Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 06-10-2022, 12:13 PM

Default Pro tools Studio and Hd Native.

Hello everyone. Is it possible to use the Native HD card with Pro tools Studio and Digilink I/O license, or do I have to subscribe to Pro Tools Flex?
Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-10-2022, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Pro tools Studio and Hd Native.

Studio will not work with HD Native. You need Ultimate software, which could be a Pro Tools Ultimate perpetual license or a Pro Tools Flex subscription.
Old 06-10-2022, 10:20 PM

Can't you just use the CoreAudio driver in Studio?
Old 06-11-2022, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJENSEN View Post
Can't you just use the CoreAudio driver in Studio?
No. The coreaudio support works through Avid audio server which doesn't operate in Pro Tools.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 06-14-2022, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
No. The coreaudio support works through Avid audio server which doesn't operate in Pro Tools.
So, the HD Native can be used via Core Audio with any program other than Pro Tools? I've used it with iZotope RX and Reaper. PT Studio will use Core Audio for other devices. That implies that PT Studio actively blocks an Avid interface when available via Core Audio. If so, that's dirty. That's jabbing your customer in the eye for the fun of it.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 06-14-2022, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
So, the HD Native can be used via Core Audio with any program other than Pro Tools? I've used it with iZotope RX and Reaper. PT Studio will use Core Audio for other devices. That implies that PT Studio actively blocks an Avid interface when available via Core Audio. If so, that's dirty. That's jabbing your customer in the eye for the fun of it.
What do you mean “if so”. Nothing has changed, Digilink interfaces have always required Pro Tools Ultimate or before that HD. No version of Pro Tools has never worked with the DigiLink CoreAudio or ASIO drivers. This artificial restriction is well documented, and has been discussed a lot before on DUC.

Low-end Digilink HD Native setups increasing make no sense. I would be running not walking to modern third party more open/flexible/powerful and better supported interfaces (look at folks struggling with HD Native/external chassis issues on Apple Silicon). Sell that gear and maybe perpetual Ultimate licenses while it still has some value.
Old 06-14-2022, 12:20 PM

Quote:
hahahaha

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 06-14-2022, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Low-end Digilink HD Native setups increasing make no sense. I would be running not walking to modern third party more open/flexible/powerful and better supported interfaces
For sure. I never tried using the one at my work with a Vanilla/Studio license. But I always assumed it would work if I had. It's just really low of Avid to offer the use of their interface with everything except their own most commonly owned software. I guess I shouldn't be shocked after all these years.

Old 06-14-2022, 12:59 PM

Quote:
For sure. I never tried using the one at my work with a Vanilla/Studio license. But I always assumed it would work if I had. It's just really low of Avid to offer the use of their interface with everything except their own most commonly owned software. I guess I shouldn't be shocked after all these years.
Well, it never would have worked and Avid never made any claims that it would(and often reiterated that HD/Ultimate software was a requirement). So now, Avid has doubled the input count(from 32 to 64) for Studio and you still think its unfair? I guess there's no pleasing some folks...

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-14-2022, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
So now, Avid has doubled the input count(from 32 to 64) for Studio and you still think its unfair? I guess there's no pleasing some folks...
1 or a million inputs, the point is, if I wanted to, I could use the thunderbolt HD Native/Omni with Cubase, Reaper, Studio One, or any other DAW I wanted. But if I want to use it with Pro Tools, I have to fork out the big bucks. They're basically telling customers, "thanks for the dough, now go away."