Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2023, 11:41 PM

Default Managing busses/outputs - Deleting, etc...

Rudimentary question here...

I never mess with outputs, and I never delete busses. I create them within sessions or in my template, and I basically leave everything alone.
I have to create some 5.1 templates now, and I'm wanting to be sure I don't goof up.
Are buses (and labels) in the I/O tab stored in each session? Meaning, if I delete all busses from the I/O tab in a session, does it just delete those from that session/template? Or does it affect any other sessions?
Outputs - When I've worked on sessions from other places, sometimes the output assignments have to be redone. No problem. I simply switch them to my normal output routing. But later when I open *different sessions, it seems to be out of whack again. It's almost like injecting that one change starts to affect other sessions.

I guess the question boils down to... which I/O and BUS assignments are STATIC, and which travel with and only inside the session itself?
Hope this make sense. I'm a set-and-forget mixer so I want to ensure I'm doing things correctly as I go about making new templates, changes, etc.
Old 04-29-2023, 04:59 AM

Default Re: Managing busses/outputs - Deleting, etc...

I/O settings are not static and different configurations can be both exported and imported in PT so that you can move those settings between systems or recall them on your own system.
One area people get tripped up is when opening a session they leave the I/O setting on ‘Last Used’ which will load up whatever configuration you used on your last session.

For a better understanding, look at the I/O settings section of the PT Reference Manual. Page 87 is a good place to start.

System Details
Old 04-29-2023, 05:38 AM

To add to the above, an easier way to understand this is that BUSSES will travel with your session in a very clear and obvious state. OUTPUTS generally stay the same for the hardware and room that you are working in.

Therefore, if you make a template with 5.1 busses for outputs, sends, etc, those will travel with that session no matter where you take it.

If bringing to a different facility for a 5.1 mix. As long as you have a 5.1 MAIN buss or MONITOR buss path, that will, and should be, most likely automatically routed to that facilities 5.1 OUTPUT path. As long as the name stays consistent or matching.

If not, you can always go into your I/O setup page and route your 5.1 MONITOR buss path out the facilities 5.1 OUTPUT. You NEVER want to import your studio's output configuration into another facilities room. This will indeed mess up any internal routing they have already done. Nor do you EVER want to open your session in another facility and click on the "Restore from Session" button in the IO Setup (see pic). This will also wipe any OUTPUT settings that facility has already configured.

For your own room. Setup the IO OUTPUTS for the widest available path you have in the room. So if you have a 5.1 speaker setup. Your static room OUTPUTS should always be the 5.1 monitor paths. You can have subpaths if you'd like to accomodate for any other configurations you'd have.

Whether you're working in Stereo or 5.1, this should never need to change. You only work in the template you want to work in and as long as your OUTPUTS are setup accordingly you should never need to worry about loading or reloading an OUTPUT configuration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2023-04-29 at 7.29.02 AM.jpg (46.0 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by its2loud; 04-29-2023 at 05:53 AM.
Old 04-29-2023, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
I/O settings are not static and different configurations can be both exported and imported in PT so that you can move those settings between systems or recall them on your own system.
One area people get tripped up is when opening a session they leave the I/O setting on ‘Last Used’ which will load up whatever configuration you used on your last session.

For a better understanding, look at the I/O settings section of the PT Reference Manual. Page 87 is a good place to start.
Last used has probably gotten me many times. Great reminder thank you!
Old 04-29-2023, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
To add to the above, an easier way to understand this is that BUSSES will travel with your session in a very clear and obvious state. OUTPUTS generally stay the same for the hardware and room that you are working in.

Therefore, if you make a template with 5.1 busses for outputs, sends, etc, those will travel with that session no matter where you take it.

If bringing to a different facility for a 5.1 mix. As long as you have a 5.1 MAIN buss or MONITOR buss path, that will, and should be, most likely automatically routed to that facilities 5.1 OUTPUT path. As long as the name stays consistent or matching.

If not, you can always go into your I/O setup page and route your 5.1 MONITOR buss path out the facilities 5.1 OUTPUT. You NEVER want to import your studio's output configuration into another facilities room. This will indeed mess up any internal routing they have already done. Nor do you EVER want to open your session in another facility and click on the "Restore from Session" button in the IO Setup (see pic). This will also wipe any OUTPUT settings that facility has already configured.

For your own room. Setup the IO OUTPUTS for the widest available path you have in the room. So if you have a 5.1 speaker setup. Your static room OUTPUTS should always be the 5.1 monitor paths. You can have subpaths if you'd like to accomodate for any other configurations you'd have.

Whether you're working in Stereo or 5.1, this should never need to change. You only work in the template you want to work in and as long as your OUTPUTS are setup accordingly you should never need to worry about loading or reloading an OUTPUT configuration.
Thanks for this input! Going to develop new I/O templates with this in mind.
Old 05-01-2023, 07:02 PM

The import/export feature in the I/O menu is a great way to back up your studios configuration, as mentioned by junkgear.

Export settings to a location on your computer and if anything gets changed involuntarily, just import I/O settings back.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O

Last edited by zedhed; 05-01-2023 at 07:32 PM.