Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 01-13-2021, 10:46 AM

Default Ilok or computer?

I have a home studio and I can't see a time where I'll be doing any mobile recording or have a need to bring my plugins to another studio. Is it just better to move all of my iLok activations to my iMac and put the USB key in a drawer and forget about it?
Old 01-13-2021, 11:17 AM

Default Re: Ilok or computer?

I'm a bit unclear on the question, so here is my general iLok advice:
1-have a clear way to access your iLok account(if you can't remember all the login details, write them down on a Post-it and stick it to the back of your screen or speakers)
2-when working(using the iLok), have all your licenses on it. Cloud licensing is not reliable. This way, you can use the iLok at home or take it with you if needed(having the iLok stuck in the back of your iMac is probably a very safe spot for it).
3-if you use the iLok on a laptop, either connect the iLok to a hub or a "dongle buddy" so it doesn't get damaged by bumping it(a "dongle buddy" is a short USB cable so the iLok can freely swing).
4-if you are going to put things away for a time, open your iLok manager software(with the iLok connected) and de-activate all your licenses, which puts them back in the cloud for safe keeping. That way, if you lose or break the physical iLok, all your licenses are still available from your online iLok account(just re-activate them to another iLok).
5-buy the ZDT insurance and refresh the TLC feature every couple of months.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-14-2021, 09:20 AM
Avid

Default Re: Ilok or computer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeee123 View Post
I have a home studio and I can't see a time where I'll be doing any mobile recording or have a need to bring my plugins to another studio. Is it just better to move all of my iLok activations to my iMac and put the USB key in a drawer and forget about it?
If you're on Pro Tools 2018 and later, you have the option to activate it using the iLok Cloud but not directly on your computer. You'll need to be connected to the internet while using Pro Tools if using the iLok Cloud. Note that this is different from activating directly on your computer.
Personally, I'd suggest having everything on your dongle and have the dongle on your system at all times in case of internet outage.
-Tope