Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2008, 08:33 AM

Default Re: Cost effective 32 channel system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomv-k View Post
Thanks!

To change the subject slightly, what would be the minimum Mac power/age to run say a 32 in and out setup with a modest amount of plug ins? The older G5's would cope? how old/slow could you go do you think? do all G5's have PCIe bays or the older ones have PCI?
Stick with the minimum that Digidesign approves, if possible, which can be found in the Digidesign compatibility documents on the Digi web site support section (it's not working now, so can't provide a link). I think that the minimum is a dual 1.8 gHz G5.

Most G5's are not PCIe - only the very last few models were PCIe.
You can get details here at everymac.com.

If you want the least expensive system, then you should look for a used PCI HD core card and a used older dual processor G5 with PCI slots.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-tone View Post
If you want the least expensive system, then you should look for a used PCI HD core card and a used older dual processor G5 with PCI slots.
Many thanks c-tone, if I buy the PCI card used, I assume I need to buy the HD software on its own, I only seem to see "upgrade" packages available on the Digi store, am I missing something or would the software only be around £160? Or does the main software actually come with the used card? Presumably PT software will always support PCI card systems?
Old 11-13-2008, 08:44 AM

Your card technically should be accompanied by the software, but in many cases is not.

The 'Upgrade' would be correct as a 'replacement' for your software.

If I am not mistaken, it would be a full install.

I was going to go to Digi's store and verify, but they forgot to pay their hosting bill! LOL

Mac Pro 5,1 3.33 GHz Hex, 32GB
EFI Flashed - 5 GT/s Modded 7950, Dual Apple 23"
OSX Sierra
Pro Tools HD 11.2.2
Waves IOS, IOX, STG2412
Extreme Server (x2)
Logic Pro X, DSP Quattro, Final Cut Pro X
Waves Mercury+SSL+AbbeyRoads
Trident S65 with embedded US-2400

Live:
2012 Mac Mini, Dual SSD, i7 2.4, 16GB
Win 10, OSX Sierra
LV1, MRSG
Hardware from above (same gear)
Dual Dell P2418HT Touch Screens
Waves Icon X (x2), M, with Screens
Custom enclosure
Old 11-23-2008, 05:26 AM

cheapest hd system running 32 i/o? Why has no-one suggested a single core card (S/H PCIx) with a s/h 192 along with an adat bridge (even 20 bit!) and 2 x s/h alesis adat Hd24's. That's around $5k.... oh, and the 20 bit adat bridge is better than you'd think, after all, they say the 24 bit bridge is effectively really only 21 bits! and HD24's(xr) are great value...