Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion

Old 06-27-2021, 11:48 AM

Default SSL UC1 plugin controller

I've been waiting for this exciting new product to show up on the DUC, but I can see nothing so far, so I'm starting this thread.

https://www.solidstatelogic.com/products/uc1

I've ordered one, and expecting it to arrive next week. I think this is going to be a game changer, at least for me. I see it like this; I'll plug it in, after having inserted SSL Native Channelstrip on every channel and Bus Compressor on sub mixes and master, and I turn off the computer screens.

Looking down on the Command8 and the UC1, I'll be able to mix with my ears and not my eyes, like in the old days with consoles. I expect to have immediate, intuitive control like never before with in-the-box mixing, from day one. No mouse, no screen. Navigation, transport and other plugins controlled via the Command8 like before - EQ and dynamics across the board w/UC1. Of course, I'll have to sit in front of the screen every now and then to arrange, prepare, edit and so on, but when mixing this will be heaven for me.

Oh, and I've owned the SSL Native plugins since last year, and I sware, I never heard anything like them. They just sound lovely, so I have no problem using them for all channels and busses. I can of course use any other PIs, but will have to control them via Command8 or with mouse/screen.

Big GearSpace thread about UC1:
https://gearspace.com/board/new-prod...ontroller.html

I'll report back when this baby is in my posession.
Anybody have it already? Please chime in.
Old 06-29-2021, 08:36 AM

Default Re: SSL UC1 plugin controller

I've watched a few video demos and it looks very promising. I hope the channel strip plugin isn't a resource hog so you CAN use it across every track. I bought the new KIT plugin for Blackbird's Neve and it sounds great, BUT if I load up more than 20 or so, my system usage meter goes red

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-29-2021, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I've watched a few video demos and it looks very promising. I hope the channel strip plugin isn't a resource hog so you CAN use it across every track. I bought the new KIT plugin for Blackbird's Neve and it sounds great, BUT if I load up more than 20 or so, my system usage meter goes red
I've had the Native bundle since they were on sale last year, and besides sounding fantastic they are really easy on the cpu. Basically the two main reasons I see myself incorporating UC1 and the plugins in my workflow in a very fundamental way.

I cant find the thread now, but I remember getting feedback from Christopher, Southsidemusic, after I had praised the sound. After saying like "yea, yea. I heard every SSL emulation that's out there, and they're nothing like the real thing", he got back and said they had compared the plugins to their real ssl desk and were very surprised how close it was.
Old 07-16-2021, 09:35 AM

SSL 360 plugin, controller along with Eucon?
Hopefully not like HUI/C|24 meter loss when used with Eucontrol.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:49 PM

Well, I finally got mine. I've had it for 24hrs now, I thought I'd share my initial reactions and thoughts.

It went like I expected, I plugged it in and it worked right away, as I had PT running with a session with SSL plugins and SSL 360 running also. It's built like a tank, looks lovely, only thing was the pots. They might not feel as solid as I expected, and also a very slight difference in the resistance on them. And the square buttons a tiny bit flimsy as well. But this are tiny, tiny issues that I forget about when I use it.

In use: If you've seen and used a channelstrip, there is almost nothing to it, you can dive right in. Navigating is easy, displays are loud and clear, feedback on values are easy to see.

Together with my 8 fader Command 8, I can now look away from the screen when mixing, or turn it off. This is provided that the session has been set up correctly. This is the one thing that require some work for things work. F.ex you need to have the channelstrip plugin instantiated on all active tracks and they have to be active, not bypassed. If not the solo function on the UC1 will not function correctly as it works on the 360 app and not the solo in PT. 360 is like a 'shell' between PT and UC1 which administers activity between UC1 and every instance of the plugins you have in PT. Or any other DAW for that matter, as this thing can switch instantly between DAWs. And one must remember to solo-safe bus compressors on submixes. Also done in 360, not w/PT's solo-safe.

I mixed away all night. I really feel it gives me speed, and a flow that lets me mix better! I can hear the results. I think I'm pushing limits more also, because I'm not looking at curves and values so much, and the plugins can take it, extreme settings, no problem. I can go thru tracks eq'ing and compressing, solo'ing, latch solo'ing more tracks, all on the UC1. Clear all solo's with a click of a button. And of course control my bus compressors, it just works.

On the Command 8 I have the transport, faders, mute, solo, pans and sends to navigate the big picture, and control other plugins.

The only times you need the PT screens are to insert plugins, change routings, things like that.

But the main thing, overshadowing everything else is that it lets me focus on what I'm hearing in a totally different way than when I'm using half my brain looking at tons of on-screen info. Makes a world of difference. And it's why I got it.

I'm loving it.

Last edited by Ben Jenssen; 07-19-2021 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Added 'the main thing'
Old 07-20-2021, 08:05 AM

Thanks for sharing that. You're making me jealous

Old 01-05-2022, 03:20 PM

Ben, Hello. Did you try to use pro tools midi learn in conjunction with UC1? Im curious if I can assign the uc1 to another channel strips like PA ones. I was able to do that on my command 8 to make muscle memory but im interest on getting a UC1.Thanks
Old 01-06-2022, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeGutierrezMix View Post
Ben, Hello. Did you try to use pro tools midi learn in conjunction with UC1? Im curious if I can assign the uc1 to another channel strips like PA ones. I was able to do that on my command 8 to make muscle memory but im interest on getting a UC1.Thanks
I haven't tried it, but I'm pretty shure it won't work, simply because, in my experience most plugins don't have the midi learn function. Most virtual instrument plugins do, but most others don't. All my plugins show up on my command8, but that's pre-programmed into the plugin, and can't be edited as far as I know.

It's been speculated that SSL might colaborate with other channelstrip manufacturers to make UC1 work with them, but personally I think it will never happen.
Old 01-06-2022, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I haven't tried it, but I'm pretty shure it won't work, simply because, in my experience most plugins don't have the midi learn function. Most virtual instrument plugins do, but most others don't. All my plugins show up on my command8, but that's pre-programmed into the plugin, and can't be edited as far as I know.

It's been speculated that SSL might colaborate with other channelstrip manufacturers to make UC1 work with them, but personally I think it will never happen.
My thoughts exactly and the easy way to check is to open any plugin you are curious about and right-click on any control to see if Midi Learn is an option One possible solution here would be to use a Presonus Faderport V2 with neyrinck's V-Control Pro as it has a great feature for the knob(or fader) controlling any knob you hover your mouse over(but I have no idea if there will be any conflict between HUI devices).

Old 01-07-2022, 04:18 AM

Of course,, it would have been fantastic if we could use the UC1 on any channelstrip plugin, but then, there would always be parameters that would not fit the layout on UC1 so it'd never be perfect.

I've settled with using SSL as the prime channelstrip on all "source" tracks (Audio and VI's), and bus compressor on most aux'es. I don't use channelstrip on aux'es because it's a little inconvenient with the solo function on ssl/360 and solo-safe'ing. All "source" tracks have on inserts:
A: VU meter with trim/phase/filters++. -18dbfs calibration.
B: Reserved for "flavour" plug, like 'preamp' plugs, tape emu's - trying out Kazrog True Iron now, very nice.
C: SSL Native Channelstrip.
Anything else goes on D-J.
Works very nicely.

Last edited by Ben Jenssen; 01-08-2022 at 08:53 AM.