Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 11-28-2018, 09:27 PM

Default Data Recovery of a non-spinning external PT Hard Drive

Anyone use any data recovery service to retrieve their pro tools sessions from a drive that won't boot or spin... was working on a long project tonight and the moment we done, all waveforms dissappeared and the drive says it's empty.. won't spin.. makes clicking noise.. contacted a couple places.. but they want anywhere from $1300-2900 ... just curious if anyone has used any data recovery company that they trust to do the job such as the one described.

Thanks! (and yes.. long story short but my backup drive died 2 weeks earlier ..murphy's law...and I hadn't replaced it.. so I was flying solo for a short bit and of course this happened! now I'm going to be getting all new drives and all new backup method.. hence my other posts on this board just now..)
Old 11-29-2018, 11:56 AM

Default Re: Data Recovery of a non-spinning external PT Hard Drive

I feel your pain!!! With a spinner that just stops, there are some data recovery utilities available for download. How well they work is a crapshoot(I recently tried 2 on a failed drive. One found several thousand files but would not identify them until I paid for the software at $89, so not a horrible deal if I wanted to go for it. The other software could not find any wave files when I specified what to look for).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-06-2018, 10:49 AM

Just a followup. I bought EaseUS Data Recovery software and it recovered tons of files....BUT....so far, none of the sessions will actually open. They throw a message "Unable to open this document because it was created on a newer version of Pro Tools". Of course, all the sessions were created on an older version(most likely 12.xx). I got the same message when trying to import session data into a new, blank session. The only sessions that did open, opened with no audio clips in place, even though the session folder had an Audio Files folder with clips.

Moral of the story: BACK YOUR STUFF UP, RIGHT NOW!!! And then, BACK IT UP AGAIN, to another(3rd) location. The only person to blame for this, is ourselves

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-06-2018, 11:09 AM

the irony.. i JUST purchased that exact same software and did my first backup.. took a breath... and then got this message.. haha.
if it's making an exact clone.. I wonder how PT could be giving that error.. what could be the problem.. I may have to test out a recovery on a different drive and see what happens. Thanks for the info.

I now have purchased a new machine.. have onsite nightly backup and cloud back up as well... can't have this ever happen again.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:22 AM

I'm confused I thought the HDD that won't spin up. A software utility is not going to help there.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:30 AM

no .. that hard drive got sent off to a clean room that is costing me $4000 to retrieve data. The software in question we're talking about is for my new backup system I've put in place on my brand new (practically empty) session drives that I'm now working on while I wait for my recovery data.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:32 AM

hopefully that's $4k if the data is recovered
Old 12-06-2018, 11:38 AM

they say if 60%+ or so of it is recovered, then they'll have to charge me.. but if they only get like 10 files or so.. said they wouldn't obviously charge me that amount.. we'll see... it'll be interesting.. I'm all in.. and holding my friggin' breath....
Old 02-06-2023, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I'm confused I thought the HDD that won't spin up. A software utility is not going to help there.
If the trouble is on the logic control section
(pcb mounted on the external hard drive side)

the solution is to search for another working hard drive
that is the same as the one with trouble

then (if possible) remove the non working pcb and replace it with the one
from the working hard drive

many buy the hard drives in pair
also for this reason

hope this help.
Old 02-06-2023, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post

BACK YOUR STUFF UP, RIGHT NOW!!! And then, BACK IT UP AGAIN, to another(3rd) location.
Dave has been saying this for many years. And guess what... He's right.

If it's not in at least 3 places, we could be facing a very bad day.

I'm sorry to hear this has bitten again.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com