Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 07-11-2022, 10:28 PM

Default Re: Adding AES to the MTRX Studio with a 192 Digital IO

Thanks, LDS for enlightening me to the DX-32R. It actually looks quite promising, and offers more formats than the Focusrite box, while priced similarly. Assuming it can follow sample rate from the MTRX Studio, I think it might be the ticket, although it is Dante which I haven't grown any fonder of since the beginning of this thread.

I've looked at a few other format converter options, but they all seem to either not include WC input (which, in the case of Dante would be necessary to follow the sample rate), or are ADAT (and thus limited to 48khz since I need 12ch), or are more expensive for fewer features.

The full MTRX with AES+cards is definitely the "best" solution but as soon as you add even two of those expansion cards for just 8 analog ins and outs, it pushes the price way above the MTRX Studio + [DX32R or D16R] combo, while offering less than half of the analog I/O.

Combining the above with the fact that probably none of these units that we've mentinoined will ship until winter paints a bleak landscape. I'm almost starting to warm back up to the 192's quirks, or even going back to using up most of my analog outs and dealing with DA to AD to DA with the Genelecs. Things sound a bit better via AES but it hasn't been convenient.
Old 07-11-2022, 10:38 PM

Could see if you could find a RedNet D16 AES somewhere, maybe a dealer has stock of the original one (at less $ than the MkII).
Old 07-12-2022, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
I'm still kind of amazed this even worked...
Totally!
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 07-12-2022, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
Could see if you could find a RedNet D16 AES somewhere, maybe a dealer has stock of the original one (at less $ than the MkII).
100%.

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting
Old 01-16-2023, 12:32 AM

im starting to bang my head against this issue as well. sorry to hijack this thread but i come with another possible solution as well. First I want to ask if the monitor channels with dsp eq can be sent via dante to an aes out?

And second the lynx aurora 16 has 16 aes and they make a dante card that apparently works with it. I cant vouch for that yet but the aurora 16aes is how i am running my 7.1.4 system now via digilink.

My plan would be to get the mtrx studio and a dante card for the lynx to maintain the aes.
Old 01-16-2023, 02:16 AM

SPQ processing is agnostic on formats. It doesn’t care if DA, ADAT, or Dante.
It also has no idea what you are doing with the signal after it leaves the box; that includes taking Dante out and converting to AES.
Old 01-16-2023, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
SPQ processing is agnostic on formats. It doesn’t care if DA, ADAT, or Dante.
It also has no idea what you are doing with the signal after it leaves the box; that includes taking Dante out and converting to AES.

sounds good. Thanks.