Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 09-04-2009, 08:55 PM

Default Drum Shields

I've been working on live recordings in small sheds and outdoor events and - nothing new - can't keep those cymbals out of the vocal mics. I see clear shields more and more. I've used them before but with so many people wanting recordings I think I may need to use them all the time.

How many of you peoples use drum shields when recording is an important outcome of the event?
Old 09-05-2009, 08:59 AM

Default Re: Drum Shields

We removed ours here at church because we could hear the comb filtering on playback. I'm happier with the drum sounds without it, and happier with the vocals with it. Look at it this way, worse comes to worse you can always take the time to replace the drum sounds, not so with the vocals. Besides, if the vocal tracks are edited properly, the drum bleed won't be any more than it truly is in a live situation anyway.

Erik
Old 09-05-2009, 09:32 AM

We put one of these http://www.perdueacoustics.com/drum_booth_kit.html in our "gymnatorium". We record each week just for reference to Pro Tools HD and edit/produce some of the special events for reproduction.
Pros: It was a massive improvement both for the live sound and the recordings. Pretty much 95% isolation. There is some low frequency bleed from the kick drum, but thats probably mostly sympathetic from the platform its on.
Cons: Pricey, and very time consuming to setup if you need to move it a lot. However, if you've got a minimum of 4 people to work on assembling it, it can be done very quickly. Its pretty clumsy to put up with 2 people, and impossible by yourself.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emluper View Post
We removed ours here at church because we could hear the comb filtering on playback. I'm happier with the drum sounds without it, and happier with the vocals with it. Look at it this way, worse comes to worse you can always take the time to replace the drum sounds, not so with the vocals. Besides, if the vocal tracks are edited properly, the drum bleed won't be any more than it truly is in a live situation anyway.
Erik
Yeah I was thinking about the vocals in post which seem are done in post for most live events. I think there are some loud drummers I work with and we are amazed at how much the vocal mics are "cymbal mics."

That also made me think of the vocal mics. I'm using the AT 5000 series mics and I wonder if they have a wider pattern...
Old 09-05-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicboost View Post
We put one of these http://www.perdueacoustics.com/drum_booth_kit.html in our "gymnatorium".
It is a permanent setup at my church and works fantastic. I only wish I could use one at my gigs.....

I'm aiming at a "live recording sound" and for the most part, drum isolation is the biggest component of recreating a studio environment live. What I fight with the most is getting a sweet high frequency boost on vocals ("Air?") and then finding the cymbals just got a lot of "air" too!!
Old 09-05-2009, 04:47 PM

Check out http://whiteleysolutions.com/. This is what we use. Our Drummer first made one for us and and is turning it into a business. It has worked well and the newer models (we have a brand new one at our satellite campus) are even better. He has a bunch of options like audio and lighting (dmx) wiring, troughs, and multi-pin connections. It can get pricy but it is an option if you want good isolated drum sounds and a better look than the average shield. He also has a Facebook page.

Jason
Old 09-06-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsoundguy View Post
Check out http://whiteleysolutions.com/. This is what we use. Our Drummer first made one for us and and is turning it into a business. It has worked well and the newer models (we have a brand new one at our satellite campus) are even better. He has a bunch of options like audio and lighting (dmx) wiring, troughs, and multi-pin connections. It can get pricy but it is an option if you want good isolated drum sounds and a better look than the average shield. He also has a Facebook page.
Jason
Wow that is a cool look. The bit curved piece is the bomb but doesn't look easy to transport.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:05 PM

I am wondering about those full isolation shields and air flow. Is there any? It is hot enough on the stage with all the lights, is the full isolation pretty much a sauna when closed up?
Sacramento, CA
Old 09-06-2009, 05:22 PM

He is working on the air flow thing. The newer models have dual fans, one sucks air in while the other blows it out. He's experimenting with new stuff all the time. He has a basic blueprint with options and is in the process of streamlining and improving them and building a website. They are modular and come in pieces which allow you to use just the front, front and sides, or the whole thing i think and can have castors for mobility. Transportation is something he's currently working on. I'll try to keep everyone updated if i can but feel free to email him from his site. He's really cool guy and has been a musician for a long time. He'll have better answers than i do.

Jason
Old 09-06-2009, 06:22 PM

I've been using a shield for a long time. Every so often we try it without to remember what it was like in the good-old-days, and I always go back to putting the shield up. Last time I pulled it was when I had one of the more controlled drummers I work with who plays a great kit mix, and even with him up we put the shield back up. Seems to be better for vocal mics, and even helps tighten up the kit mix in the house. It can also help with the first couple rows not getting blown away by cymbals.

We tracked a live CD project a few weeks ago, and one thing I did was try and be as intentional as possible with stage plot to keep vocalists who aren't as strong farther from the drums. It's not always something I can control, but when I can I try and keep softer singers away from backline and work with mic choice to find the best compromise between what works best for their voice and stage bleed.

Something else to try is to see if you can get the drummer to swap out his cymbals. Darker/heavier/thicker cymbals can take some of the edge off. The thinner ones that sustain for days and days can be a nightmare with a basher. I recently had a guy start using some bigger, darker ones that really got things under control.

Dave