Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2002, 03:31 PM

Default Mastering gear

Hi,
I'm a mastering engineer.I've got a pretty nice setup right now.However I'd like to make some changes to it.
I'm looking for an analog compressor and eq.
I've been considering Millenia Media,GML,Avalon,or Sontec as a repacement for Summit DCL-200 compressor.If any of you guys have had any experience on any of these please let me know.
For eq. I'm looking for a punchy,hard,kind of "in your face" sound.I've got Massive Passive which is nice,but doesn't deliver this quality.
Any comments are welcome.Thanks.
Old 08-16-2002, 09:24 PM

Default Re: Mastering gear

www.gearslutz.com
Old 08-17-2002, 07:07 AM

`Yeah go ask there,

Meanwhile the Cranesong STC8 is hailed as a great work horse / versitile compressor.

EQ?....Focusrite 315?

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
www.gearslutz.com
Old 08-17-2002, 07:42 AM

I had that massive passive for a while... you're right... it's kind of a gentle natural sound. I got some old API 550 & 550a eqs that have much more edge to them... yet are still very musical. I'm not a mastering engineer but have played around with them in that capacity... fun.

They're cheap, too. If you take your time and shop around you can still get them for $600-$800 each plus powersupply.
Old 08-17-2002, 11:27 AM

The Sontec is a great no-nonsense EQ(you want the mastering version by the way with repeatable settings). It is very neutral however and makes a great compliment to your Massive passive. As for compressors, there are a couple to choose from: The 2 most popular are the Manley Vari Mu and the Crane Song stated earlier. The Millenia Media reminds me a little of the GML compressor, transparent with a little color. As for your other question, if your looking for an EQ with "attitude", you'll be a little hard pressed. This is normally done with compression, more than EQ. I would think an Alan Smart C2 would be perfect in this situation. It can make a mix agressive and still retain a little clarity, although it has its own sound. For an Eq with a little bite, maybe a Daking? It is definitely agressive sounding although not very flexible for mastering.
Old 08-18-2002, 12:15 AM

Manley Vari-Mu
GML8200 EQ
Old 08-18-2002, 01:01 PM

Aalmost in the same boat.
Wanna leave the Q10, TC MASTER X, C4 plugins a little. Which should be a first entry box, not so expensive?
Thanks
Nice weekend
[email protected]
[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT Ultimate Native 2023.3 - Mac Mini M1 16GB RAM - Mac Os Ventura 13.2 - 2 192 IO Digidesign Digital

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 2008 16GB RAM

Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.
Old 08-18-2002, 01:29 PM

Have a friend here in N.O. whose been getting into the Mastering Biz. He's been through alot of stuff (most all the stuff you guys have mentioned), and the piece of gear that made the biggest "attitude" statement has been an 80s Ampex 2 track 1/2" analog machine. All of the EQs & compressors (solid state and tube) pale in comparison to what this baby does to a DAT or CD mix once it gets smacked to the analog tape!! He played some before and after stuff for me and I literally couldn't believe my ears!!
Now I know why the BIG BOYS out in LA, who charge $300+ per hour for mastering, ALL have these analog machines!! I went for mastering out at FutureDisk in 98', and was puzzled to discover that I was the ONLY person in years that came to them with a DAT tape of my mixes. EVERY other artist comes in with 1/2" analog tape!!

My friend's chain is now the Massive Passive for EQ, Variable MU for Compression, and the 1/2" Ampex. But, like I said, it's the 1/2" tape that makes the "HAIR STAND ON YOUR CHEST AND GIVES YOU THAT HEART WRENCHING KICK TO THE BALLS" !!!!! And this is all in the "post" phase after the mixes have been cheaply "digitally" mixed down to DAT or CD. Imagine MIXING to 1/2" tape instead ?

Undoubtedly, this is how I will make the 2 track mixes of my next album. HEARING IS BELIEVING!

my 2 cents worth

SAGE
Old 08-18-2002, 03:26 PM

thanks Schizo, but $300 an hour for mastering????
wow, even the best mstering lab is one third of this!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT Ultimate Native 2023.3 - Mac Mini M1 16GB RAM - Mac Os Ventura 13.2 - 2 192 IO Digidesign Digital

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 2008 16GB RAM

Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.
Old 08-18-2002, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by schizo:

But, like I said, it's the 1/2" tape that makes the "HAIR STAND ON YOUR CHEST AND GIVES YOU THAT HEART WRENCHING KICK TO THE BALLS" !!!!!
SAGE
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Man, that just sounds painful.
I don't want ANYTHING to do that, the very least my music....
That does it... i'm wearing a cup from now on.