Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 01-13-2023, 07:07 AM

Default Playback stopping when ..

Prior to Monterey I always left ichat, safari and mail running in the background with no affect on PT. All apps needed for business. However first with Monterey, and now more so with Ventura, Protools playback stops / errors when a mail or message is received and when any webpage with any playback draw is loaded. System usage is all under 30%. Interestingly - I was able to record 160 tracks over 12 x 1-2 hour sessions without interruption. This only occurs on playback and with moderate plugin load. All systems settings as per PT install instructions. Of course I can quit those apps, and I do when it gets ridiculous - but I'd LOVE to know if there's anything I can do - seems to me the processing power is not the issue. Some kind of interruption going on. System sound is set via the 4K monitors speakers.

HDX1. MTRX / Dadman (current) PT Ultimate 2022.12. MBP 2019 64GB Ram. Ventura 13.0.1. Caldigit TS3+

Any ideas?
Old 01-13-2023, 08:17 AM

Default Re: Playback stopping when ..

ha iChat, you're showing your age :) (and so am i, for recognizing it)

just a shot in the dark, are Mail/Messages set to make a sound in the Notifications settings? perhaps the audio (which might be at a different sample rate) affects the sync of interface / pro tools?

as for safari, are you running any extensions which could be causing high system load?
* Soundtoys + Valhalla + Fabfilter + Spitfire
* RME Fireface UCX II ~ Arturia Keylab Essential 49
* various clarinets, trumpets, flutes, plucky stringy thingies
Old 01-13-2023, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzam View Post
ha iChat, you're showing your age :) (and so am i, for recognizing it)

just a shot in the dark, are these apps set to make a sound in the Notifications settings? perhaps the audio (which might be at a different sample rate) affects the sync of interface / pro tools?
This is the nail on the head.
Old 01-13-2023, 08:40 AM

I actually have all notifications off for all those apps (in system settings) - and pretty much everything except ProTools!. Also just now turned off 'play user interface sound effects' in the sound tab. Also sample rate (48K) is same as what I generally work in .. and finally there's a preference under 'general' in Mail which had sound notifications in addition to the system wide notifications panel - DOH! Disabled. I really hope this solves it ... Thanks a ton!
Old 01-16-2023, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AINSLIE View Post
Prior to Monterey I always left ichat, safari and mail running in the background with no affect on PT. All apps needed for business. However first with Monterey, and now more so with Ventura, Protools playback stops / errors when a mail or message is received and when any webpage with any playback draw is loaded. System usage is all under 30%. Interestingly - I was able to record 160 tracks over 12 x 1-2 hour sessions without interruption. This only occurs on playback and with moderate plugin load. All systems settings as per PT install instructions. Of course I can quit those apps, and I do when it gets ridiculous - but I'd LOVE to know if there's anything I can do - seems to me the processing power is not the issue. Some kind of interruption going on. System sound is set via the 4K monitors speakers.

HDX1. MTRX / Dadman (current) PT Ultimate 2022.12. MBP 2019 64GB Ram. Ventura 13.0.1. Caldigit TS3+

Any ideas?
The same here. On Monterey it completely hung up pro tools and its aux i/o.
Now on Ventura it´s stopping its playback until the aux i/o is resynced.
Interestingly it´s the same with other virtual interfaces like source nexus.
I´m going crazy....
Did you find a solution?
I already don´t generate any system sounds anymore, but there is always an app that does some audio and brings me down ...
Old 01-16-2023, 04:01 AM

It seems like I´ve found a workaround.
In the audio-midi-devices set the interface for system sounds to mute.
This way Pro Tools doesn´t stutter anymore.
But this is just a workaround......
I would definitely like to know what is causing the hiccups
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SCR-20230116-i2f.jpg (23.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-16-2023, 07:53 AM

Great idea - for me simply muting the mail notifications sounds in the Mail app solved it. I had already muted all notifications in system settings. I may toy with turning the not sound notifications back on tho ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftWW View Post
It seems like I´ve found a workaround.
In the audio-midi-devices set the interface for system sounds to mute.
This way Pro Tools doesn´t stutter anymore.
But this is just a workaround......
I would definitely like to know what is causing the hiccups
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-01-16 at 9.50.01 AM.jpg (41.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-17-2023, 02:58 AM

I tried all Pro Tools versions since 2022.9 now prior to a clean uninstall.
All behave the same.
I also tried different I/O interfaces. I have a license for Source-Nexus I used before the intorduction of Aux I/O.
Exactly the same behaviour!!!

I think it has to do with the OS and the 2019 MacPro hardware.
Even when audio of the system is muted and I just click on the audio menu entry in the system settings of macOS -> it stutters. It seems like an interface event or activation that triggers the stutter.
Same on Aux I/O. When I´m playing back s.th. on one interface and activate another one for client audio i.e. playback also stutters.
I think it´s a system bug....
Old 01-17-2023, 04:07 AM

Here is another hint:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comme...dio_interface/
Old 01-18-2023, 02:27 AM

I found a little workaround so that my main desktop bridge interface keeps playing audio flawlessly ...
In Ventura there is an Accessibility setting where you can generate relaxation sounds. I put it on uniform noise (translated) and dimmed it completely (no sound at all) but it keeps the interface active