Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 05-26-2013, 11:20 AM

Default ProTools 8 Won't Startup, Can't change sample rate, Can't change h/w buffer size!

Hi everyone. I just wanted to post the experience I had yesterday in case it might help anyone else who has or is experiencing the problems I did.

I am using Windows 7 64-bit on a cheap Compaq with 2 processors, ProTools 8.0 Le (previously 8.0.5 update which I have not re-installed - the reason explained below), and an Mbox2 interface.

I hadn't been able to open a new or existing session in anything but 44.1 khz sample rate for a year or so, which I just recently figured this out when it was recommended by a Coursera course that I should use at least a 48,000 sample rate.

So I tried solving the problem yesterday morning and what a can of worms I opened up. The first thing I did was try to set my default windows audio device to something other than the Mbox. I had to plug in a couple wires to the Pc built-in soundcard so it would feel like it had a soundcard again. This didn't fix the sample rate problem. I tried tweaking a few settings in the Sound and hardware settings to no avail. In fact, something I did ended up locking my session h/w buffer size to 256. So I went through a bunch of trial and error settings changes in the Sound and hardware settings again, but nothing changed anything. So I tried to re-install the driver for the Mbox. The one for Windows 7 64 bit I downloaded from Avid just told me I already had a newer version installed. So I uninstalled all of the drivers for the Mbox, and re-installed the recommended one. This didn't fix the problem.

The next thing I did was to try and optimize my pc for Windows 7 as per the Avid site at this page:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/T...pdate_graphics

So after I did all the tweaks it suggested that applied, Viola! (sarcasm) Now Protools wouldn't open at all . So I tried changing some of the settings back, but nothing worked, and by the end of the day I was so frustrated that I decided to uninstall and re-install protools altogether. It still would't open. I started going through the tweaks I had performed again to see what else I might have messed up.

I came across one that I had trouble with: "Enable DEP" I couldn't get this one to work as per the instructions so when I had changed the settings I had entered this in the command prompt as per another website that suggested this as an alternative: bcdedit /set {current} Nx AlwaysOn (Optln didn't work). So I changed this back to "AlwaysOff", and Viola! (for real). Protools will now open again!

What was even better was I could now change the sample rate, and the h/w buffer size freely as originally when I installed Protools the first time. All of my sessions and settings seem to be the same (except track colors are only at top and bottom) - so far. But wait - I have an outdated version of my outdated Version Of Protools Wait again! That must have been it! I think the update I did to version 8.0.5 might have caused this fiasco of the sample rate only being stuck at 44.1khz in the first place. Hmmm...

I guess I will try to live with this version until a real upgrade to 11 for now. I have noticed these differences so far:
1. The Mbox2 is not recognized by windows anymore as a sound device. Although it works with Protools so far just fine.
2. The Mbox2 settings in the Hardware settings under Setup tab will show a sample rate based on whatever the session originally was, but I changed it to 48 with no session open.
3. The Plugin Streaming Buffer settings are not available in Playback Engine under Setup with this version (Protools 8.0).

So far, that's what I have wasted my entire yesterday on. But I guess I learned something. If it ain't broke, you sure as hell shouldn't try to fix it. Before all this yesterday I tried to adjust my string height and such on my Fender Strat because of a little rattle. I don't know yet if that is better or worse.

I hope this helps someone else who has been having similar problems. If so then my breath wasn't wasted (or my finger typing muscles rather). :)

One final note: If re-installing Protools like I did, I would be careful not to uninstall the settings part. I don't remember the options name, but I only uninstalled the "Protools 8 software only" option. This may have saved my settings on plugins and etc. Good Luck! Sorry if I misspelled anything, I don't care. I'm not going to do a spell-check. I'm tired.