Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2004, 11:01 AM

Default In the next Hour!

I have $1000 to spend.

In terms of recording gear only, I have the 002 and a basic mic.
My business is 100% dependent on how good my demos sound.

So having no other additional plug ins I recently downloaded waves rennaisance maxx and L1.

All I can say is WHOA! The difference in my sound quality using the new plugins was incredible!

Again, my business is 100% dependent on how good my demo cd's sound. So i'm thinking I should buy waves gold. That would give me all the plugins that I used in a recent project that produced such a great sound.

In the next hour (because my order needs to ship today) tell me you would buy. Again, I have NO other additional recording/plugins. no mic pre, no outboard compressor, no lexicon reverb units, no A/D's. Just 002, and the free mic that came with it..

What would YOU do with a $1000 in my case?

Hurry up!
Old 06-30-2004, 11:03 AM

Default Re: In the next Hour!

Forgot one minor detail. The plug ins I downloaded were demos which only last for 14 days.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:38 AM

Where is everybody?

Experts I need your help.

Please!
Old 06-30-2004, 11:44 AM

with the 002 you are eligible for the Factory Bundle which I prefer to Waves Gold. You may also need Autotune depending on who you are recording.

What mic do you have. One is not enough. To track stuff you often need 2 - for stereo. I won't even mentioned drums.

Send me the $1000 and I'll buy you what you really need. I'll ship it to you free.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 06-30-2004, 11:52 AM

Quote:
with the 002 you are eligible for the Factory Bundle which I prefer to Waves Gold. You may also need Autotune depending on who you are recording.

What mic do you have. One is not enough. To track stuff you often need 2 - for stereo. I won't even mentioned drums.

Send me the $1000 and I'll buy you what you really need. I'll ship it to you free.
Right.

you just send me the stuff, and I'll send you the money.

I have an m-audio faux tube mic.

Fr what I paid I am extremelt surprised at it's sound quality within the lower spl range. But that's because I didn't pay anything! I have the bomb factory plugins as well as T racks.
But one could argue that I don't have much with the factory plugins because they (inhale) hard. The reverbs are some of the worst I've heard But hey they were free.

My application does not require live stereo recording. Mic used primarily for vocals and generally only one person at a time.

I do need autotune, buy I have to prioritize.
What'd you say Cliify?
Old 06-30-2004, 12:11 PM

For $400, the BF Factory Bundle comes with:
Quote:
Bomb Factory BF-3A by Bomb Factory
moogerfooger Ring Modulator by Bomb Factory
moogerfooger Analog Delay by Bomb Factory
SansAmp PSA-1 by Bomb Factory
Cosmonaut Voice by Bomb Factory
JOEMEEK SC2 Compressor by Bomb Factory
JOEMEEK VC5 Meequalizer by Bomb Factory
Tel-Ray Variable Delay by Bomb Factory
Voce® Spin by Bomb Factory
Voce Chorus/Vibrato by Bomb Factory
D-Fi by Digidesign
Maxim by Digidesign
Pace iLok key

Should get you well out there. That will leave you enough left over for autotune, the VST2RTAS adapater and a decent sampler if the free Sampletank isn't enough.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 06-30-2004, 12:18 PM

Cliff boy you are the Man.

You are always a big help. I had forgotten about this new bundle. that being a great deal, it still doesn't help me with my mastering. (Becuase Maxim inhales as well) the whole key to the gold for ME is L1 ans maxx bass. Q10 is good as well.

But the most important issue is, with my current setup, you would definetly go the plug in route vs. a mid line mic pre or compressor or mic?
Old 06-30-2004, 04:32 PM

The whole gain stageing is important:

Mic
Pre
Converters
Plugs

I also record at 24 bit for better resolution.

I use a Rode K2 into the 002 Rack pres. Very clean and neutral with just a hint of tube. I had the Rode NTK until recently and traded up to the K2. While the K2 isn't as "tubey" sounding as the NTK, it is smoother in the mids and highs, cleaner and isn't as sibilant as the NTK.

I then use the Waves Mastering Plugs to "sweeten" the audio. The L1 is good, but IMHO the L2 is better. Using the Linear Phase Eq, Linear Phase Multiband and then the L2 really does the trick. Of course, this is only spoken word for commercials and narration, not singing, so YMMV. You can purchase the Mastering plugs as a separate bundle or as part of the Broadcast Bundle or the Platinum Bundle.

I know I'm going to get a little flamed because I don't use any outboard gear. However, I've had this discussion innumerable times with producers/engineers and I've managed to make them understand a few things. One: this is straight, dry voice/spoken word in a home studio. I need one knob for gain, not a bunch of settings that I can vary as I have to set the gain and then go into my booth to record. I can't change settings while I'm recording. It's the reason I sold my dbx286a, too many variables to play with. Two: the read, if it's for radio, is usually going to a producer who will be adding his own effects. If it's for TV or a corporate video, I'll ususally add the effects. Three: if I was producing other people, I would have outboard gear as I would be able to set the gear for the performer. I don't, I only produce myself, so I only need a minimal set-up. And four: If I have outboard gear while producing myself and I don't like the effect, I have to reset the outboard gear and re-record the vocal. I can't be bothered. The way I do it now, I get a nice, clean, clear, neutral sound and then can add plug-ins to make the track sound the way I want, if need be. Again, YMMV.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 06-30-2004, 08:41 PM

I was just going to say.... Go get a Rode K2 NOW!!! It's winning awards everywhere.

Man, if the signal you are putting into PT is below par, then it doesn't matter what plugins or outboard comps and fx you have.
Start at the front and work back.