Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2011, 05:16 PM

Default MC Control and Axiom 61 Pro. Compatible?

Hi. I would like to know if it's possible to use an M-Audio Axiom 61 Pro and a Euphonix MC Control at the same time, without confusing the computer. I ask this because both products control your DAW, and a lot of knobs are automatically assigned. One is connected via Ethernet cable, and the other via USB. Can I control my DAW from both? Should I disable Hyper Control so not to confuse the computer? From what I've read, Hyper Control cannot be absolutely disabled, but "diminished" to a simple transport control, which the MC Control also has.

The ideal would be to have the MC Control to be the main control surface, controlling the DAW as a whole, plug-ins and so on. The Axiom Pro would be the MIDI Controller and with its knobs I can control (live recording of different parameters) virtual instruments, for example.

Using Logic 9 and Pro Tools HD 9. What other Midi controller would you guys recommend? Minimum of 61 keys, fully and easily compatible with Pro Tools and Logic, has knobs to assign certain virtual instrument parameters (midi mapping).
Old 02-11-2011, 06:10 PM

Default Re: MC Control and Axiom 61 Pro. Compatible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimk View Post
From what I've read, Hyper Control cannot be absolutely disabled, but "diminished" to a simple transport control, which the MC Control also has.
No, no, Axiom Pro HyperControl can be set to Transport Mode. Ummm... one observation I've had with two simultaneous control surfaces and it is not my intention to diminish the ability too use two simultaneous control surfaces like Axiom Pro and MC Control and admittedly these control surfaces that I've experienced have been Axiom Pro and FaderPort in HUI Mode, Axiom Pro took full functionality whilst FaderPort if you will disabled to only transport controls. It is to be fair not my experience to judge Axiom Pro and MC Control as that is not what I'm referring too.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:13 AM

I'm also interested in the Novation SL MkII. Does anybody think the MC Control and the Novation can live together? It seems the Novation doesn't take control of all the DAW's parameters automatically. You can assign them as you wish...
Old 04-01-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimk View Post
I'm also interested in the Novation SL MkII. Does anybody think the MC Control and the Novation can live together? It seems the Novation doesn't take control of all the DAW's parameters automatically. You can assign them as you wish...
I hoped somebody would ask that question one day as I wanted to do the same about a year ago and nobody could answer it for sure!

I can confirm now that the MC Control works perfectly together with the Novation Zero SL MkII (or any Automap-enabled device I suppose) in Logic Pro. I use the MC Control to get a global overview of my tracks and do most of my mixing. I use the Zero SL MkII to set up custom layouts for each plugin. The MC Control also enables the editing of all parameters but doesn't allow a custom layout per plugin (each instrument/fx). I was glad to see that the two technologies can perfectly co-exist without ANY problems. Amazing software architecture from both companies. Please be aware though that you need at least Logic 9.0.1 to be fully compatible with Automap Pro.