Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2022, 10:14 AM

Default MTRX Studio basic questions

Hey guys,

Been thinking of getting a MTRX studio and have some basic questions that I wanted some clarity on.

1. Currently running an Avid HD 16x16, 8x8x8, and an omni, don't really need all the IO. Might shuffle down to the MTRX studio and the 8x8x8. Question - Are the converters on the MTRX studio a noticeable upgrade from the Avid HD stuff?

2. I know the MTRX requires you to put in the delay comp values in Protools for running inserts, but will I run into trouble simply running analog outs from both the MTRX studio and an Avid HD I/O unit at the same time into my Burl Summing B32? Seems to me each unit has different latencies for the DA.

3. The DAD software kind of intimidates me haha... Once its set, does it need to be opened each time before running protools? I went to an HDX system from an apogee and UA setup to get away from the second layer of software. I don't mind setting it for my basic needs and forgetting it until something needs to change, but having to interact with each time might be a bummer.

Thanks!
HD Native
HD Omni
HD 8x8x8
HD 16x16
S1 x3
Old 12-14-2022, 12:35 PM
Avid

Default Re: MTRX Studio basic questions

Greetings,

Obviously my opinions are my own, so please either ask others their opinions on the quality of the converters, or better, borrow one and record with it.

:)

The converters are excellent and absolutely an upgrade from the HD series devices.

If you are planning on feeding into a summing mixer -> which then feeds a monitor section you literally will almost never need to launch DADman once you've established all of your patches which are then sent to the hardware crosspoint matrix.

If needing a monitor section, whether Stereo or Atmos, DADman will need to be always running.

I would recommend using the 16 DA's on the MTRX Studio to feed your summing amp (single DigiLink cable to HDX Card 1 Port 1: 32 channels) and then keep one of your HD IO's if you do want to do hardware inserts (single DigiLink cable to HDX Card 1 Port 2). This should give you the most flexibility and best fidelity.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 12-14-2022, 01:20 PM

Thanks for the info.

So to utilize the monitor outs on the MTRX Studio DADman software will need to be launched correct?
HD Native
HD Omni
HD 8x8x8
HD 16x16
S1 x3
Old 12-14-2022, 01:57 PM
Avid

You only need to have DADman running actively if you are taking advantage of ProMon - which is a powerful custom monitoring environment which can accommodate anything from Stereo to 9.1.6 Dolby Atmos.

Certainly, if you simply want to address any of the outputs on the MTRX Studio, be they DB25, TRS monitor, or Cue1 or Cue2 you can do so directly from Pro Tools (after patching as mentioned) and not require DADman be open.

Let me know if you will be monitoring with DADman or with some other device downstream of your summing mixer.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 12-14-2022, 02:52 PM

My current monitoring setup is digital out from the omni into a DBOX + controlling two sets of stereo monitors. I have my 16x16 feeding my summing mixer that is then piped back into a set of inputs into protools to monitor when armed. I don't always sum with the Burl.
HD Native
HD Omni
HD 8x8x8
HD 16x16
S1 x3
Old 12-14-2022, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG602 View Post
My current monitoring setup is digital out from the omni into a DBOX + controlling two sets of stereo monitors. I have my 16x16 feeding my summing mixer that is then piped back into a set of inputs into protools to monitor when armed. I don't always sum with the Burl.
Personally I would ditch the HD interface and get something that does Dante and control everything from DADman.
If you use the HD interface then it cannot be easily integrated into Pro Mon.

It will take you a few days to get to grips with Dadman and Promon, if you can use Pro Tools then you can use this.
It is less complicated.

I am always going into Dadman to change routing, sending things directly to the monitors or to Pro Tools.

You may find you do not need the DBox for monitor control.
Dadman can do pretty much anything you want, and if you need a hardware controller for you can use an iPad or some other tablet, also DAD make a MOM.

I use both.

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting