How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2014, 12:39 PM

Default Moving from PT10 to 11: three questions

Hi guys,

I want to move from PT10 to PT11 on my iMac 27 with MboxPro.

To make things simple, I want to remove PT10 and all RTAS and AAX32 plugins from my iMac altogether.

1) Has anyone done that? Is it enough just to follow Avid instructions on removing PT10 clean? Then remove all plugins? Then install PT11 and AAX64 plugins?

2)I am using OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion. Should I stay with Mountain Lion or move to Maverick? Which works better with PT11 at the moment?

3) Would anyone advise cleaning all OS X or even reinstall it? Any need for that? I am kinda unsure about the remnants of third party RTAS plugins, something of them are scattered in different locations (prefs folders, etc).

Thanks in advance!

Host: iMac 27" QuadCore i7, 3.4GHz/32GB RAM/768 GB size internal SSD HD. OS X 10.8.3. Interface: Avid Mbox 3 Pro. Monitoring: Yamaha HS80M + Avantone MixCubes. Two external HD (7200 rpm, 64 cache): Buffalo DriveStation (for audio projects) + OWC Pro (for instruments' libraries). Instruments and plugins: NI Komplete 9 and East West Complete Composer's Collection 2 and other.

Moved from Cubase 3 to PT10+MboxPro. Very happy with PT10!

Last edited by Zakazastar; 10-11-2014 at 01:19 AM.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:55 AM

Default Re: Moving from PT10 to 11: three questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakazastar View Post
Hi guys,
I want to remove PT10 and all RTAS and AAX32 plugins from my iMac altogether.
Yes, it can be done as you describe, but may I ask why the slash and burn against PT10? On your OS, you can run the two side by side untill you smooth over any bumps.

Quote:
2)I am using OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion. Should I stay with Mountain Lion or move to Maverick? Which works better with PT11 at the moment?
I have HD software, but not HD hardware. I'm running 10 and 11 under Mavericks without any problems. BUT from what I understand, the version 10 installer has problems under 10.9, so the dual versions only work when you upgrade.

For example, I have a test partition where I wanted to run Yosemite, PT10 & PT11. I had to install 10.8, then both versions of PT, them upgrade to 10.9 then upgrade to 10.10. (I might have been able to go straight to 10.10 from 10.8 but I had the installers so what the hell.)

Quote:
3) Would anyone advise cleaning all OS X or even reinstall it?
I do plan to do this for 10.10 - rebuilt the drive from scratch, but I don't feel it's an absolute necessity. Last time I did it was for 10.8 and, like you, I just wanted to clear out any old crap. When I do something this dramatic, I also use it as an opportunity to get a larger drive and build on there. This way, during the transition, I always have the previous working drive to go back to if there are problems.

Good Luck!
Michael
Old 10-11-2014, 08:23 AM

Thanks for reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoyle View Post
Yes, it can be done as you describe, but may I ask why the slash and burn against PT10? On your OS, you can run the two side by side untill you smooth over any bumps.
Well, I have installed quite many plugins in RTAS format as I was waiting for AAX64 upgrades to appear. Now upgrades are out there. So I am scared to just install AAX64 upgrades right on top of RTAS versions. What if something gets messed up?

(I use NI Komplete 9, SoundToys, East West, McDSP, Waves plugs. Also Digidesign and Avid, of course )

Also, as I have all AAX64 versions, I won't be needing PT10 anymore, right?

Host: iMac 27" QuadCore i7, 3.4GHz/32GB RAM/768 GB size internal SSD HD. OS X 10.8.3. Interface: Avid Mbox 3 Pro. Monitoring: Yamaha HS80M + Avantone MixCubes. Two external HD (7200 rpm, 64 cache): Buffalo DriveStation (for audio projects) + OWC Pro (for instruments' libraries). Instruments and plugins: NI Komplete 9 and East West Complete Composer's Collection 2 and other.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:16 AM

If all your 3rd party plugins are now AAX64, then there's no reason to have PT10 installed anymore. So I would do this:

1. Do a complete (clean) uninstall of PT10. This will get rid of PT10 and all free bundled PT10 plugins (don't worry, as installing PT11 will reinstall all the new versions).

2. With each brand of third party plugins, follow the recommended way to uninstall their plugins (unless you absolutely know that you have the latest versions). In the case of Waves, they just released an updated installer a few days ago, it will uninstall the 9.2 plugins and install 9.3. For the other brands, consult the website. The goal here is to have the least clutter, and everywhere you can uninstall RTAS, you should do so. In some cases, the installers simply install AAX, RTAS, VST, and AU all in one shot, with no way to separate them. Not a big deal. But in other cases, when you're installing, they let you choose each one. In that case, uncheck RTAS (and VST and AU unless you need them for other applications).

3. There may be some considerations for Avid separately purchased plugins. These are ones that are not bundled free with Protools, but are separately purchased (Eleven LE, TL Space, Reel Tape Suite, and so on). In most cases, you can uninstall the old ones and download the newest installers. But for ones that were sold to InMusic, namely all the Instrument Pack ones like Hybrid, Transfuser, etc., it can be complicated. Let us know if you have any of those.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:20 PM

Thanks for very clear instructions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
But for ones that were sold to InMusic, namely all the Instrument Pack ones like Hybrid, Transfuser, etc., it can be complicated. Let us know if you have any of those.
Nope, I don't have these.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:27 PM

First thing you should consider is....a BACKUP PLAN! For me, that would mean cloning your current system drive to a clean external drive of the same capacity. Normally, I would actually swap the clone into the computer, but that's maybe not feasible with an iMac, but just having a clone would give you the ability to boot from(or clone from) the external. Assuming what you have now, works well, it would be a shame to trash it in the name of "updating". If all goes well for a few months, feel free to clone over and backup your newer setup(you will NEVER regret having a backup). And if something goes bad.....you get the idea

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-12-2014, 01:34 PM

Default Moving from PT10 to 11: three questions

Image backup to an external drive to be paranoid, but then on another external drive install a clean OS X, clean pro tools 11 and minimum drivers needed and fully optimize the system. Test it works, if OK install plugins, testing as you go. Then install any other apps and utilituies, testing they don't break things. Once you have a working system on the external drive clone that onto the internal drive.

People who want to take a working system and destructively upgrade it without least bootable image backups (and check they boot OK before starting) are just plain nuts, you should be working in a way that that you are one reboot away from getting back to your working system.

In-situ upgrades of OS X are often problematic, always take any opportunity you can to do full clean OS X installs.

This may also be the time to think about installing a new boot/system SSD, I which case use an external dock to install everything on it and once fully working and tested OK then swap that SSD into the iMac. Many places can do that for you if opening the iMac worries you.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:54 AM

This is very useful, thanks!

Old 10-13-2014, 01:52 AM

Thanks everyone for help!

So if I move to PT11 with no PT 10, is it better to move to Mavericks (which version?). Or Mountain Lion will work great too?

I see PT11 compatibility grid (below) and I get confused, too many options

Old 10-13-2014, 02:38 AM

Just wait a few days and jump straight to Yosemite. I've already tested PT11.2.1 for some time and have found only two glitches:

- Waves License Center does not work
- Sonnox plugin installers do not work (but the plugins will)

Clean install is always the preferred method when you do major updates so that's what I'd suggest. You never know what kind of random errors you carry over to the upgraded system.