Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 03-12-2015, 08:35 PM

Default Metering Classic vs Sample Peak

Does it matter what Metering I have it set to? I have read that some people use Sample Peak while recording cause it helps them from not getting the signal to hot. I always have recorded with the Classic setting and my level has been somewhere between -10 and max is -12. If it goes over that I gain reduce it

Mac OS 10.10.3
Mbox 2,
Pro Tools 11
Old 03-13-2015, 09:28 PM

Default Re: Metering Classic vs Sample Peak

Does anyone know about this?

Mac OS 10.10.3
Mbox 2,
Pro Tools 11
Old 03-13-2015, 10:07 PM

I'm not sure I follow the question or why you are asking if things are working Ok now? The differences between the two types you are looking at are just ballistics/decay times.

The meter behavior is briefly described in the Pro Tools 11 Reference Guide. Just play with them and see what you prefer.

If you are not clipping and the signal is some reasonable level (like it is) you don't have a problem. And just don't worry about trying to chase up your levels any higher than now.

By "gain reduce" I hope you mean turn down the preamp gain, not use clip gain?
Old 03-13-2015, 10:17 PM

BTW besides just flipping between meter types to see, you can put one meter type on a standard audio track and the other on a master fader, just track with or playback that single track with no signal change at all into the output bus and compare the behavior of the meters side by side.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post

By "gain reduce" I hope you mean turn down the preamp gain, not use clip gain?
I mean using a trim plugin to reduce the input in prefader metering option

Mac OS 10.10.3
Mbox 2,
Pro Tools 11
Old 03-14-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryced87 View Post
I mean using a trim plugin to reduce the input in prefader metering option
NO! That is what preamp gain is for. Your need to stop your input converter from clipping. And be far enough below 0dBFS that the transients don't clip. If your converter is already clipped the signal, then it's damaged/gone forever, you can't magically recover those missing digital bits by trimming it with a plugin.... and you don't really need to pay ultra close attention to any levels after that, e.g. when mixing because everything infernally now processed or mixed at 32 and 64 bits floating point, so lots of headroom. You only need to obsess again about levels when you output to a DAC or file (although a 32-bit float output again means you are not likely to clip).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 03-14-2015 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:40 AM

What he said.

First consider that a 24bit fixed-point wav file has 144dB theoretical dynamics. Then take a close look at your converter specifications. If it says it has 124dB dynamics (that would be a good one), then you lose nothing if your levels PEAK at 124-144=-20dBFS which would be a nice headroom for occasional transients higher than the meter ballistics can show you.

Yellow is the new red.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:59 AM

Then why do tons of video tutorials say your recording levels should be in the yellow? Also Paul Draper from in the box series explains how you use the trim plugin in prefader to lower the input if you've recorded to hot.

Mac OS 10.10.3
Mbox 2,
Pro Tools 11
Old 03-15-2015, 07:18 AM

Post Re: Metering Classic vs Sample Peak

Quote:
Then why do tons of video tutorials say your recording levels should be in the yellow?
I don't know. You would have to ask the people who produce those videos. Gain structure can be a whole chapter in some audio books.

Quote:
Also Paul Draper from in the box series explains how you use the trim plugin in prefader to lower the input if you've recorded to hot.
While inserts on audio tracks are pre-fader, you cannot undo recording too hot by using a trim plug-in on the input of a channel. Any distortion that exists from recording too hot will still exist after the audio is processed by the trim plug-in. The distortion could be lower in volume, though it will still exist.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:38 AM

but distortion doesn't exist in the yellow. Also when I record below the yellow In pre and then move the fader up to raise the volume I hear noise. The only way to get rid of this when I turn up the fader is to record in the yellow.

Mac OS 10.10.3
Mbox 2,
Pro Tools 11

Last edited by bryced87; 03-15-2015 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Changed text