Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 10:57 AM

Default Need help!! never happened before

I have had my system for over 3 years and couldn't be happier. The last week or so, after recording audio, I notice a delay of maybe 100 milliseconds on playback. For example, the vocal is right on time when it is recorded and upon playback, it is late. As a workaround, I have been nudging the tracks back but this is getting irritating. I have been noticing freezes are happening more often. It also runs a little hot. I'm not in front of my computer but from what I can remember, the components are:

Asus a7v333 motherboard
Athlon xp 1800 processor
512 mb of RAM
(1) 20 gig WD hard drive for system
(1) 80 gig hard drive for audio

no internet connected, built strictly for Pro Tools. Any help will be appreciated!!
Old 09-29-2005, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Need help!! never happened before

Right off the top of my head, a few things that could be wrong are:

CPU fan extremely dirty, or not working as well as it should anymore. This would cause the heat issue, and could also cause the freezing issue if the processor gets too hot (kind of ironic, it's frozen because it's too hot, heh)

RAM may have gone bad, this would cause random freezes and blue screens/reboots

Hard Drive(s) may have bad sectors, this would cause temporary freezes, but not necessarily enough to stop the computer from working.

The hard drive is probably the least likely problem. I would look into cleaning the CPU fan, and run a memory tester program.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:04 AM

please provide the hardware and PTLE version you are working with including the customer service packs installed. play delay has been an issue in the past but not sure about current versions. Tracks not being in sync is a new one on me unless you are dealing with latency due to plugins.

Anyhow, a little more info, please
Old 09-29-2005, 02:06 PM

I forgot, I have the digi 001 version 6.4, service pack 1. Yeah, my processor may be the problem but I don't know how to diagnose a bad cpu. It is old, though!!! I've been running 6.4 for about a year and never had any issues. Nothing has changed with my set-up. It just started acting strange the last week or so ago.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:47 PM
Avid

You might also want to start with the steps in the Win XP/ Pro Tools 6.x General Troubleshooting thread.