Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 01-12-2006, 11:26 PM

Default remember these..

http://hanazuc02.ld.infoseek.co.jp/c.../cassettes.htm

ahh the good ol days
Old 01-13-2006, 05:23 AM

Default Re: remember these..

Yeah, I still have a box full of them. Maybe I should break them out.
Command/8
PTLE 7.1 MPT
www.clearspotrecording.com
Old 01-13-2006, 06:17 AM

I still have hundreds of the things. I started a catalog when I hit about 30 of them (one album per side) and it eventually reached over 200.

I must move the tape deck next to the PC and digitise the best of them before they deteriorate. Should be easy - set it up and just listen and digitise as I work. There's a lot of deleted stuff in there, and personal compilations, and the quality was damn good - I only ever used chrome or metal tape, and had Dolby C.

Nice web page. What geek put that together? A labor of love to be sure.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:30 AM

yeah, have a ton of them also that I did on an old school 4 track back in the day.. one of these days I keep promising myself that I am going to rent a deck and copy them all over onto my computer also, but that has been going on for years. Just hate to loose those recordings... good stuff..
Old 01-13-2006, 03:46 PM

The magnetic coating comes off with time you know. Get it doen soon - till then keep them somewhere cool, not too damp, not too dry etc....
Old 01-13-2006, 04:19 PM

on tapes? thought you could use the old oven trick to get use out of them after a while? Mine are only 12 years old at the oldest... Getting the time to go through them is the next trick... I've still got the great photo project to finish scanning in like a million pictures also on my new scanner... hehe I need to work at home and get paid for it.. thats all there is to it...
Old 01-13-2006, 04:27 PM

Do like I'm gonna do. Put the tape deck by the PC, hit record on the PC, and play on the tape deck, and eventually you'll get through all of them, and they'll be safe. (Make sure you back up...)
Old 01-13-2006, 04:43 PM

you mic'ing the tape deck or line in there dude? lol I need to get hold of a proper 4 track deck that I can play some of them back at actually. Some that I had already bounced to another tape would be ok to do this with, but 4 track ones will still only play back 2 tracks per side if I'm not mistaken.... Unless... I wonder if you flipped the tape if you could get the other two tracks and just start it at the same play back marker in PT and mix them together that way... Hmm... been a while since I played around with a 4 track..
Old 01-13-2006, 05:01 PM

Quote:
I wonder if you flipped the tape if you could get the other two tracks and just start it at the same play back marker in PT and mix them together that way...
Guaranteed crap idea. Those old decks wouldn't be near enough accurate.

You think you have problems? some of my stuff is on 1/2" black and white (that thing actually weighed a ton!) and on u-matic.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:08 PM

lol I hear ya dude. I was talking to some of the guys over at Lynn Fustons boards the other day and they were talking about the old school card board records that used to come from the back of cereal boxes..