Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2021, 09:13 AM

Default Only 4 cores system usage on M1 Macs

I'd like to know why PT 2021.6 is using only 4 cores out of 8 available on M1 Macs.

Does this have to do with the graphic issues (beach balls every more or less 20 sec.) ?

It feels like Avid gives something (more tracks and I/O) but takes something else in exchange...mixed feelings here...
Old 06-25-2021, 10:03 AM

Default Re: Only 4 cores system usage on M1 Macs

It's probably by design - running on the 4 power cores, for predictable performance and latency. You don't really want audio threads dropping down onto the efficiency cores.

Dominic
Old 06-25-2021, 10:08 AM

OK, I would understand that but, maybe this generates the graphic issues that are very annoying (beach balls, playback bar in recording is not showing on all tracks, flashes when you change tracks hight...and more)
Old 06-25-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
It's probably by design - running on the 4 power cores, for predictable performance and latency. You don't really want audio threads dropping down onto the efficiency cores.

Dominic
It probably is by design. Let's not forget that Avid is a hardware company and ... probably has a a very good explanation, containing the phrases rock-solid, trusted, stability, thoroughly tested and confidence.

Did anyone say Core-Packs???

Just kidding...
Old 06-25-2021, 11:09 AM

The emulation is only using the performance cores. It's not specific to Pro Tools. Graphics are processed in the GPU in the SoC not the main processor. Those on the cutting edge often bleed. Whatever the issue I doubt the beach balls are a purposeful choice on the part of the devs. While Intel systems ran OK on smaller projects with 8GB memory Apple Silicon may want a minimum of 16 depending on the config. For larger projects that still may not be enough but for most consumer/home use projects it should work.

As it's a first rev release emulated I'd expect there to be a few issues. Until they get an Apple Silicon native version we're keeping PT on Intel hardware. Hopefully it won't be too long.
Old 06-25-2021, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoButtonGuy View Post
T
As it's a first rev release emulated I'd expect there to be a few issues. Until they get an Apple Silicon native version we're keeping PT on Intel hardware. Hopefully it won't be too long.
But on the other hand it's really hard to understand how the previous non optimised M1 version works great and the optimised one has more issues...it should have less...I don't know...
Old 06-25-2021, 02:19 PM

It is not optimized until it is native.
Old 06-25-2021, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
I'd like to know why PT 2021.6 is using only 4 cores out of 8 available on M1 Macs.

Does this have to do with the graphic issues (beach balls every more or less 20 sec.) ?

It feels like Avid gives something (more tracks and I/O) but takes something else in exchange...mixed feelings here...
I’m glad I’m not the only one who is concerned about this. I only mix on my M1 system and the “unsupported” version of PT (previous version) worked WAY better then this “supported” update. It’s a little frustrating. Not a good start.
Old 06-26-2021, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico618 View Post
I’m glad I’m not the only one who is concerned about this. I only mix on my M1 system and the “unsupported” version of PT (previous version) worked WAY better then this “supported” update. It’s a little frustrating. Not a good start.
And unfortunately I went back to 2021.3.1 until Avid gets it right. It's kind of sad!
Old 06-26-2021, 10:32 PM

Yeah me too, 2021.6 gave me ilok license error for my slate licenses, lag and beachballs, cpu usage on the same project goin up to 80%, previously on 3.1 the cpu usage only 40-50%, this is unacceptable, so i'm rolling back to 2021.3.1 on my Macmini M1 and everything went smooth again, i even add another acustica plugin and the cpu meter only add some 2% more!

Plase Avid fix it