Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 10-27-2019, 08:58 AM

Default MacBook Pro for main system

First...sorry for the double post. Realized this is a better forum. Can't see where to delete the original. Mods, please delete my previous post in Pro Tools 2018. Sorry about that.

Bought a smokin' MB Pro for editing away from the studio for post production. 8 core i9, 32 gigs of ram, 1tb system drive. I've been thinking that since this machine is more powerful than my main system at the studio, why can't it become my main system as well? I'm looking for thoughts. I do VO recording, editing and sound design for TV/Radio advertising....no music. Here's what I use:

PT Ultimate
1 HDX card
HD IO
C-24
Black Magic Intensity Pro for video playback
NO VI's
Dual monitors
Standard EQ's and compressors. Sonnox, DMG, Avid Pro plugs.

Would need:
An approved Sonnet TB 3 PCIe chassis for the HDX card and Black Magic card.
TB 3 drive enclosure for audio drive and various others.
A TB 3 dock for various USB3, HDMI, ethernet, iLok and other connections.
Some way to use dual monitors.

Other than the stigma of using a laptop for my main system, the other issue I might see would be keeping it cool sitting on the desk behind the monitors all day...and plugging and unplugging everyday. I could buy a new Mac Mini for this, but if this laptop will work and is powerful enough, why spend the dollars.

Any thoughts on how this system might hold up to the day to day grind? Thanks in advance for your advice.
Bob
Old 10-27-2019, 08:37 PM

Default Re: MacBook Pro for main system

I think you'd be taxing the few port the MB Pro has. i/o, display, drives, C24, keyboard, mouse, iLoks.
Also, you'll be generating a little heat with it since you'll be pushing it hard and the cooling isn't as efficient as a tower.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:57 PM

I am running something similar here with a 2018 6 core MacBook Pro. HDX1, BM Intensity Pro and a quad m-sata PCIe card in a Sonnet III-D chassis hanging off one TB3 port. I also have an RX580 inside a Powercolour gaming station pushing two 24" 1920x1080 monitors along just nicely, hanging off another. The gaming station also has the added benefit of containing an ethernet port and a USB hub which happily hosts all of my peripherals (USB3 raid, roll seaboard, Motu midi interface, iLok, eLicense dongle, portable SSD...), and it also charges the laptop while it is plugged in!

The MacBook Pro does can quite warm, and it's fans are more audible than my old 5,1 Mac Pro. It may be purely perceptual though, as the laptop is sitting right next to the desktop rather than being tucked away well behind the desk. Later in the year I'll replace the 0.5m TB3 cable with a longer one and reconfigure everything a little bit neater... but all in all, the 2018 MBP definitely runs smoother and has more oomph than my old 12-core 5,1 Mac Pro. Clamshell mode is a little bit inconsistent, but it generally works pretty well.

These new MBPs have two TB3 busses. You'll be able to spread plenty of peripherals across them, with HDX1 barely even making a dent in the available bandwidth.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
I am running something similar here with a 2018 6 core MacBook Pro. HDX1, BM Intensity Pro and a quad m-sata PCIe card in a Sonnet III-D chassis hanging off one TB3 port. I also have an RX580 inside a Powercolour gaming station pushing two 24" 1920x1080 monitors along just nicely, hanging off another. The gaming station also has the added benefit of containing an ethernet port and a USB hub which happily hosts all of my peripherals (USB3 raid, roll seaboard, Motu midi interface, iLok, eLicense dongle, portable SSD...), and it also charges the laptop while it is plugged in!

The MacBook Pro does can quite warm, and it's fans are more audible than my old 5,1 Mac Pro. It may be purely perceptual though, as the laptop is sitting right next to the desktop rather than being tucked away well behind the desk. Later in the year I'll replace the 0.5m TB3 cable with a longer one and reconfigure everything a little bit neater... but all in all, the 2018 MBP definitely runs smoother and has more oomph than my old 12-core 5,1 Mac Pro. Clamshell mode is a little bit inconsistent, but it generally works pretty well.

These new MBPs have two TB3 busses. You'll be able to spread plenty of peripherals across them, with HDX1 barely even making a dent in the available bandwidth.
Man, that's great info, thank you. Think I'm going to give it a try when it slows down a bit. The only other choice will be to get one of the new Mini's if this experiment doesn't work. I'll have all the peripherals anyway. Thanks again.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:07 AM

I've found that disabling TurboBoost with TurboBoostSwitcher seems to help with heat and fan noise. Of course, on a big session with lots of CPU usage, the fans still kick on audibly.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:17 AM

Ok, well I called Apple sales to have a chat about the newest Mac Mini. Seemed like a better idea instead of using the laptop so I was going to think about it. Sales guy then asked if I had a Mac to trade in...and I do. My 2012 12 core cheese grader. He looked it up...and they're giving me $1,700 for it!! What??? New Mini to my specs was $1,600 (with 8 gigs ram...I already have 32 gigs here) and 1TB storage. So with faster shipping and Apple Care...I'm paying like 200 bucks for it. DEAL.

Of course it comes with Catalina so I'll clone over my laptop with Mojave and should be good to go. Crazy they're giving me that much for the old MP but I'll take it. They're also sending me a trade in kit with shipping on them. Wild.