Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2018, 08:34 PM

Default Getting files into a session after importing without copying

I imported a bunch of files into three sessions, and apparently neglected to make copies of the files when doing so. I've found resources on how to (re)link to files that have moved, but in my case, the files are still in the same place and the sessions work, but I want to maintain the audio in the sessions. I looked at workspace browser, and there was a duplicate command, but I'm not sure what that does.

In case it has any bearing, the files I imported are two channel, but dual mono, so I already deleted all the .R (right) tracks, because they are unneeded. I did not spot a way to only import one channel of a file on import. There is an "interleave" option, but I'm only working with mono audio, so that didn't seem to necessarily be a good choice (in the future, if I ever do a similar import, although very unlikely).

thanks

Last edited by bob2014; 07-24-2018 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:43 PM

Default Re: Getting files into a session after importing without copying

In your session, open the workspace browser (default), find your pro tools session, click on the arrow next to it so it drops down and shows folders. You should have an Audio Files folder. Select the Audio Files folder. In the right section, highlight all your files and then right-click and select "Copy and Relink" (It's in the 6th subsection of the right-click menu)

When you do that, it'll copy all the used files to that session's "Audio Files" folder and then relink in the session. Then you will be working with copied files as if you copied on import. Then Save your Pro Tools session so it keeps your session linked to these new, separated copies.

Do the same for your other Pro Tools sessions. Make sure all the sessions are in different folders first before opening them so that their "Audio Files" folders will be separate from each other. Or if you aren't worried about that, then they can all be in the same folder but in that case, the "Copy" part of copy and relink will put all the new copied files in the same "Audio Files" folder and if you use the same file in different pro tools sessions, Pro Tools will give the second copy a new name (Usually "Name-1") so they don't copy over each other.

Last edited by BScout; 07-24-2018 at 10:06 PM. Reason: clarification/typo
Old 07-24-2018, 09:44 PM

Are you asking how to ensure that the audio gets copied into the project when you import? If so, Preferences > Processing > Import > Automatically Copy Files on Import.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:08 PM

Thanks a million for that! I will try that soon. Hopefully the fact that I imported dual mono (2 track) audio won't require me to delete the .R track, but in any case all the work I did on track naming, sizing, etc., will hopefully be intact. I realize this is not a common situation. (The dual mono files were create for a cassette dubber house in the mid 90's.)

Last edited by bob2014; 07-24-2018 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigFriedChicken View Post
Are you asking how to ensure that the audio gets copied into the project when you import? If so, Preferences > Processing > Import > Automatically Copy Files on Import.
I am asking how to get files into the session (after I imported with out copying) (and I got a good reply on how to do that) but for the future, that preference will be handy. thanks!
Old 07-24-2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2014 View Post
Thanks a million for that! I will try that soon. Hopefully the fact that I imported dual mono (2 track) audio won't require me to delete the .R track, but in any case all the work I did on track naming, sizing, etc., will hopefully be intact. I realize this is not a common situation. (The dual mono files were create for a cassette dubber house in the mid 90's.)
Another option is to do a "Save Copy In" and check in "Items to Copy"> Audio Files.

This will create a new, clean session and definitely keep all your file naming the same in a new Audio Files folder created.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:42 PM

I just tried the "Save Copy In" method, and it seemed to work perfectly! And a really good thing: the tracks were all (still) mono, i.e., it didn't bring in the dual mono 2 track files as had occurred in the original import. thanks much

Last edited by bob2014; 07-31-2018 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:29 PM

Quote:
You, sir, are a rock star. I have been burned more times than I can count when a file I recorded elsewhere wasn't copied into my session. I think there's a way to do it manually, but having Pro Tools do it automatically is the way to go. I salute you, sir! Thank you!
Audient iD44
Pro Tools 2020
Old 03-09-2021, 08:27 AM

Quote:
I've had problems with files NOT being copied on import even though I have set this pref is set to do so. Caution!
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 03-09-2021, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
I've had problems with files NOT being copied on import even though I have set this pref is set to do so. Caution!
Me too^^^ At this point, I tend to copy files into the destination session folder and import from there. Its not elegant, but it is safe

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave