) for either platform:
1-Use whichever platform you prefer as both are fine when properly configured.
2-As said, never jump on any update in the first few weeks. Watch the forums for reports of problems so you can avoid them, or know how to solve them if they hit you.
3-Never(and that means NEVER!) upgrade/update in the middle of a project, especially if you have a deadline.
4-Always(and that means ALWAYS!) have a backup plan for how to recover for an update that goes bad(and this WILL happen someday, no matter what platform).

Here is my backup plan(adjust to suit you):
A-I save drive images fairly often(I keep a large USB drive for nothing but images and backups of every installer I download).
B-I clone my system drive before an update/upgrade, swap the fresh clone into the computer and update that drive. If it goes bad, I put the first drive back in and go back to work. If it goes great, a few months down the road, I clone the other direction(so I always have a known-good system drive at the ready).
C-I keep a third cloned drive for experimenting(so I don't screw up my "working" drives
D-All my sessions are backed up to at least 2(usually 3) external drives(after losing valuable data 2 times too many If it matters, it needs to be backed up(according to Craig Anderton, if it doesn't exist in 3 places, its not backed up)

Notice that I have not mentioned Mac or PC? Because it doesn't matter(at least not to me).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave