Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2023, 12:35 AM

Default MTRX Studio with Hd Native and HD I/O 16x16 Analogue. Anyone with this setup?

Hi guys,

I'm looking at a MTRX Studio to substitute my HD Omni, which is now connected to an HD Native Thunderbolt card and an HD I/O 16x16 Analog through the 2 DigiLink ports.

On the manual I see that Port 2 of the MTRX Studio can be configured as an expansion port and I found this on page 27:

DigiLink
MTRX Studio can be configured as either two Primary audio interfaces (Pri/Pri) with both DigiLink Mini ports connected to an HDX or HD Native card, or as a Primary audio interface and an Expansion audio interface (Pri/Exp) with the primary DigiLink Mini port connected to an HDX or HD Native card and the second DigiLink Mini port connected to another audio interface (such as an HD I/O).

Is it safe to say that I should be able to replace my HD Omni? I don't see anyone using the MTRX Studio with an HD I/O anywhere (YouTube, audio forums, or even AVID or Sweetwater) is there any downside by doing so?

I think I will only just need 16 channels of I/O but an extra 16 from my current HD I/O would be sweet to keep. Unless someone tells me it's not possible or not recommended.

Thank you for any help and recommendations.

Last edited by baslotto; 01-24-2023 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-24-2023, 01:44 AM

Default Re: MTRX Studio with Hd Native and HD I/O 16x16 Analogue

The MTRX Studio can appear in Pro Tools in one of three ways:

One 32x32 interface, which means it is set to Primary/Primary mode and one digilink cable is used to connect it to your HDN interface.

Two 32x32 interfaces, which is the same as above but two digilink cables are used to connect it to your HDN interface.

Or one 16x16 interface, which means it is set to Primary/Expansion mode. One digilink cable is used to connect it to your HDN interface. The MTRX Studio keeps 16 IO for itself, and the remaining 16 IO is dedicated to whatever device you hang off the MTRX Studio expansion port.

Personally I don't see much point in using the MTRX Studio in expansion mode at all. It will technically work, but if you leave it in Primary/Primary mode and connect just one digilink cable you will have 32x32 IO via the MTRX. Then use Port 2 on your HDN interface to connect your HD I/O and Omni* for more inputs and outputs from Pro Tools.

*it is probably worth double checking it the Omni will work in this way. I've never tried it, and I know it has some terms and conditions to using it in expanded setups.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.

Last edited by LDS; 01-24-2023 at 01:55 AM.