Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 06-25-2009, 06:42 AM

Default Pro Tools and Yamaha Motif XS8 Midi Issue

I'm wondering if anyone here is using PT with a Motif XS in their MIDI set-up. I've run into an issue which has proven to be rather frustrating, which I'll attempt to describe.

My set-up is PT 7.4cs7 MBox 2 Mini, running on Win XP (home edition) SP3 on a Dell. I have a USB midi connection to my Yamaha Motif XS8 and have the Motif set-up in PT as the main control surface. Until now, all has worked swimmingly. Oh, I also have an ethernet connection from the Motif to my PC for saving and loading voice, song, arp etc files from and to the Motif for back-up and keeping all the various voice banks I have for the Motif. That works fine too.

Recently Yamaha released an upgrade to the Motif OS to version 1.51, so I downloaded it from the Yamaha website to install on the Motif. Earlier this week, I was working on a project in PT with a MIDI file arrangement, which I was voicing with various patches off the Motif, in SONG mode. I've done a lot of this, and its worked great. Then, I remembered I had the upgrade so, I saved my work on PT, closed it all down and followed the instructions from Yamaha to upgrade the Motif OS. Everything worked on the Motif, so I re-booted PT and the project I was working on to go back to doing what I had been doing.

That's when the issue surfaced. For some reason, as soon as I boot up PT, the Motif gets sluggish. What that means is that there is a 2-6 second lag (yes, I timed it) when I attempt to switch functions on the Motif by hitting any of the many buttons. For example, in SONG mode, I wanted to switch one of the voices on a track, but when I try to call up the voice menu, there's a lag, and when I use the selector wheel, there's a lag. Depending on what function I try to use, the lag can be shorter or longer.

The only changed variable is the OS upgrade on the Motif. I've reported this over on the Motifator forum, and I've had a phone call with Yamaha, but so far no one seems to know why this is an issue. Has any here experienced this? Any ideas as to what might be causing the issue?

The problem only arises when I boot up PT with Motif. And, as I said, until this latest OS upgrade, this has never been an issue. Any thoughts from anyone?

THanks!
Old 06-30-2009, 06:06 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools and Yamaha Motif XS8 Midi Issue

Hi
My first question is if you have the XS8 why are you not using the
Mlan for all your Yamaha connections.
I have the XS6 and had to buy the Mlan but with the XS8 it comes standard
all you need is a 1394 FireWire and download the drivers from Yamaha web
and your all set.
I find this much better then usb connections for the Yamaha XS,just make sure you update the Yamaha firmware which you can find out how in the manual.

If your having trouble with any updates do what I always do,I always use
system restore,always set up a restore date before you update anything,this way if there is a problem you just revert back to your original settings.
You can't trust every update to work with your particular system perfectly.

I use the Yamaha xs6, LE factory with PT8.
In your Yamaha you will go to utility,control,midi.
set the local control to off,the interface to mlan.
I use the digi midi device Yamaha patch or sometimes just use the sounds from the motif or plugins.
When I first got into all this their was all this cry on the web how the Motif drivers do not work with digi drivers
not true I for one have no problem making both hard ware work together with no issues.

Good Luck
Macvee
Old 06-30-2009, 08:46 AM

I opted not to go the Mlan route precisely because I was told, more than once, that I wouldn't gain anything in my interface with Pro Tools. Are you saying that isn't so? What exactly are you able to do with the Motif through Mlan?

If the Mlan does interface with PT, why does everyone say it doesn't?
Which DAW setting do you have on the Motif, since PT is not one of the options?

You've got me curious now.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macvee View Post
Hi
My first question is if you have the XS8 why are you not using the
Mlan for all your Yamaha connections.
I have the XS6 and had to buy the Mlan but with the XS8 it comes standard
all you need is a 1394 FireWire and download the drivers from Yamaha web
and your all set.
I find this much better then usb connections for the Yamaha XS,just make sure you update the Yamaha firmware which you can find out how in the manual.

If your having trouble with any updates do what I always do,I always use
system restore,always set up a restore date before you update anything,this way if there is a problem you just revert back to your original settings.
You can't trust every update to work with your particular system perfectly.

I use the Yamaha xs6, LE factory with PT8.
In your Yamaha you will go to utility,control,midi.
set the local control to off,the interface to mlan.
I use the digi midi device Yamaha patch or sometimes just use the sounds from the motif or plugins.
When I first got into all this their was all this cry on the web how the Motif drivers do not work with digi drivers
not true I for one have no problem making both hard ware work together with no issues.

Good Luck
Macvee
Yes, you can do MIDI with the firewire set up but NOT audio. The big advantage to Firewire and mLAN is the ability to transfer audio via the mLAN connection, which effectively makes the Motif a big soft-synth. You transfer up to 16 audio tracks directly to, say Logic Pro or Cubase from the MOTIF. Having the extra MIDI capability is nice, but I don't see it as all that necessary without the audio. If DIGI and Yamaha ever allow mLAN to work in Pro Tools, then I'll be REALLY excited!

HINT HINT HINT