Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-28-2003, 04:22 PM

Default PC user here, but for how long?

I am a PC user. Do to some recent issues with my PC, I have been considering coming over to the MAC side of things. I checked out your Dave C thread to see how the newer systems and OS X and PT 6 were performing before I decided. Reading through it at first discouraged me slightly i will say. As for my PC, I just built a new one as an upgrade, and I have never run the Dave C tests, but I know it would do the typical 32+5 or whatever. I for a moment considered staying PC then again I thought to my self who really needs 160 plug ins? As I thought back on my sessions I realized I think at most I may have had 20 plugs in a session with maybe 2 of those being verbs. So I can say this, benchmarks aside I am still considering a MAC, for the same reasons a lot of you swear by them. Not to mention I am also getting into Digital Video production, and that field is definately Mac sided as well. I have used PC's for over 10 years, I have worked in tech support for Gateway, I can build a stable PC with my eyes closed, if nothing else it is time for me to learn the ways of the Mac. I have some basic knowledge already, considering my school uses Macs, and the studio I work for uses a mac. However if anyone out there could give me some concerns I might run across, or if anyone has any reasons why I shouldn't go Mac, and stay PC please let me know, I am still debating this in my head and would appreciate anything I may not have thought of yet. I would appreciate honest opinions, especially if you have experience with both PC and Mac running a Digi 001 and what you noticed.

Thanks

P.S. PLTE 6 Is pretty too! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2003, 05:33 PM

Default Re: PC user here, but for how long?

If you're getting into video, I'd definitely check out the real time card DV STorm2...nothing like it on the Mac for DV...as far as I know.
5 layers of video with no rendering, unlimited moving titles, and heaps of amazing transistions. Works like a dream on XP.
www.just-edit.com

Before you sell your PC software, I'd wait for AMD new Opteron cpu (clawhammer and sledge hammer) which is about to be released...should make PC users wonder if they need the dsp power of a HD system. I could dig up a link if you like...sounds awesome...and I've been Intel a long time.

http://www.hightekpc.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&re q=viewarticle&artid=27&pa ge=1

It will thrash Intel AND 970

Another annoying thing for Mac users is the fact that despite Apple now providing the latest and greater DVD burner from Sony (DRU500A)...it is somehow crippled by Apple because they won't let you burn DVD+R/RW...just DVD-R

Theres no stopping the march of the ever more powerful PC...Mac is lagging with an old cpu and only rumours of going to IBM970
Old 02-28-2003, 05:53 PM

Sorry about the multipost guys...peakhour slow ISP response, thought DUC had gone down as well.
Old 02-28-2003, 06:07 PM

you can delete them by clicking on the 'edit post' button next to each post (the paper and pencil icon). There's a checkbox to 'delete post' on the edit page.
Old 02-28-2003, 06:14 PM

Done...thanks
Old 02-28-2003, 06:50 PM

Reading that article about the opteron really spun me into a loop. Especially since I realized that the new G4's dont support OS 9, which at this point in time i NEED. If I could find a decent deal on a slightly older G4, one of those nice ones they had a few months ago, I might still consider it, but for now it may be worth it just to wait a few months and slap a new 3000+ athlon in my system and watch it rock.

Mac users, please give me more reason to switch.
Old 02-28-2003, 07:51 PM

Datus,

Keep in mind you're going to have to replace all your software, and spend a bit more on the machine than a PC.
However, that being said, coming over to a mac from a PC is something that is hard to quantify to PC'ers.

But let me try.

Macs are just more intuative. They let you focus more on being productive and less on keeping your machine running properly. They do crash less in OSX, and don't let the speed thing fool you, PC and Macs are pretty comparable in most aspects. Macs also hold their value better and don't become obsolete as quick. Also in OSX, I am able to run like 15 programs at the same time without any problems.

I am a programmer by trade, and I choose to work on a Mac even though 99% of what I develop gets deployed on a PC. It's just easier for me.

As for ProTools, you can still get OS9 disks and create a dual boot machine. I run ProTools on my OS9 partition and then boot into OSX for everything else. I havent had a chance to run PT 6.0 yet as it's going to require a pretty serious upgrade of plugs.

Ultimately you need to decide on the cost and the time to learn a new OS. But if you do, you won't regret it, and you'll wonder why you spent so many wasted hours screwing around with your PC. The saying goes "get a mac and get some work done.

Follow the light!

(This is be no means a PC bashing. Everything is IMHO and YMMV etc.)

Chonk

P.S. I am gone on vacation for the next week, so you can flame away without any rebuttals from me. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2003, 08:16 PM

clearly, if I were you, I would buy the PC ... load her up! top o the line everything! get them neon lights for the interior of the case with the clear plastic sides. Super Fans, oh yeah baby ya got to have the thermaltake Godzilla! Let's see what then?....... I know: you could put all your posts on the PC thread ... and your little Delton toooo.

Cackle cackle, cough cough.
Old 02-28-2003, 09:04 PM

Hey. I switched to Macs about six months ago. I have a detailed PC background. There are certain things about Macs I like. External hardware is easy to hook up, and I don't have to worry about maintenance as much. Pretty stable, but not crash proof.

I would not claim that it is more intuitive. I know PCs well and am crippled by the OS9 interface, mainly due to inconsistencies and clumsiness. OSX is a lot better in this regard.

The main reason I opted for a Mac was direct compatibility with other PT based studios and it serves its purpose well. If I didn't need this, I'd have stayed with PCs.
Old 02-28-2003, 09:36 PM

Location: From: Trinidad (Humboldt Co.); living: somewhere between Chicago and St.Louis...

Hi Engramic, and all...What crippled you about OS 9? I find it more intuitive than OS X, although X's not bad either.
Here, maybe this will entice you to the light...Altiverb, baby, Altiverb. Among a whole other list of stable, great sounding plugs, created exclusively for the Mac.
If you're looking for more reasons, here's one: Configure less work more (more uptime), get more work done, get more contracts, get paid more...need I say more.
Although I must admit that XP is getting closer to a real operating system. And Gigasampler rocks (so does Acid)...that's why you should keep your PC and add a Mac. Everyone always "switches"...geesh... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] ...
Get a Mac to go next to your PC (OS X's great at file-sharing w/ Windows, and XP's not bad for Windows) and have both... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Though if I had to choose... [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]