Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2007, 03:27 AM

Default Has this ever happened to you?

Hi all,

Here's a strange issue I came across recently. In one session, I opened a guitar track, and started recording. Everything's great until I played it back. There's a short delay during playback. It's only when I grab the region in slip mode and pull it back a few notches that it's actually playing in time.

I had an auxilary track with a log delay on it. Even though it was for the vocals, I deleted it, and I still get the same results during playback...

Any help would be highly appreciated..
Cheers,
Mony
Old 09-01-2007, 10:37 AM

Default Re: Has this ever happened to you?

Do you have any plug-ins on the guitar? Protools LE does not have ADC (automatic delay compensation) so some plug-ins that introduce significant latency must be compensated manually by shifting the track by the amount of delay imposed. Near the bottom of each strip, ctrl-click twice where the gain adjustment of the fader is shown, it will show you the latency imposed in samples, and you can adjust accurately. Alt-ctrl-click there for all channels to reveal their latency.

Some folks here are screaming blue murder for ADC, but it's really not the end of the world. If you know the latency of your plugs and keep notes of any shifting you've done in the comments section of each track, it's a relatively minor inconvenience.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:08 PM

Hey,
Thanks for that...I don't have any plug-ins on the track. Whatever I had, I removed to see if it would affect playback, and it didn't...

I also removed all plugins from the master fader, just to be on the safe side...
Old 09-01-2007, 07:19 PM

What was your buffer set at when you recorded? If it was at 1024, there will in fact be a fair amount of latency causing your freshly-recorded track to be somewhat behind, but again, you can just scoot it around until it's in the right place.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Hi all,

Here's a strange issue I came across recently. In one session, I opened a guitar track, and started recording. Everything's great until I played it back. There's a short delay during playback. It's only when I grab the region in slip mode and pull it back a few notches that it's actually playing in time.

I had an auxilary track with a log delay on it. Even though it was for the vocals, I deleted it, and I still get the same results during playback...

Any help would be highly appreciated..
Cheers,
Mony
This is my strange issue:

Please give a concise description of the problem:
I have a strange scenario with the audio click track. I notice after recording the parts, that they are slightly behind time with the click in playback, (only in play back, after recording).
When tracking (recording) the parts all sound in time with the click, bizarre. One of the things I have done to get around the timing issue, is if I mute the drums part and let the bass gtr just record to the click as suppose to drums and other parts with the click, then when the bass gtr is played back with all the other parts then the timing is correctly in synch which all parts. It just when played back with the click then parts plays back slightly out of time with the click.
This does not make sense to me, as if you record with the click and the recorded parts synch tightly together to the click why does it play out of time in play back with the click again in play back?.
Apart from the click track issue, my system works great with NO hang-ups what so ever, no buffer error nothing of any sort.
I use Pro tools LE version 7.3.1 cs4 with the
Digi002 controller with the Focusrite OctoPre Pre-Amp connected via ADAT to the Digi002, allowing me 8 additional XLR'S inputs.
My machine is a PC with XP pro, ASUS board, AMD dual core 4600+ processor, 2gig ram at 800 MHz with SATA drives.

You set a thought in motion; I should play around with the buffer and see if there is any changes in the click track, I reiterate it is only out of time when played back along with the click when recording a new part to be added for example bass gtr separation, not any latency or synch issues with the click when recording all parts, only added part as a means of separation as the other was used a guide tracks. The others which were already recorded which was in time a moment ago with the click when recorded along with all the other parts with the click, would be out of time and not in sync with the click anymore, when played back with the click. However, they are all still in time with each other just not with the click now when played back, however the very same click was used to get them to play in time in the first place.
Even if one do not get any buffer errors, could the buffer cause the click to be out of synch with the already recorded parts?.......If a now play around with the buffer, and let's assume I get the issue resolved with the change of a buffer setting, the question is, is this normal operation?.......I been using 7.3 for some time now, however it only seem to be with using several part been recorded, by means of a live band, how many I do not know I need to check this out to determine. My usual projects consist mostly of vocals and back-up vocals and sometimes a live guitar part, which is live tracking with synthetic parts mostly for example BFD ECT..