Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2012, 12:45 PM

Talking retina display macs and pt10

Anyone have PT 10 running on a NEW retina Display mac with flash storage instead of a HD? My mac was just stolen two days ago and the insurance co is already cutting me a check to replace it. Just curious because I am thinking of getting a new macbook... but not sure if anyone already has it running PT10.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:49 PM

Default Re: retina display macs and pt10

I've ordered one with top configuration on all selecteble options, but I have not received it yet
Old 06-28-2012, 02:27 PM

I am most concerned with the lack of FireWire port on the new laptops... I know they are supposed to make a thunderbolt to firewire adapter but that isnt out yet and according to apple wont be out until late summer...I am intrigued by the thought of the os and PT10 running from a flash drive (SSD) instead of a 5400RM hard drive.... I have a 002R and DIGIMAX FS connected to it for 8 additional inputs with ADAT and l am hoping to continue to use my laptop as my mobile rig and transfer to the main macpro for editing. I wish someone would come out with either an Esata or thunderbolt interface...
I really dont want to spend the extra grand to get an apple display just to have the thunderbolt hub that has the FW,USB.. and other connectors.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:36 PM

I guess I'm crazy, but I also ordered Apple Thunderbolt Display, so I hope the FireWire will work from that monitor
Old 06-28-2012, 03:57 PM

While you may be a trailblazer, I think you'll be okay. Just follow all the troubleshooting tips. Are you going to use an external drive or the internal "SSD"? Avid hasn't approved SSD's yet, but there are several people on the MIO mailing list using them for live recording with our issue. Anywho let us know how it turns out. I may be looking at one in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
Are you going to use an external drive or the internal "SSD"?
Yes, SSD for recording, but maybe I'll go for an external disk for my sample library's
Old 06-28-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ha2dorff View Post
Yes, SSD for recording, but maybe I'll go for an external disk for my sample library's
I would go the other way around.

Flash memory has a limited number of writes, and you can only write so many tracks at once anyway. Besides... there are so many ways now to load a session into RAM, there's not a lot of reason to get the fastest drive for sessions. Get a more reliable drive, over a faster one. As long as it's 7200RPM and FW400 or better (TBolt should work great, even USB3 should be fine), you're good to go.

You'd rather software and/or samples on the flash drive for the tremendous read times. You will improve performance more this way than having just the sessions on the flash drive.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 06-28-2012, 06:17 PM

And to the other question, the Thunderbolt display works fine as a firewire adapter.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:11 AM

Thanks for your replies and advices :)
Old 06-29-2012, 12:11 PM

I just got my 2.6Ghz with 16 gig ram macbook retina. This thing smokes my 17". Sessions that would bring the 17 to it's knees are at about 20% CPU on this thing. Using the internal 512gig SSD.

I'm just using the core audio until the firewire adapter comes out, so far the only issue is the pop up menu or I/O and plug ins has a little line that runs through it. I've been rocking it in extra screen space mode and love it so far.

I'm running 10.2, waves 9 and sound toys plugs.