Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 11-27-2019, 12:33 AM

Default Best way to route signal at mixdown stage in Pro Tools 2019

Hi there, last time i've been working with pro tools it was 2009 (PT 7.4).
After 10 years i finally renewed my rig and got PT 2019 with an Apollo x8.
I have a question for the pros out there,
i've seen there are many new features in the current PT version and i think i have to re-learn how to use this software properly.
Anyway my questions are:
how do you guys print the final mix in PT 2019? (bounce to disc or print to a stereo audio track)
what's your favourite routing to get the mixdown printed with the actual PT version?
for example, i would group tracks using the new VCA master fader feature then routing any of these groups to stereo Auxes, then would buss-sum all Auxes using a Master fader, then would buss the resulting sum to an Aux (router) where i would insert eq and comp plugins for glueing the mix and finally would buss this router to an audio track input for printing the final stereo mix.
Is this the best way to go?
or is it better to end the chain at the master fader inserting eq/comp there and bounce to disc?

thanks
Old 11-27-2019, 01:40 AM

Default Re: Best way to route signal at mixdown stage in Pro Tools 2019

Hi, welcome to the community.

Basics have not changed. Keep it simple as long as you can; but when you need to (for example mixing a drum kit) sum the tracks with aux and group them to control with VCA.

Every processing (plugins and routing) changes the game a little so in theory you get cleanest sound by outputting all tracks to your master output.
Old 11-27-2019, 03:52 AM

...of course, plugins on master tracks are post fader, aux'es and other types of track are pre fader. Big difference.
Old 11-27-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat.mat View Post
Hi there, last time i've been working with pro tools it was 2009 (PT 7.4).
After 10 years i finally renewed my rig and got PT 2019 with an Apollo x8.
thanks
PT 7.4.2 was probably the Most stable PT I've used. I stayed on that for years and ONLY went to 9 for some serious updates I needed and thought I'd stay on it for years and years. Till 11 came out with the 64bit that changed everything. Then I was set on that and thought I'd stay on it for years and years. Then 2019 came out with an extra 128 tracks for HDN. HUGE benefit. Since getting more than 256 tracks with HDN, I'd have to go to 2 HDX cards costing over $5,000. So I am going to stay on 2019 for years and years...Till...

Sorry for going off track, but you've got some serious new features going from PT7 to 2019.

The ONLY way I would every upgrade again is if they give multiple audio bins and NO MORE -9173 errors.
-HD Omni
-BM Intensity Pro

-Waves Mercury+SSL4000 Collection+Abbey Roads
-iZotope RX10 Advanced
-iZotope Post Production Suite 6
-iZotope Music Production Suite 5
-HALO UP/DOWN MIX
-ANYMIX
-Delonghi Perfecta ESAM 5600.S