Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-09-2000, 10:26 AM

Default Re: DIGI001 / Windows 95/98/?? - System Requirements etc BEGGING YOU TO HELP!

Yes I have thought about getting a Mac. I already have 2 PC's at home and work with PC's at my day job. I've got Loads of ram, 4 HD's, CDR, 3 monitors, TV video cards, MP3 server, scanners, printers, thousands in windows software. I'm in deep with the PC's.

You will never catch me saying that PC's are better than Mac's or vice versa. they both have advantages depending on the application. And, yes, for this application the Mac is probably the best format. Mac's have long been the leader on the media side of things.

Am I worried about the PC version because it is taking so long? Nope. What that tells me is they have not developed a Windows 95/98 app. It's a totally different animal than the Mac, and windows NT. For the Mac version they just had to make some changes to what the already had. Win 98 they are starting from scratch. There are also many more compatibility issues with the PC. primarily because there are so many different brands and types of hardware available. anyone can make hardware for a PC. That's why there is so much available. but it makes it hard for the developers.

If I was starting from scratch, and Pro Tools was all that I was going to run, there is no question, it's a no brainer, Mac all the way. But I can do things with my PC's that are just not doable on a Mac. And I know PC's. Why change?

As much as I hate this waiting game I can understand it. I guess I just got to wait...

Tom Penney
Old 03-13-2000, 03:54 PM

Default Re: DIGI001 / Windows 95/98/?? - System Requirements etc BEGGING YOU TO HELP!

Hi! Well, I'm a PC user. I'm just wondering, if it will be possible to use my DirectX Plug-Ins (e.g. Waves NPP) with PT LE? And, actually, MUST I wait for Windows release of PTLE, or can I purchase Digi001 hardware now and run it with Emagic Logic?

best regards
s i m o n
Old 03-14-2000, 07:15 PM

For the pc users out there. May I suggest an
alternative. The Yamaha DSP Factory card with
the new AX88 24 bit 8 channel I/O. You will
pay more for the hardware but you will save
in computer costs because the DSP card does
all the processing with effects. You have a choice of many audio/midi software
applications.
Even some with plug ins support. 16 tracks
of audio and you can add a second DSP card.
There are many expansion possibilities too.I
suggest this because Digidesign's support for
the PC side has been very poor. (See Session 8 PC user conference) They are slow to develop new drivers or software if they do it at all for the PC side. The AX88 is made by
Adbdigital. Good Luck.

[This message has been edited by nineguitars (edited March 14, 2000).]