How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2000, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Sound Replacer Drum Samples

Gee didn't mean to start a war here...
yes i have it, yes i've used it, and i didn't mean to sound crass, but as with amp farm i here these tools being used every day and its not hard to hear them. my point was just that three velocity crossfaded samples is not nearly as expressive as a real snare drum and to me theres no substitute for the real thing. Enjoy!
Old 12-19-2000, 04:59 PM

Uhhh, triggered samples have been with us in popular music for a while now. Sometimes it's drum choice, as noted above, often it's trying to get just a little more snap in the highs and mids without adding more OH leakage, to get the drums to compete with what seems to be an ever increasing mix density, especially in rock.
But you're right, a great drummer is a breath of fresh air for all of us.
Old 12-20-2000, 12:29 AM

Is sound replacer the best for replacing original drum sounds? I have never used it, or any other DAW system drum replacement device. But it sure would be nice to replace some bad sounding drum tracks.

God Bless!
Y.B.I.C.
Bill

------------------
Thanks and God BLess!
Y.B.I.C.
Bill
Old 12-21-2000, 12:49 AM

tuchel.....a company called wizoo do 24 bit drum samples in akai format....demo sounds great....check 'em out: http://www.wizoo.com/sample_library.htm
ciao dude
Old 12-21-2000, 11:15 AM

Thanks gio.
I emailed them to find out how 16 bit akai machines play back 24 bit samples. The software sampler Unity supports 24 bit, maybe it has something to do with that.
Thanks again.

tuchel
Old 12-25-2000, 11:05 AM

I use a set of V-Drums and they sound great. I also pulled a few of the drums I especially liked off V-Drums, into a folder I use for other peoples sessions I work on that need replacement sounds. Everyone likes the V-Drum Sounds once you learn to use the kit. pa-rump-a-pum-pum
Old 12-29-2000, 12:23 AM

In the last four months I've recorded three of the best drummers alive, in killer studios with killer engineers. The problem is, I'm making big rock and getting that snare to poke out with just the right tone is difficult. I ain't no Lord Blue-Green Algae here.

In sending roughs to the A&R devil, I always use samples to give it that extra slice, on the snare and the kick. Often what I'll do is wrangle the drummer into giving me individual hits after the last take -- so I have the guy's snare sound, all alone and beautiful, on twelve tracks. I can mix the rooms the way I want and bounce the sound into the perfect sample. It's his hit, his snare in the room with the rest of the drums, but without all the cymbal crap, so I can squash & eq the bejeezus out of it. This works really great.

Other times, I just grab something off the ole Clearmountain cd (it's copied onto my desktop) and that works really great too.
Old 03-02-2001, 12:26 AM

i just recorded 10 songs for a band and the drummers kick drum was way too muffled and i wanted to change it a day after recording. well no matter what mix of EQ or compression i used it was still a crappy kick drum. only if i had sound replacer it would've made all the difference in the world for that recording.