Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 08-28-2011, 05:34 PM

Default Evolution of a "Hero" by X-Mann (Song in progress & clip)

Hey Guys.......

So I've been working on a new song & trying to take this one to a new deeper level........

I started this with loops as I have in all of my past songs......

After listening, reading & talking w/ Chris Beaver I decided it's time to learn more about recordings.......(Real) Mixing & creating drum beats from scratch (aka no more loops)........

This little thread will document the new stuff I'm trying to learn & how it translates to music & recording.......

You can follow my progress & ups & downs....w/ the final track in the end.....(I hope)....

Feel free to comment, help me out, read this & or just laugh at my journey & maybe learn something w/ me along the way.......

So here it is......"Hero" (Fans of Jane).........

(Old Link Removed)

http://soundcloud.com/udamann88/hero...e-form-pre-mix

This link is the updated mix w/ all the beats created in Superior Drummer 2.0 done per the Chris Beaver (midi file) method as he showed us in his youtube video.....

All Guitar tones are the Eleven Rack w/ the expansion pack & Pro-Tools LE

The bass was recorded by Bassmanjazz from the DUC....I did use my 1st plug-in on the bass track per comments from Chris about to much low end.....

I'm still working on the drums & they will change & changes some more......& then probably one more time......lol

I'm finishing up the bridge right now & adding more guitars to a 12-string section......You will also hear the 12-String at the end of the 1st verse......I even double the open E string lick leading into the BIG chorus too.......I may take that out though.......

After the drums & bridge are complete I'll start working on learning to mix, getting help from everyone on this forum.....& using the mixing plug-in that C.B. recommended....

& if things go as planed there might be a special guest appearance (aka Solo) from a new friend.....

Peace! X-Mann

PS - I really enjoy everything this forum has to offer & what it has taught me along the way (& the friendships).....I hope that this helps or amuses you guys in some way, shape or form......lol
Old 08-28-2011, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Evolution of a "Hero" by X-Mann (Song in progress & clip)

Here's my 1st drum creation in SD-2.0.......& I was already told by Chris that I used a rim shot for the snare sound & not a center snare hit........& I had no clue how he knew this either.....ok....well.....now it's kind of obvious to me in hind-site.......lol

I checked it out on the track & this comment was spot on......lol.......So this is fixed on the 1st link w/ the new mix, but here's the screwed-up version for a laugh at my expense.........

(Link Removed)
Old 08-28-2011, 05:38 PM

Here's that 1st drum section w/ the bass on & isolated.......The amazingly cool bass line ur about to hear is not me.....In fact I wish that I could take credit for it.......lol.......It's Bassmanjazz from right here at the DUC........Yea.......This guy can Rock a bass like no other......

(Link Removed)

Listening to the drum track w/ just the bass on made me change it up quiet a bit........

It's great to have full control over the drums, but it also puts YOU in the drummers chair & for me that's not a great idea.......Yet....

I did find myself listening to some of my favorite bands today & isolating the drum parts & just listening to all the little things that make a song work drum wise.....

In time things will only get better.....& I've already learned a little bit about plug-ins, virtual instrument tracks & midi-tracks & well S.D.-2.0 drums........

Good night kids.....

& Peace! X-Mann
Old 09-02-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by udamann88 View Post
Here's that 1st drum section w/ the bass on & isolated.......The amazingly cool bass line ur about to hear is not me.....In fact I wish that I could take credit for it.......lol.......It's Bassmanjazz from right here at the DUC........Yea.......This guy can Rock a bass like no other......

http://soundcloud.com/udamann88/sd-hero-bass

Listening to the drum track w/ just the bass on made me change it up quiet a bit........

It's great to have full control over the drums, but it also puts YOU in the drummers chair & for me that's not a great idea.......Yet....

I did find myself listening to some of my favorite bands today & isolating the drum parts & just listening to all the little things that make a song work drum wise.....

In time things will only get better.....& I've already learned a little bit about plug-ins, virtual instrument tracks & midi-tracks & well S.D.-2.0 drums........

Good night kids.....

& Peace! X-Mann
Sorry about not noticing this post earlier! I will get around to having a listen to it as soon as I have some free time. I did see the latest posting(s) to YouTube though. I can't believe you made it onto and played on a TV show, you are now the most famous guitarist I know .

