Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 10-15-1999, 01:48 PM

Default Re: PLEASE SETTLE THIS: 001vs2408

One way that you can go with the digi001 interface is buy the Tascam IF-TAD converter. It is specifically made to transfer data from TDIF to ADAT format. I would assume that this would work great in between you 88's and the digi001. The IF-TAD goes for around $160.00 us. So, For about $1000.00, you would get the digi001, PT 5.0 LE, and the converter to get around your interface issue for an extremely low price.
I would probably go this way, except I have ADATs, becuase I think PT is one of the most intuitive and logical DAWs out there.

Jason
Canned Records
Old 10-16-1999, 12:10 AM

Default PLEASE SETTLE THIS: 001vs2408

CAN THESE TWO BE COMBINED??

Best to hold out for TDM?

I have a songwriter/project setup based around a Mackie 24x8 desk and (2)
>TASCAM DA-38 tape machines, and have been investigating a DAW for the
>purposes of MIDI (currently sequencing via hardware seq); and editing audio
>tracks. I am buying a G4 400 256RAM ASAP
>
>I seem to be stuck:
>
>..... between Logic Platinum (+card); the new DIGI 001; and MOTU 2408/DP.
>
>The DIGI 001 piece looks great, and I am sold on the PRO TOOLS 5.0 LE interface and the PRO TOOLS concept as "industry standard".
But, it will be harder for me to import tape tracks into this
>config. (ADAT lightpipe only - I am TDIF)
>
>I like the idea of the TDIF's on the 2408, but it seems a Logic/PRO TOOLS
>combo is a more often used/common standard setup in pro studios - however
>it does not offer the sleek card/interface of the 2408 (great for dumping
>my tape tracks for editing!)
>
>Am I best mixing and matching (a la Logic sequencing, plus 2408 interfacing
>tape tracks, plus pro tools LE for RTAS plug ins/editing)? ....Wouldn't it
>be best to keep it all under one "brand"?
>
>Is host based processing/editing there yet? I cannot deal with crashing and
>burning - I like tracking to tape - i hear too many horror stories around CUBASE, etc.
>
>Should I just get a sequencer (LOGIC) and wait til I can afford TDM/MIXPlus?
>
>PLEASE HELP! Your thoughts and insight are greatly appreciated. thanks in
>advance.
Old 10-27-1999, 07:33 PM

Yes that sounds like a good idea. Go with the 001 and get a TDIF to ADAT converter.

I am wondering what you're doing for effects, though. I don't know if you'll get enough out of a G4 to do a real mix with lots of plug-ins, at least until digi and all the plug-in mfgs support the alti-vec technology.

If all you're doing is editing, then you shouldn't have any problem.

I would go with the 001, continue to use whatever you have for outboard effects and EQ for mixing, use a few of the RTAS and/or audiosuite plug-ins for special effects, and then jump into TDM when I could afford it.

Old 10-28-1999, 08:37 AM

thanx JMAN AND JHEYWARD -

Let me ask you this- since the 001 will import tracks, but with no frame of sample accuracy (is this right), I will have to import tape tracks into it in several passes, 8 tracks at a time? How do I get them all to line up? The 2408 will do 24 tracks at once in sample accuracy.

Then I will edit, move parts around, use a few plugins, mix back out thru analog (yes I have some outboard reverbs, etc.)

Does this still sound like the way to go?

Please let me know what you think

thanks

Old 10-28-1999, 01:02 PM

In theory using all the inputs at once you can input 18 channels at once. This is enough for a phase locked "band" backing track of drums gtrs bass keys and guide vocals.
That is cool enough in my book
I wonder if you can go spdif or lightpipe i/o with deluxe reverbs or FX. Then the rtas stuff could just do EQ and Compression, would sort of lighten the load on the Mac....Could be a cool way to go.....
Jules
Old 10-28-1999, 03:13 PM

One way to get around the locking issue of importing tracks is to put a test tone on the front-end of each tape or song. I believe that the Mackie 8 buss come with a tone generator, I could be wrong. Using either ADAT or DA's you could get the tone pretty darn close to lock up in ProTools. I seems like a hassle, but nothing's perfect. Let me think about it some more and I'll get back to you.

Jason
Old 10-28-1999, 04:01 PM

I've imported tracks piecemeal by putting a short percussive sound at the beginning (could be at the end, too) of all tracks. This is very easy to line up in PT to the accuracy of a sample. A test tone would work, but you'd always run the risk of being off by a cycle...
If you're doing transfers in the analog domain, using digital machines (like your Tascams) you should have only the smallest of timing problems - I'd guess there would be no "drift" that you could ever hear. I might worry about minute changes in phase due to clock jitter.
...but if you're doing digital transfers, then you will not have timing problems. The only thing you'll have to do is line up the first block of 8 tracks to the second and third blocks.

Old 10-29-1999, 08:05 AM

at this point it seems easier to just use the 001 - isn't that what it was intended for? not all this locking and syncing?

i guess if you really need to use tape, a system like the 2408 with a digital timepiece is more suitable because it was designed around this.

the 001 might be better off alone?? what do you all think? tape is still a convenient way to get tracks recorded and stored?
Old 11-05-1999, 09:47 PM

I am running LE on a 400 MHz G4 with 256 megs of RAM. Today I did a 24-track mix (16-bit, transferred from ADAT in 3 passes lining up track with a rimshot sample). I used 4-1 band EQ's, 14-4 band EQ's and 4 compressors. Fader automation. Verbs came from sends/returns to 2 hardware boxes as the Dverb RTAS software isn't out yet. Ran without a hitch.

The salesperson & I loaded up as many plug-ins as we could on another session. I believe processing power was equivalent to a mix system....