Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2010, 10:54 AM

Exclamation From Mac to Pc Pro tools " HELP"

Hi Everyone
Havent posted on here for a very long time sorry !
I used to use pro tools 8.01 on my Mac G5,Till the logic board died on me a few days ago, now to replace it i was quoted £750.00, way too much,So its now scrap !, ive just bought a quadcore Pc running windows 7, My Problem is this when i bought pro tools 7.1 for my mac it came with disks for windows xp aswell,(once i had it on my osx over the months i digitally upgraded to 7.4 then 8.01 downloading from digidesign site).

My question is can i install the windows xp disk on this machine the just download the upgrades to 8.01 from my digidesign account, ( as the windows download is there aswell??) & will the iloc work with the windows version ??, sorry to sound like a noob but this is a bit confusing, or dreaded case do i have to buy pro tools 8 again from scratch, or is there a way of just downloading the 8.01 straight on to this machine??. Please if anyone can help i would be grateful
Many thanks in advance.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:48 AM

Default Re: From Mac to Pc Pro tools " HELP"

If you are a registered owner of a previous version, you can buy the downloadable upgrade to 8.xx from the AVID site.

The XP disks may or may not work depending on whether or not they are proprietary.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-10-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enforcer View Post
Hi Everyone
Havent posted on here for a very long time sorry !
I used to use pro tools 8.01 on my Mac G5,Till the logic board died on me a few days ago, now to replace it i was quoted £750.00, way too much,So its now scrap !, ive just bought a quadcore Pc running windows 7, My Problem is this when i bought pro tools 7.1 for my mac it came with disks for windows xp aswell,(once i had it on my osx over the months i digitally upgraded to 7.4 then 8.01 downloading from digidesign site).

My question is can i install the windows xp disk on this machine the just download the upgrades to 8.01 from my digidesign account, ( as the windows download is there aswell??) & will the iloc work with the windows version ??, sorry to sound like a noob but this is a bit confusing, or dreaded case do i have to buy pro tools 8 again from scratch, or is there a way of just downloading the 8.01 straight on to this machine??. Please if anyone can help i would be grateful
Many thanks in advance.
Tom, He already purchased the upgrade, but PT 7 won't work on win 7. How do ya upgrade, from that? Do the upgrades work on mac AND pc?
Old 02-10-2010, 11:57 AM

I need coffee!!!

There is a full install for PT8.0.3 LE, I'm not positive about M-Powered. XP would be my first choice though.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-10-2010, 12:01 PM

You should be able to login to yourAVID account and download it again as AVID doesn't care whether you download a windows or mac version to the best of my knowledge.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:02 PM

I got the upgrade amnesty, and I have the full installer in my MyDigi acount for m powered. Ahh Yes, Coffee.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:32 PM

Unhappy Re: From Mac to Pc Pro tools " HELP"

Thanks for the response guys, but this doesnt really help me, perhaps someone from the digidesign site can answer these questions for me.
I imagine if i go to install my version 7.1 from disk, it wont load as its originally for xp. so how do i get a version of 7.1 on my pc ,So i can then download the update thats waiting in my avid account, i dont want to go back to xp as i quite like windows 7, but i need to get pro tools on my system as soon as possible.
Oncw again many thanks for all your help guys.

Sorry just one more thought, if i was to download the 8.01 demo from digidesign, would it then let me plugin my Ilok and download the update from the Avid site??
that way getting away from the 7.1 xp disk????
Old 02-10-2010, 11:21 PM

The ILOK will work on windows. You should have access to a download of PT in your account on AVID when you log in. The only thing is you might have to download the 8.0 installer and also the 8.0.3 updater as I don't know if they have updated the site with a 8.0.3 full installer but you should definitely qualify as you were running a mac version of this. I know the ILOK will work on both platforms because I have ran both m_powered versions myself on my laptops. I hope that answered your question. You cannot install the 7.1 windows version. You need to download the full 8.0 version but as long as you purchased it for mac, you should qualify for the windows version period. I just re-read your last post about your update in your avid account. What exact version is it. Does it say updater or installer?

Old 02-12-2010, 05:51 AM

Many thanks caruso7r
Problem solved, avid had the Pro Tools 8.03 windows installer, downloaded and installed, all seems to be working now!

Thanks once again
Old 02-12-2010, 01:28 PM

Glad you're up and running.