Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2017, 06:34 PM

Default PT 11 not recognizing RME inputs 1&2 (Windows 10)

H all,

Im having lots of difficulty navigating audio recording since moving from MAC to PC.

I am running windows 10, with an RME UC.

I have plugged synths into inputs 1 & 2 in the UC. The levels looks fine on TotalMix for Mics 1 & 2 and Mainout.

However - There is no sound coming through. And when I open Pro Tools, inputs 1 & 2 are the only UC inputs not detected.

Am I missing something regarding windows configuration?

Btw, I can never hear iTunes / youtube playback at the same time as pro tools. This was never a problem with my Mac. Is there a way around this with Windows setups?

Is this why Apple is endorsed so much more than microsoft for creative work?

Another issue I have, is that in Playback Engine, the only buffer size available is 128 when I have Asio Fireface USB selected.

Why does windows have such problems with setting up? Apple was a breeze.

Thankyou!
Old 01-30-2017, 08:52 PM

Default Re: PT 11 not recognizing RME inputs 1&2 (Windows 10)

Apple is breeze because there are a very small number of hardware combinations(motherboard/chipset/cpu). With PC's there are literally hundreds of combinations and probably 2/3rds will not work well, if at all. One thing that most Windows users do is set Windows(under Sound>Properties) to NOT use the interface as its default playback device. That avoids any hardware conflicts. While SOME hardware drivers are "multi-client", many are not, which can make Windows "take control" and not allow you to change buffer or sample rate in Pro Tools. Start there and see if it solves your issue. If it DOES, then you can think about other ways to hear Windows sounds. My method is to route the motherboard's optical SPDIF to an input on a Presonus Central Station. I just hit a button to switch between Pro Tools audio and Windows audio(actually, the CS allows me to go between 3 sets of speakers, plus an iPod cable and a completely separate workstation I sometimes use for mastering, and for opening older projects with PT10, or even LE7.4 on a Mac G4(handy for converting older sessions done in SD II format)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-31-2017, 10:53 AM

The RME UC, IIRC, Has TotalMix - check the routing in that first, then the routing in PT.

RME's drivers are rock solid and may allow you to play Windows sounds/audio through the UC.

Have a look at the Help Us Help You link above the forum and this Thread. Posting a Sandra Report will help as well and get you more help. As albee said, PCs are not the monolithic computer Macs are, way too much variation for the Diva (Avid backwards) Pro Tools is, so care must be taken.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 01-31-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
H all,

Im having lots of difficulty navigating audio recording since moving from MAC to PC.

I am running windows 10, with an RME UC.

I have plugged synths into inputs 1 & 2 in the UC. The levels looks fine on TotalMix for Mics 1 & 2 and Mainout.

However - There is no sound coming through. And when I open Pro Tools, inputs 1 & 2 are the only UC inputs not detected.

Am I missing something regarding windows configuration?
So are you saying your first available inputs are 3&4 ?
If so go into the io settings and hit "Default on all tabs" to reset everything to the RME's default io.

Of course as albee1952 said dont select the Windows OS audio record and playback settings to use the RME or PT and the OS will fight for exclusivity.
We have a video guide you might want to go through titled installing and trouble shooting 3rd party audio interfaces on Windows with Pro Tools here that may help explain.
http://www.pro-tools-pc.com/videos/t...m-maintenence/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Btw, I can never hear iTunes / youtube playback at the same time as pro tools. This was never a problem with my Mac. Is there a way around this with Windows setups?

Is this why Apple is endorsed so much more than microsoft for creative work?

Another issue I have, is that in Playback Engine, the only buffer size available is 128 when I have Asio Fireface USB selected.

Why does windows have such problems with setting up? Apple was a breeze.

Thankyou!
You need to set your buffer size in the RME setup before launching Pro Tools, Pro Tools will only see that buffer that has previously been set for non Avid interfaces.

Apple being endorsed for creative work is a matter of opinion which only seems to exist in the Pro Tools and Graphic design worlds and in my humble opinion is a hangover from the mid 1990's.
As with any system new to you, you need to learn how it functions and stop thinking with a frame of mind of how it operates on a Mac there are reasons why these things are different and for every for and against in each system as many arguments could be made, so I'd say take some time to learn the differences and in no time it'll be second nature to you, you've make the right first move by coming and asking for help.

Join the Facebook Pro Tools Windows User Group

Last edited by Neil H; 02-01-2017 at 07:49 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:43 PM

Thank you Neil. Great advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil H View Post
So are you saying your first available inputs are 3&4 ?
If so go into the io settings and hit "Default on all tabs" to reset everything to the RME's default io.

Of course as albee1952 said dont select the Windows OS audio record and playback settings to use the RME or PT and the OS will fight for exclusivity.
We have a video guide you might want to go through titled installing and trouble shooting 3rd party audio interfaces on Windows with Pro Tools here that may help explain.
http://www.pro-tools-pc.com/videos/t...m-maintenence/

You need to set your buffer size in the RME setup before launching Pro Tools, Pro Tools will only see that buffer that has previously been set for non Avid interfaces.

Apple being endorsed for creative work is a matter of opinion which only seems to exist in the Pro Tools and Graphic design worlds and in my humble opinion is a hangover from the mid 1990's.
As with any system new to you, you need to learn how it functions and stop thinking with a frame of mind of how it operates on a Mac there are reasons why these things are different and for every for and against in each system as many arguments could be made, so I'd say take some time to learn the differences and in no time it'll be second nature to you, you've make the right fist move by coming and asking for help.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
The RME UC, IIRC, Has TotalMix - check the routing in that first, then the routing in PT.

RME's drivers are rock solid and may allow you to play Windows sounds/audio through the UC.

Have a look at the Help Us Help You link above the forum and this Thread. Posting a Sandra Report will help as well and get you more help. As albee said, PCs are not the monolithic computer Macs are, way too much variation for the Diva (Avid backwards) Pro Tools is, so care must be taken.
Thank you!!
Old 01-31-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Apple is breeze because there are a very small number of hardware combinations(motherboard/chipset/cpu). With PC's there are literally hundreds of combinations and probably 2/3rds will not work well, if at all. One thing that most Windows users do is set Windows(under Sound>Properties) to NOT use the interface as its default playback device. That avoids any hardware conflicts. While SOME hardware drivers are "multi-client", many are not, which can make Windows "take control" and not allow you to change buffer or sample rate in Pro Tools. Start there and see if it solves your issue. If it DOES, then you can think about other ways to hear Windows sounds. My method is to route the motherboard's optical SPDIF to an input on a Presonus Central Station. I just hit a button to switch between Pro Tools audio and Windows audio(actually, the CS allows me to go between 3 sets of speakers, plus an iPod cable and a completely separate workstation I sometimes use for mastering, and for opening older projects with PT10, or even LE7.4 on a Mac G4(handy for converting older sessions done in SD II format)
Thanks Dave
Old 02-14-2017, 06:14 PM

was this ever resolved. I'm curious as I am looking into acquiring an RME Babyface module
http://www.facebook.com/truestpain

Mac Mini OSX Mountain Lion 10.8, 2.6 ghz, 8gbRAM, i7 Quad Core, Pro Tools 10.3.5, MBox 3 Pro