How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 07-24-2021, 04:13 AM

Default Re: PT 11 unable to open in Big Sur 11.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Backdate your OSX install - you'll never get PT11 running on Big Sur. Period. The last stable OSX PT11 ran on was Sierra but some import options weren't working right.
Yes, exactly. 2017 MBA should be able to run 10.10 which is last supported OS for PT11. Wanting to use current OS requires PT upgrade (reinstatement)
Old 07-24-2021, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Yes, exactly. 2017 MBA should be able to run 10.10 which is last supported OS for PT11. Wanting to use current OS requires PT upgrade (reinstatement)
And that is almost impossible to get - even eBay doesn't have anyone selling them. Sweetwater doesn't have them anymore and as we all know Avid stopped selling them. So it's $599 full boat price for PT vanilla. Backdating OSX would be cheaper (and partition the system drive so you can have Big Sur and 10.10.x on the same machine).

QAPLA!
Old 07-24-2021, 04:55 AM

HAving Big Sur coexist with older OS has its own quirks though, so for old laptop -- assuming point is keep using PT11 for cost reasons -- is the way to go. It will also be faster like that, experience with Big Sur may not be so great.

With that said people have reported good enough experience using Sierra. That may be the sweetest spot for OP because obviously nothing is being updated here in the foreseeable future.

I would still however try to find that reinstatement code and get PT up to date, there will be a day in the coming years that OP wishes to update the laptop to a newer model and at that time using PT11 is already beyond impossible.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:44 AM

Well… I almost give up with the current combination.

I will say, before I make any rash decisions, that I had PT working pretty much flawlessly for a handful of weeks after I updated to Big Sur… So, it’s inability to boot is a little bit of a mystery.

So… I’m considering just plunking down for $599 for a perpetual license.

Here is the next conundrum… On the PT compatibility page, it shows that the 7,2 MacBook Air that I have, which has and an Intel i7 processor at 2.2 GB is not supported, while the same MacBook Air made two years earlier seems to be. What sense does that make?

Not sure how to proceed. I’d hate to spend 600 bucks and find out that the stupid computer won’t work with PT. I’m almost tempted to go with Reaper and then just import the audio files into my desktop PT. Which is 11, by the way, working on a much older build with windows 10.

I would have hoped that Avid would have their act in gear a little more these days regarding compatibility and how their product works on the common person’s computer. I guess not.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post

I would still however try to find that reinstatement code and get PT up to date.
Find that reinstatement code?
Old 08-03-2021, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Kelly View Post
Well… I almost give up with the current combination.

I will say, before I make any rash decisions, that I had PT working pretty much flawlessly for a handful of weeks after I updated to Big Sur… So, it’s inability to boot is a little bit of a mystery.

So… I’m considering just plunking down for $599 for a perpetual license.

Here is the next conundrum… On the PT compatibility page, it shows that the 7,2 MacBook Air that I have, which has and an Intel i7 processor at 2.2 GB is not supported, while the same MacBook Air made two years earlier seems to be. What sense does that make?

Not sure how to proceed. I’d hate to spend 600 bucks and find out that the stupid computer won’t work with PT. I’m almost tempted to go with Reaper and then just import the audio files into my desktop PT. Which is 11, by the way, working on a much older build with windows 10.

I would have hoped that Avid would have their act in gear a little more these days regarding compatibility and how their product works on the common person’s computer. I guess not.
Once again there's no way you had PT11 working pretty much flawlessly on Big Sur. Things like import audio did not work right on Sierra - you had to drag in from Finder. That's only one little bit. And BS would only be worse.

What are the exact specs of your MacBook Air? Something you could try is download the demo of the current version of PT and see how that works.

QAPLA!
Old 08-03-2021, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Once again there's no way you had PT11 working pretty much flawlessly on Big Sur. Things like import audio did not work right on Sierra - you had to drag in from Finder. That's only one little bit. And BS would only be worse.

What are the exact specs of your MacBook Air? Something you could try is download the demo of the current version of PT and see how that works.
OK… That might’ve been a bit of hyperbole… I use my laptop almost solely for recording on location, and then I import the whole session into my PC. As far as I could tell, it was working flawlessly… for what I needed… In my limited scope… I don’t think I have ever had a version of PT that ever worked flawlessly… 😤😩

So, here are my specs:

MacBook Air 2017
Big Sur 11.5
2.2 GHz dual core Intel core i7
8GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel HD graphics 6000 1536 MB

I know it would be useful, if possible, to up the RAM on this computer to at least 16 GB… Are these memory sticks openly available for MacBook Airs?

It seems odd that the 2015 version of this computer is on their compatibility list, but this particular one is not mentioned. I suppose I could try to contact avid directly for verification?

I love the idea of trying a trial version. I should do that right now. Thank you for that idea!
Old 08-03-2021, 12:09 PM

Quote:
OK… That might’ve been a bit of hyperbole… I use my laptop almost solely for recording on location, and then I import the whole session into my PC. As far as I could tell, it was working flawlessly… for what I needed… In my limited scope… I don’t think I have ever had a version of PT that ever worked flawlessly… 😤😩

So, here are my specs:

MacBook Air 2017
Big Sur 11.5
2.2 GHz dual core Intel core i7
8GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel HD graphics 6000 1536 MB

I know it would be useful, if possible, to up the RAM on this computer to at least 16 GB… Are these memory sticks openly available for MacBook Airs?

It seems odd that the 2015 version of this computer is on their compatibility list, but this particular one is not mentioned. I suppose I could try to contact avid directly for verification?

I love the idea of trying a trial version. I should do that right now. Thank you for that idea!
I doubt that PT 2021.6 will run adequately on your MBA. Modern PT wants to see a minimum of 16 gig. Your MBA is not expandable beyond 8 gig. And that slow CPU won't do you any favors either. For successful portable operation you're going to need a new computer (or backdate to Sierra to keep running PT11). Was there any real reason you went to Big Sur?

QAPLA!
Old 08-03-2021, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Was there any real reason you went to Big Sur?
No, sadly, since I am a rookie at OS, I figured it would pretty much be like iOS, and that everything would pretty much work just as it would with a new update. Who would’ve thunk.

Well, if I get a new computer, I will be then stuck for having to upgrade PT, as well, because no new computer is going to run PT 11, in my best guess. That means not only price of a new computer, but another 600 bills to upgrade PT.

I believe I have an older MacBook Pro, from about 2008, that ran PT 11 just fine. I bought this newer one, if you want to call 2017 newer, To minimize the chances that this would happen.
Old 08-03-2021, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Find that reinstatement code?
Some resellers might still be old stock "reinstatement" codes available. Those give latest version PT and one year of support plan for someone who has PT license that has expired support plan. Avid does not sell them any longer and you should not buy "renewal" code because that only works if you have active support plan. Obviously "reinstatement" is more expensive than "renewal" in case a seller has both, so be sure it is what you need.