Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 11-16-2011, 11:27 AM

Default Advice: looking to update system

I was running an old nubus Pro Tools III system for the longest time and I have not touched it in a couple years. However, I want to start recording again and I know a lot of the newer systems have just as much power, but come in smaller and more cost effective packages.

So does anyone have any tips for a decent little studio set-up? I'm not looking for a big expensive HD rig, but I would like to have the ability to load sessions from my old my old Pro Tools set-up on it. I also have a Wave bundle that would be nice to use, but if the new systems come with quality plug-ins that isn't a priority. Maybe someone can point me at a backwards compatability chart?

Thanks for the help... so much has changed over the years and looking at the variety that is available now is like trying to buy a can of Coke... way too many to choose from.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:08 PM

Default Re: Advice: looking to update system

Do you know what version of Pro Tools your sessions are in?
[email protected]
631 786 3924

Freelance Mac/Pro Tools tech for hire. Metro New York Area.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by promixr View Post
Do you know what version of Pro Tools your sessions are in?
Version 4.0.1
Old 11-17-2011, 10:58 AM

If you're a Mac fan, a new i7 iMac 27" with one of the new Focusrite interfaces may be a great move. Especially if you get the iMac with the extra internal hard drive for recording(which usually means an SSD for system). If you want to go PC, then a custom built i7 machine is the way to go, or look at some of the computer builders that specialize in DAW setups like Sweetwater or Rain(or is it Rainsong?). Anyway, going PC requires more homework up front, but can save a lot of cash. Its possible that any old sessions you may have, won't be retrievable(just in case that matters). If the old system is still complete and will run, you could open sessions, consolidate all audio back to 00:00:000 and export. Then the audio could likely be imported into a new system(AFAIK, the new Macs can still read SD II files).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave