Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2003, 06:33 PM

Default Re- amping

I have not re-amped anything yet. I have a bass track that I am not real happy with. I was reading the Andy Wallace post and it got me thinking. So how to do it. I am thinking I will run the unaffected recorded track out of pro tools via my coinverter into an amp and then mic it. Is this what you all are doing? Is there any special techniques that you feel work better than others?

Any help appreciated.

Keith
Old 07-17-2003, 08:47 PM

Default Re: Re- amping

Yes, you have the idea.

The only thing is that an output from Pro Tools could be manipulated to be the right LEVEL, but it would likely not match IMPEDANCE.

I think that most Pro Devices have low impedance outputs. Guitar amplifiers however, have high impedance inputs.

There are boxes that will take a line level signal (+4, low imp) and convert it to a guitar friendly signal (-10 or lower, high imp). One is called a ReAmp. Yes, it makes a difference, and yes it sounds great.

www.reamp.com

There are cheaper boxes, even some passive D.I.s you can use backwards. I haven't used them, so I can't say which might also sound good.
Old 07-18-2003, 10:03 AM

I use REAMP...it rules. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
I don't leave home without it.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:47 AM

use a re-amp
s
Old 07-18-2003, 07:50 PM

>If so, what do you use to split the signal?

D.I.'s usually have a thru jack, which is basically a copy of the guitar signal that went into it. You plug the guitar into the D.I., and the thru output into whatever the guitar was going to be plugged into (amp, pedalboard etc). The D.I. also has a mic level output, which you can use to drive a microphone preamp. Obviously this leg makes a "guitar only" track for later Re-Amping.

[Guitar]----->[D.I.]------>[Amp]
.......................I
.......................V
..............[Mic Preamp]

(please ignore the periods, they are for text formatting)

This is the classic application, but there are many more. First of all, a track doesn't need to be a clean D.I. to drive an amp with good results. Just about any bass track can be reamped with good results. You could take a heavily distorted guitar track, even one from a previously mic'd Marshall, and put it through a clean Fender Princeton. Of course it won't make the sound cleaner, but it might add speaker sound, presence, a second chance at a better micing angle etc.

You can also use a ReAmp to use guitar effects in a mix. For example, Vocal out of Pro Tools converter, into ReAmp, out of Reamp into distortion pedal, out of distortion pedal into wah wah pedal, out of wah wah pedal into D.I., out of D.I. into mic preamp, out of mic preamp into Pro Tools converter.

Having a handy way to go from +4dbu, low impedance to -10dbu (or lower) and high impedance is really helpful in opeing up your palette of tricks!
Old 07-19-2003, 12:07 AM

Re-Amp has been on my list.

Do you re-ampers’ simply split all your guitar and bass tracks into a clean DI input - direct from the instrument, for later re-amping?

If so, what do you use to split the signal?

-
Old 07-19-2003, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PTUser NYC:
D.I.'s usually have a thru jack, which is basically a copy of the guitar signal that went into it. You plug the guitar into the D.I., and the thru output into whatever the guitar was going to be plugged into (amp, pedalboard etc). The D.I. also has a mic level output, which you can use to drive a microphone preamp. Obviously this leg makes a "guitar only" track for later Re-Amping.

[Guitar]----->[D.I.]------>[Amp]
.......................I
.......................V
..............[Mic Preamp]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Got it!

Since my API's have a great DI input, I could probably use a splitter box as well. (I think Palmer makes one) Guitar/Bass in > two hi-z outputs. Is there any difference between this and using a regular DI box into the mic amp input?

I think Re-amping is long overdue for me. I'm sooooo anal about getting my tones just right, and *NOT* using plugins, that I'll record my guitar and bass tracks over and over again, turning the amp the knobs until I get it right. The up side is sometimes the performance get's better with each take, the downside is that one perfect take - with bad tone.

I like the idea of focusing on the tone without thinking about performance...and of course performing without worrying about tone.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to 'splain things so well.

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2003, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SoundWrangler:
All good info. (Slightly-OT, but also): the AmpliTube plug-in can produce excellent results, putting smack & girth on previously recorded gtr & bass tracks (aside from its main mission, as a simulator for direct signals). Consider downloading IK's demo ver. to see if it's worth the $ for you.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Since they'd really make life so much easier... I've spent a huge amount time with amp simulators, load boxes, and just about every gadget under the sun for direct recording. I really wanted to love 'em. But once you get yourself dialed in with recording real tube amps, there's just something about those rich harmonics, and 3-D depth that will make you do anything to get it - it's like a drug.

A single track of my 67 Deluxe Reverb on the right, my vintage Marshall on the left, with my P-Bass / SVT up the middle - is my little tone heaven.

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2003, 02:45 PM

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] No argument there!
Old 07-20-2003, 12:49 AM

All good info. (Slightly-OT, but also): the AmpliTube plug-in can produce excellent results, putting smack & girth on previously recorded gtr & bass tracks (aside from its main mission, as a simulator for direct signals). Consider downloading IK's demo ver. to see if it's worth the $ for you.