Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > MBOX Studio

Old 12-04-2022, 05:41 AM

Default Re: MBOX Studio problem: crackling noise when booting up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Hey Kev

Thanks for the video

Our Carbons sounds like that too but thats relays and not what I think the OP describes.

That sound is not pops and crackles and many of our outboards sounds like that:for example SSL Fusion and WesAudio NG_Buscomp.

And many more so i doubt thats what he is hearing (My opinion only)
I agree and why I stated it was not like what the OP was describing

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 12-05-2022, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novae Studios View Post
Hi JW, it happens not only when booting up the system, but also:
  • when turning MBOX on, while speakers are already on
  • when system is up and running, and I have to reboot my computer. the moment my mac connects to the Mbox Studio, you get the bursts.
  • when I launch Pro Tools after computer is booted up
  • selecting the MBOX Studio in the Playback Engine settings, when other hardware was selected while booting Pro Tools
  • when I log in and out of my user
  • when changing audio device in macOS system audio preferences (going away or towards the MBOX)
  • when opening Apple Music or any other audio software that connects to the MBOX.
Since "MBOX 2" and "Digi003" and every other interface I used since 2010, if I mess around with power and connection with my speakers ON, I would feel pretty stupid and/or worried. ESPECIALLY with the Digi003 in the professional studio from 1980s turned audio school in 2000s.

I bet SOMEONE has turned on a console with phantom power on, and speakers, and heard a pop, and DID NOT break the mic, who decided "you can do that ok."

So, nuff said by this situation to me. If you hear problems when speakers on and you are changing the audio input and output device, simplest bet is muting the speakers or powering down.

This equipment isn't really "meant" for consumer device hot swap.

Just saying, in these situations I totally expect the result and have for more than a decade. It's fool's hope to hot swap with never a problem.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 12-05-2022, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nednednerb View Post
Since "MBOX 2" and "Digi003" and every other interface I used since 2010, if I mess around with power and connection with my speakers ON, I would feel pretty stupid and/or worried. ESPECIALLY with the Digi003 in the professional studio from 1980s turned audio school in 2000s.

I bet SOMEONE has turned on a console with phantom power on, and speakers, and heard a pop, and DID NOT break the mic, who decided "you can do that ok."

So, nuff said by this situation to me. If you hear problems when speakers on and you are changing the audio input and output device, simplest bet is muting the speakers or powering down.

This equipment isn't really "meant" for consumer device hot swap.

Just saying, in these situations I totally expect the result and have for more than a decade. It's fool's hope to hot swap with never a problem.

You have probably not seen JW’s response. Maybe read before you make any statements.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Mac Studio M2 Ultra, 192 GB Ram, MacOS Ventura 13.5
Macbook Pro 16" M1 Max, 64 GB Ram, MacOS Ventura 13.5
Sonnet Echo III PCIe Thunderbolt chassis
HD Native PCIe
Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.6.
2 x Lynx Aurora 16 LT-HD interfaces
2 x Avid S1
1 x Avid Dock

https://collinleijenaar.com
https://www.facebook.com/Collinleijenaar/
https://www.instagram.com/collinleijenaar/
Old 12-06-2022, 10:39 AM

I already replied directly to their concerns... Nuff said. What is expected to potentially happen is happening.

Since you obviously _do_ read, you must have just forgotten when I easily admitted the device might be a bad unit.

That said, what is expected to potentially happen is happening. Where is the confusion above?
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 12-06-2022, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nednednerb View Post
I already replied directly to their concerns... Nuff said. What is expected to potentially happen is happening.

Since you obviously _do_ read, you must have just forgotten when I easily admitted the device might be a bad unit.

That said, what is expected to potentially happen is happening. Where is the confusion above?

As you can read in the post from Avid person JW it is not a faulty device. It is just how the device was designed and that they will try to mute those sounds in future firmware update.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

HD Native PCIe
2 x Avid S1
1 x Avid Dock

Old 12-27-2022, 12:13 PM

Default Re: MBOX Studio....First Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novae Studios View Post
...When booting up my computer it produces a burst of 7 or 8 short crackling sounds out of the speakers...
Please install MBOX Control 1.0.1. This will update the MBOX Studio's firmware which should eliminate the series of pops (minus the one from powering up the DACs).
Old 01-14-2023, 02:41 AM

Default Re: MBOX Studio....First Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Please install MBOX Control 1.0.1. This will update the MBOX Studio's firmware which should eliminate the series of pops (minus the one from powering up the DACs).
Awesome! Yes, this solved the issue! Thank you so much everyone at Avid for listening to the feedback your customers!

HD Native PCIe
2 x Avid S1
1 x Avid Dock