Schecter Hellraiser 7 Diamond - Ibanez RG7620
Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 09-02-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vercingetorix View Post
Sorry about not noticing this post earlier! I will get around to having a listen to it as soon as I have some free time. I did see the latest posting(s) to YouTube though. I can't believe you made it onto and played on a TV show, you are now the most famous guitarist I know .
Lol.......That was supposed to be a big secret......So......Shhhhhhhh........ Lol

Just for the record.....when you dress-up like "Forrest Gump" & dance around w/ ur guitar like a white-boy in heat........they tend to want to film that.......

Stupid is as Stupid does I always say......

Peace! Forrest......Oops......

I mean.....
Old 09-02-2011, 04:47 PM

NEW Song Update....... NEW Song Update....... NEW Song Update.......

(Link Removed)

Most of the changes are ALL drum parts.....Adding & removing drums......Oh & Velocity......Can't forget about Velocity........Yup....Drum Velocity.....

I did write a Bridge section, but I may Alter that section a little more..........It takes a little twist @ the Bridge & the song takes a Small Trip to 12-String Town.....lol.......I think it works, but I'll test it out in the Jeep tomorrow where I make all my major life choices........

Peace boys, Peace! Dr-X
Old 09-02-2011, 04:50 PM

Oh & I'll just add that the Superior Drummer program is getting a lot easier to use & understand........I still haven's bounced or bussed any drum tracks yet, but the midi file part & editing / adding the drums I get now......

It's time well spent & a great investment money / song wise.........Chris Beaver has been very helpful & very inspirational in helping me learn some new stuff......

Tim......

PS - I did have a CPU overload problem due to this plug-in & I made it worse by setting the CPU usage up to like 95%........which I thought was a good thing & going to fix the problem.......NOT......I guess I was only leaving 5% for the drum plug-in to run on...(oops)....lol.......So I set it to 80% & all seems to be running great now.....

I found this link & it saved my @ss.....I hope that this helps someone else out....

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec0...kshop_1207.htm

PSS - I'm starting to have a lot more guitar tracks then usual this time....Might be due to all the 12-String guitars though.......lol
Old 09-02-2011, 04:53 PM

You should see my finger tips today from trying to get that one decending solo type line right on the 12-String......This guitar has some very high action & is a pita to play & to play it clean without a clam or two.........

I was up last night till 1:45am working on this track (not on the 12-string parts, but over that section) & trying to fix some drum, mixing & pc issues......as well as record a little electric.........& ah.....When I was done I noticed the wife had put a towel under the door of Studio-X & in the moring Mrs-X was pissed & put me in my place.....

She said that she could hear me playing the same few lines over & over.......lol...My bad..... :/

The thing that I LOVE about the bridge is that you're really getting your money's worth as far as the number of guitar stings go......lol

(1) 12-String - No Delay over the entire bridge......
(1) 12-String w/ some delay set to match the tempo over the entire bridge.........I'm also using that great chorus/no amp patch that came in the Exp update...fwiw
(1) 12-String w/ Delay for the little lead runs.....
(1) 6-String Orangsicle Samick Tv Twenty w/ the X-Mod.....playing power chords set wayyyyyy in the back.....
(1) 6-String Plaid Samick guitar on the MOD SOD but the volume rolled very far back for just a little break-up.....
(1) The Orange (6-String) on the Hot Rails Neck Pickup w/ no Delay playing a little melody mixed low at the bridge outro....

So your getting 54-Strings of down home Detroit goodness to start off the weekend people.....

C ya & have a great weekend boys.....Tim
Old 09-05-2011, 07:50 PM

I spent some quality time w/ my 11-Rack this weekend & watched Chris's video quiet a few times as well......

My track is moving forward & progress is being made........

I'm starting to get the hang of S.D.-2.0 as well............I'm not even close to done, but I'll get there.......

Enjoy......

(Link Removed)
Old 09-06-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by udamann88 View Post
I spent some quality time w/ my 11-Rack this weekend & watched Chris's video quiet a few times as well......

My track is moving forward & progress is being made........

I'm starting to get the hang of S.D.-2.0 as well............I'm not even close to done, but I'll get there.......

Enjoy......

http://soundcloud.com/udamann88/hero-2nd-vrs-9-5-11
This is starting to sound very cool bro. i cant get some of those melodies out of my head so you've obviously done something very right