Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 05-18-2022, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Track input monitoring from control surface

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
That personally wouldn't be the way I'd do it (I prefer the deliberate Sel button next to each track) but to do what you ask, in Eucontrol > General tab, far left column at the bottom, check "select by touch"
I figured it would be that simple. But it’s not. I tried the “SEL” button too. Unless I got the key command wrong (I do see the “up” arrow for shift then the “i”)…

Will keep farting around but I’m not sure where is to look other than just blindly trying stuff.
Old 05-18-2022, 06:45 PM

This is what the command should look like in Eucontrol

As I mentioned before, Pro Tools must be the focused application (so your menu bar should be Pro Tools. Keyboard focus (the A-Z yellow box on the edit window) needs to be active (this will work on the mix window too -- don't worry about that) so it should be lit up in yellow.
Old 05-18-2022, 06:50 PM

And just to be certain, this is what Eucontrol should look like (just in case you put it on the shift layer (that checkbox under the dropdown should be unchecked.)) I put it on softkey 4.

Old 05-18-2022, 07:33 PM

Keyboard focus always on for me in the edit window. Key command looks like your screenshot.

Hmm…

Will keep messing around, thanks so much for the hints and suggestions.
Old 05-18-2022, 08:32 PM

FWIW...

Custom keyboard shortcuts clearly indicate "Shift I" is the input toggle based on edit rather than track selection. Please see screenshot. This looks similar to the softkey that Eddie Jones suggested I use on my Artist Control.

I don't see any other "select tracks" option that will allow me to select a track - touch, "Sel" button, etc. - that allows me to toggle input state based on track selection vs toggling based on edit selection.

It appears that the "Shift I" is working as designed on my system, but it does not serve my needs. In other words, I have to select an audio region on the track I want to toggle, which requires me to go to my keyboard or mouse instead of using my control surface. Not to keep harping on it, but the Command 8 allowed for this, and rightly or wrongly (Eddie agreed with me way back when) I feel that this should have been brought forward.

Anyone wants to chime in and correct me, I'm all ears.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 23.26.13.jpg (37.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-18-2022, 08:44 PM

Nope. Works just fine. All from the control surface. No region or selection.

Let's start with the basics to see where things have gone wrong:

if you select a track with your mouse, on the edit window, and press Shift+I on your computer keyboard, does it toggle the input state? If it does not, does Shift+S toggle the solo state?
Old 05-18-2022, 08:46 PM

I will also say that the soft key does not retain its setting. If I quit PT and reopen without restarting EUCON, the button (User 1 in my case) goes back to "Abort Recording", its default setting. No "Done" or "Save" buttons appear for me when I program the custom key combination.

FWIW - Mac Pro 7,1 running OS 12.3.1, PT 2022.4 and EUCON 2022.4.

Old 05-18-2022, 08:52 PM

Neale. You are correct. If Link Track and Edit Selection is disabled and you try to throw a selected track into input mode, the selected track will NOT go into input mode unless the curser is parked on that track. However, an edit selection or clip selection is not required. Simply a cursor placement

Shift +I input mode shortcut is tied to curser placement. Not just track selection alone.

The workaround is to always keep Link Track and Edit Selection enabled. Therefore the cursor will always fall on the selected track. Making Shift I work every time. Personally I’ve never known any reason to have LTAES off.

Last edited by its2loud; 05-18-2022 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-18-2022, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
Neale. You are correct. If Link Track and Edit Selection is disabled and you try to throw a selected track into input mode, the selected track will NOT go into input mode unless the curser is parked on that track.

Shift +I input mode shortcut is tied to curser placement. Not just track selection alone.

The workaround is to always keep Link Track and Edit Selection enabled. Therefore the cursor will always fall on the selected track. Making Shift I work every time. Personally I’ve never known any reason to have LTAES off.
AH.

This makes total sense to me.

So, I’m going to be stubborn and say:
-at some point somewhere in my 20 years of doing this, I figured NOT linking track and edit selection is best for MY workflow. Maybe I can revisit this, but I’d rather not HAVE to - I’d like it to be a choice, not an ultimatum.
-it’s too late where I am to try customizing keyboard shortcuts, but I’m going to imagine there’s no way to implement input toggle on “track selection” rather than “edit selection”. If there ISN’T that option, I have to wonder - why one and not the other? Especially since the code is (was?) there from the Command 8 if nothing else? I KNOW I’ve asked about the option, especially since receiving the suggestion of the softkey on my Artist Control a while ago, and if I didn’t implement that workaround I’m going to imagine that it’s because it’s not available to be done.
-in the end, we can see that the feature request remains unimplemented all these many years later, and I remain frustrated with how to get AVID to bring this functionality back after having pursued it through the various “appropriate” channels. I am left to stomp my feet and complain like a brat, which is not a good look, but despite my annual support fee and re-upping with a control surface that isn’t yet EOL’d, the company I pay to make these things work is not catering to their customer. And as we can see by the most recent closed thread or my IdeaScale suggestion, I am not the only one.
Old 05-18-2022, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
Link Track and Edit Selection
Ahh... link track and edit selection is never off for me. I see no point in disabling it. So even though nothing is actually "selected" on the tracks, it works just fine.