Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 06-24-2016, 04:25 PM

Default An unexpected "feature" of the Upgrade and Support Plan

X

Last edited by dolmont; 11-10-2016 at 12:51 AM. Reason: No longer relevant
Old 06-24-2016, 04:35 PM

Default Re: An unexpected "feature" of the Upgrade and Support Plan

The plugins are "free" as long as you keep your support plan. Which is why I chose to ignore them. In 17 years, I've needed Pro Tools support ONCE, but that was in the (good old) Digidesign days, and had to do with the 002 rack power supply harness, which they rectified overnight.
So, I have no plans to keep a support plan or use the added "value" plugins...if I want any of them, I'll buy them outright.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:35 PM

I rarely if ever find myself defending Avid, but they made it VERY clear that the bonus plugins were only included as long as you continued to pay the upgrade fee. It was always designed to make continued purchases of their annual extortion plan, oh, wait, annual, cough cough, SUPPORT plan.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 06-25-2016, 04:17 PM

I don;t mind paying an annual fee however - I want to get something for it as well. Plugins - do I really need them? nope.
as an HD user I really hoped that that more features would be implemented for HD - so far they have not.
Cloud collaboration - I was hoping for the best however CC has failed to deliver as promised - it simply doesn't work as advertised.
I am not sure what going at at Avid but there was change in 2008 (post PT 8) and it doesn't seem to be getting better.
But with that said 12.5.1 is great so far and I love my new Pro tools Docks!
Old 06-25-2016, 04:47 PM

Pro Plugins are Top of the Line algorithms, just now I was testing Pro Limiter vs. Event Horizon and bx_limiter, I like Pro Limiter much more than others.
Pro SubHarmonic is like having a dbx 120xp, the digital emulation that comes in dbx driverack 260 is not as good.

Eleven Mk2 stomp boxes are awesome.

When I purchased my HD12/11/10 upgrade from HD9 I knew some of the plugins were tied to the Support Plan License...

I think of purchasing the Pro Plugins when Support Plan Expires.

http://www.avidblogs.com/new-plug-in...tools-hd-12-2/

I'm happy with HD12.3.1, near flawless...

http://shop.avid.com/ccrz__Products?...alUser=&store=

ProTools HD2017 must be something made by aliens. LOL Jajajajajaja
Click: User lists^
Click: Add to ignore list.
Solved.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:44 AM

I don't disagree with the subscription model per se, especially relating to staying up to date with software etc. As a business it definitely makes sense to make a professional decision and invest in something like that - you never know when you will need it and $$$ of work will be on the line.

However I cannot accept the situation that I see many users in and that is with an unstable - dare I say unusable - version of Protools (12.5), which is probably the reason they did not renew their subscription, now left stranded, unable to qualify for fixes, which I think should be mandatory delivery by Avid.

I don't expect new features, but why do fixes have to come with version updates, what about BUG FIXES? Avid used to release CS updates as I recall, which were just that, free to those who had purchased the relevant version.

My 12.5 install seems ok compared to most of the horror stories I've read here and I'm able to use it mostly unhindered.

I didn't renew my plan because of financial reasons mostly, but I'm pretty unimpressed that Avid seem to view essential fixes to make their product work properly as essentially new features that need to be paid for.

This is more of a rant relating to users I see having major problems with one solution only "Pay up" and even that appears to be a crapshoot.

I'm not even bitching about my own situation really because I'm largely unaffected, but one day I could be one of those users who gets a slap in the face too.

But maybe I'm just clueless. I don't know.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblegum View Post

I don't expect new features, but why do fixes have to come with version updates, what about BUG FIXES? Avid used to release CS updates as I recall, which were just that, free to those who had purchased the relevant version.
100% agree. Whether you are selling software or cars, consumers don't expect to pay to have faults fixed nor should they.