Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 05:00 PM

Default importing multiple tempo/meter maps..how?

Hi!
Here is one that has me completely stumped:
How can I import more than one tempo/meter/marker map?

I currently have a very long song I am working on, and decided to use another song in front of it. Both songs will need to be merged into one song tho. And that is where things fall apart...

Each song has multiple tempo and meter changes (prog rock..I am a self-indulgent bitch, to some extent ). So, if I begin with song one open, save as, and then "move song start" or leave it where it is, and then use the offset parameter in the Import Session Data dialogue to align the import to the (near) end of song one, right where I want the "splice" to occur, everything works fine...except if I import song two's tempo/meter/marker map, it erases song one's tempo/meter/markers map, even though there is NO overlap!!!

I am using DVT2, so I have access to the expanded (HD minus ICON stuff) "Import Session Data" stuff (cannot live without it!). But, I can find no way to retain the original tempo/meter/markers.

Any Obi Wan's out there with a solution?

I have this REALLY bad feeling I will need to use Logic 8; export as .mid for each song in PT, open in L8, copy paste song two into song one, save, and then export from Logic 8 as a single, new file, then create a session in PT, import it, save, close, open the merged session, import the session data and THEN I will get the full tempo/meter/markers... if L8 were not broken with that right now... <sigh>
Old 11-11-2007, 11:57 AM

Default Re: importing multiple tempo/meter maps..how?

Silence.
I guess this is something Pro Tools cannot do then?

Digi! Please could we have a "Merge tempo/meter/markers maps" feature please? Take your time... I know you are a busy beaver!
Old 11-11-2007, 01:46 PM

ProTools will always write over your tempo map if you import one from another session.

There are some subtle things that PT will do with tempo changes within midi regions though...
I've seen it pull out "marker" information into the rulers from imported midi before so you could try creating a midi tempo map of each of your songs then importing those two midi files into your combined session an see what PT does with it - can't say it'll work, but I've seen stranger things.

Since PT can't do this feature yet, this would be a big find if you could care to try it and report back.

Mike
Old 11-11-2007, 04:15 PM

Hi!
Unfortunately I have not discovered any way to do this. My initial try was opening song one, and importing song two with an offset, including the tempo/meter/markers map. Overwrote the original. Next up was moving the song start to the end of song one, import, and still use the offset...which this time erased all the tempo/meter/marker info prior to song start and imported the song two info properly...a the new song start.

Using .mid files did not work either. So, I opened song one .mid file in Logic, then opened song two .mid file, select all in song two (including tempo/meter/markers) and pasted into song one at the point I wanted. Close song two, save song one, export selected as .mid file. Now, you'd think that was a brilliant maneuver...lol...yeah, not so much. Turns out Logic 8 (or me) has a HUGE bug with .mid export and markers. All the markers exported from Logic as the file names of the graphics pieces they use, the color calls, and finally- my naming. The markers names exceeded what PT can utilize (looked ot be about 70-100 characters or so), were all truncated, so I got my tempo/meters, but not marker names. Plus, the tempo/meter map needed some...erm...correction. So it appears that with PT and Logic, there is no way to do this easily. Oh- and I posted in the windows side simply because I used to hang here before running away
Old 11-11-2007, 04:54 PM

And just when you think it is safe to come back...

What a nightmare.

I opened the .mid file in a new session. Rename all the markers. Everything looks nice. Now I try to do some cleaning and editing of things, and I find the import over an existing is merging markers. Sometimes. More cleaning, and I decide to cut a section of the song out. Hahahaha! What a joke! I use Time Operations->Cut Time, set all tracks to sample based so they stay put, and even group song one's regions, adn then song two's regions. Two BIG regions now. I use Cut Time to eliminate some space between the two songs, and... it erases ALL my markers after the point of the first cut! LMAO!!! What an absolute POS app.... Pro? Yeah, for audio. Forget any other kind of work that is beyond the basics I guess.

It really baffles me that there is not ONE single app that works right now. SOnar doesn't count- it is missing a basic editing tool/feature PT has that I use constantly. Logic cant do absolute bar edits with odd time sigs. DP does not do MIDI loop recording to create a new take each pass. Cubase...well, C4.1 is a nice step up, but still bunk. Almost ready to go back to a damn four track for ideas and tape for tracking...
Old 11-11-2007, 09:27 PM

Too bad we couldnt have two instances of PT open and copy/paste between the two like we can in Reaper. *cough*

I've been trying a few things on my end looking for a work around. Nothing yet at this point.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 11-11-2007, 10:05 PM

Yeah, I am losing my f'in mind with this. PT is so damn spastic with how it works. I have had tempo/meter/markers rulers superimpose, then erase one part, erase all, etc. Inconsistency at it's finest. PT seems to hate when you play with ruler content. I wanted to come back to PT so badly, but if this is what it is still like, it simply is not worth the aggravation.

Ruler manipulation is crap, no 5.1, *only* 48 tracks, only 32 busses (can you imagine trying to do 5.1 with 32 busses?), no delay comp, no MIDI/piano roll editor (dedicated, with multiple CC lanes), no comping facilities (unless you use the soon-to-be Shane Comp)...should I even go on? Logic has critical bugs for me, DP sux...<sigh> I am close to dropping all fo it and grabbing a damn PARIS rig...

OK, maybe I am just over-frustrated... lol...
Old 11-12-2007, 12:20 AM

Copy the Ruler data in Song II, then Import the Session Data from Song I and then Paste the Ruler data from Song II. (Adjust).

filosofem
Old 11-12-2007, 01:40 AM

Quote:
....How can I import more than one tempo/meter/marker map?
For your viewing pleasure:

Import Multi MTMK Maps QT version.

Import Multi MTMK Maps GIF animation.

Shane

(**and yeah, everything she said damn it!)

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 11-12-2007, 09:50 AM

OK, that just sux. I tried that as the very first potential solution....grrrr... I will need to figure what I did wrong, since there is video proof that it does work. Can you copy the markers as well? I guess I could go in and create new ones if I must, not too bad.

Will try again! Thanks so much for showing it can be done!