Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2022, 11:43 PM

Default Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt 2-> Modern Macs

I've got an Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt (2) - i really like it, it's great.

With the next Mac OS Upgrade, my Mac Pro will classed as EOL (as in it won't support 12.7 when officially released).

While this is not a problem in the short term, eventually Avid will release Pro Tools natively for Apple Silicon, and start development focus on post 12.6 software.

I'm starting to look at new Mac's in the next generation, eg: the next Mac Pro, or the next Mac Studio, but these will all come with much later versions of the thunderbolt interface than Thunderbolt 2.

I'd welcome views on how to continue to use the Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt 2 interface, as I've been release impressed and I don't see the need (or have the desire) to look at different audio interfaces unless it's actually a problem.

The obvious answer seems docks and converters, but as the Apple Thunderbolt 2->Thunderbolt 3 converters are basically little arm computers, I'm worried that it may impact the latency or audio quality (probably wrongly)

Any views on this would be appreciated.
Old 12-17-2022, 12:10 AM

Default Re: Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt 2-> Modern Macs

The converters or dock will not add any extra latency.

This is the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2023, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt 2-> Modern Macs

I have quite some experience with various Apogee interfaces and while they sound really good I would advise anyone not to buy Apogee interfaces as they don't last long, repairs are insanely expensive and modern macOS versions aren't supported for long. With every new macOS you have to pray if they’ll still work.
The older Apogee I/Os work much better and longer, as of the Symphony I/O MK1 I would not recommend Apogee any longer.
Besides that, other manufacturers have been supporting their interfaces with current operating systems for much longer than Apogee ever did. Just a warning.