Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 12-02-2022, 01:33 PM

Default LTC to RMU via Dante AVIO Analog in - Clock unlock issues

I'm outputting LTC from Sync HD to RMU Focusrite RedPCIe (channel 128) via a Dante AVIO Analog In adaptor. When I'm printing Atmos, the RMU locks and reads fine the LTC, but every 5 to 10 minutes, randomly, the RMU stops recording while Protools is still playing and generating LTC. It looks like a Dante problem because I can see Dante AVIO Clock unlocks in the Dante Controller logs every time it happens. Those clock unlocks don't occur while I'm not in printing mode. I was wondering if someone had an idea where that would come from.

ProTools 2021.12 on a MacPro 2019 macOS 10.15.7
Dolby Atmos Renderer 3.7.2 on a MacMini 2018 macOS 10.14.6
Old 12-04-2022, 10:53 AM

Default Re: LTC to RMU via Dante AVIO Analog in - Clock unlock issues

Quote:
I'm outputting LTC from Sync HD to RMU Focusrite RedPCIe (channel 128) via a Dante AVIO Analog In adaptor. When I'm printing Atmos, the RMU locks and reads fine the LTC, but every 5 to 10 minutes, randomly, the RMU stops recording while Protools is still playing and generating LTC. It looks like a Dante problem because I can see Dante AVIO Clock unlocks in the Dante Controller logs every time it happens. Those clock unlocks don't occur while I'm not in printing mode. I was wondering if someone had an idea where that would come from.

ProTools 2021.12 on a MacPro 2019 macOS 10.15.7
Dolby Atmos Renderer 3.7.2 on a MacMini 2018 macOS 10.14.6
I'm not sure what's going on, but I would test generating LTC using the Dolby LTC Generator 2 plugin rather than the Sync HD/AVIO. That way, the LTC would follow the same path as your audio. It would mean changing your PT I/O and Dante subscriptions. I would also try recording audio on the RMU wild, without chasing any time code, to see if the issue persists. This is a long shot, but your RMU Renderer and Pro Tools Renderer Remote systems are communicating, yet on different MacOS. You may also check Renderer/OS/RedPCIe driver/Expansion Chassis compatibility.

Serge
Old 12-04-2022, 11:37 AM

Back in 2018 when I got certified, I used to have the same setup: Sync HD - Dante Adapter into Focusrite. After Dolby released the LTC Plug In, I was just using that as described and never looked back. it's way more reliable and gives you a tighter sync to the RMU as well.
Old 12-05-2022, 12:57 PM

Thank you for your responses. I didn't have access to the Dolby LTC gen plugin, but I managed to get custom LTC tracks through https://elteesee.pehrhovey.net, and it worked flawlessly. Makes sense to send LTC same route as audio, but I'll try to troubleshoot further why my Dante AVIO acts up randomly like that, when we'll be less busy. At the moment that workaround works perfectly.
I'll also contact our Dolby dealer to get the plugin, gonna be even more simple than using custom LTC wave files I guess.

edit : nevermind, the plugin was included in the renderer installer, I'll test that later tonight.