Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2001, 02:06 PM

Default midi help for a moron

hey, i just call it like i see it.

i am trying to do some midi programing on my 001. could somebody please give me the dummy formula or recipie to do this. i simply want to set a click and start programming some drums and some keyboard lines into my 001. i am mostly a digital recording guy, with no midi exp. except for drum machine programming. any help would be great. or even if someboy could point me to a web url or post outlining this sort of thing. i am sure once i get one track successfully in, then it should be no problem repeating it over and over.

i want to lay the program, tweak it, then record the audio from the keyboard into the 001. do i just record the midi, then record enable a stereo audio track while the midi plays? some help to quell my simple mind is appreciated.

thanks.
_x

[ July 23, 2001: Message edited by: garuda_x ]

[ July 23, 2001: Message edited by: garuda_x ]
Old 07-23-2001, 06:43 PM

Default Re: midi help for a moron

There is more than one way to do what you want. After having tried several techniques I find this way works best for me.

In PTLE, create a click track. You'll need a midi note to do this. I usually create a click track of 16th notes. Copy this track to another midi track, and remove the 2nd, third and fourth notes (and duplicate and repeat). This should create a four on the floor kick track. Assign this midi track to a channel and assign a kick sound on your drum machine (or keyboard) to the same midi channel. You should be able to hear the kick track when played. Because some keyboards have preassigned drum sounds, you may need to move the midi track's note to a different key by double clicking with the selector on the track, and using the grabber to move the note. You can assign your click track to a hi-hat and use it too.

For recording synth lines, create a midi track, assign a midi channel and choose a sound (either from the keyboard or in PTLE) assigned to the same midi channel and just record using the above drum tracks as a reference. You can edit the synth line after.

To record your midi tracks as audio, click Frequently Asked Questions at the bottom of this page, choose 001 for MAC and see question 10.

I wouldn't recommend recording into PTLE midi drum patterns from a keyboard or drum machine. The timing is way off compared to PTLE. Using PTLE to control your set-up should work much better.

I'm assuming you have made the right midi connections.

Hope this helps. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-24-2001, 04:47 PM

Default Re: midi help for a moron

That seems a fairly long-winded way of going about things. Why not use the midi click available from within PT? Simply change the midi note number to correspond with your bass drum if that's what you want.

Call up "Click Options" under the "midi" menu, choose your midi out port, select a note for the accented (first beat of each bar,) and un-accented notes and there you go.

Simon Scardanelli