Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 01:16 PM

Default DIGI, Come On...What\'s the deal 4 EXISTING HD SYS?

Okay, so you've addressed concerns for your potential NEW customers regarding releasing new HD systems that are PCIe. Great for someone who has never spent a dime on you. What are you going to do for your EXISTING PRO customers who already own HD and HD ACCEL cards and need a new computer? Is there going to be a REASONABLE upgrade or not? Something like the chip upgrades you did for DSP Farms when Apple went to G4s would be ideal. We have a right to know and you have an OBLIGATION to your existing customers who have spent literally tens of thousands of dollars on your products, often being PIONEERS of your new technology!!

I'm glad you have a plan to keep YOUR business going, now what are you going to do to keep OUR businesses going?
Old 10-25-2005, 02:00 PM

Default Re: DIGI, Come On...What\'s the deal 4 EXISTING HD SYS?

Ginger,

I bought a 2002 VW Passat GLX. Since then, VW has come out with upgrades that I wish I had. I have a few choices:

1. Live with my current vehicle (not a bad choice: it's paid for, it gets reasonably good fuel economy, drives great)
2. Sell my current vehicle on the open market and then use the proceeds to buy a new vehicle
3. Trade my current vehicle in for a new one - but the dealer will have to make money on the transaction, so I may not get full value.
4. Buy a 3rd party adapter for the navigation system that I lust for and pay a tech to install it for me.
5. Write a post on the VW owner's forum, demanding VW provide an upgrade path because I've been a good customer and spent more than $100,000 on VW's in the past 10 years.

With all due respect, your post sounds like you are YELLING at Digi, DEMANDING they give you something.

1. Current apple computers are good enough for current Digidesign cards.
2. you can still buy PCI(x) macs. 2.7DPs have not been discontinued... in fact, the price dropped.
3. There is still significant inventory of PCI(x) machines in the channel.
4. the new PCI-e macs are not shipping yet
5. There will be expansion chasis options to use your old PCI(x) cards in a PCI-e computer, if you need to do that
6. Why does Digidesign owe you (or me, or anyone) anything? Does your existing card(s) work in your exisitng system using exisitng software? OK. That's it. They don't owe you anything more than that.
7. how many posts do we have to endure on this subject?

I'll choose #1 in both cases.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:39 PM

First, I'm not yelling at anyone. I'm tired, like so many others on here, of being ignored and jerked around for our entire history as DIgi customers. I'm not asking DIgi to GIVE me anything, merely to answer a reasonable question. Based on that information I would be able to make a well informed BUSINESS decision - to buy a G5 now or to continue operating with what I have knowing that when I ABSOLUTELY have to get a new computer I will not have to buy an entirely new HD system. While it is true that Apple is still making the 2.7, none of us know how long that will continue AND there is currently an unresolved bug with these computers. I'm aware that expansion chassis are or will be available but I have no need or desire to purchase one and I shouldn't have to.
Maybe you are unfamiliar with the upgrade I SPECIFICALLY cited. If you knew what I was talking about you wouldn't have accused me of asking Digi to "give" me anything. Before HD, when Apple switched to G4s your DSP Farm needed a chip update to work in these new machines. You sent it in to DIgi and FOR A FEE, they put a new chip on your card. I'm simply asking IF Digi will offer a program like this where we could send our cards in and have a few electronics swapped out and a new, compatible connector for PCIe put on and the card sent back. That's all. I don't EXPECT which way they will answer. Just that they do answer yes or no. I don't expect a performance upgrade, additional functionality or ANYTHING else. I just want to know if there will be a path for my cards to work, just as they do now, no better, no worse, in a PCIe computer. I'm not even asking when or how much. JUST "IF!" If you really think there's something wrong with asking the question after all the money we have all spent, then I would LOVE for you to be my customer. You would never ask for ANY information and just blindly follow whatever direction I pointed you in!

Look at my membership date. I've been a member almost since this forum began. I've run the technical department for a major editorial company responsible for more than 10 systems. I personally own three and am VERY familiar with Digi's routine. I think given my experience, loyalty and personal investment I have every right to ask such a question. And yes, I do think they are obligated to respond, one way or the other. Aren't you tired of them ensuring their own viability by addressing issues that concern new buyers while ignoring those who have been loyal and spent so much of their hard-earned money that has kept them affloat?

Again, I repeat, I am just asking for AN ANSWER. I'm not telling them WHAT the answer should be although obviously I would like there to be a path to keep our current hardware running on new computers.

As far as how many threads like this you'll have to "endure" - I suppose as many as it takes to get an answer. If they would answer us, your beloved Digi would save you from these awful threads.
There's always another option - Don't read them! It seems you must get something out of it or you wouldn't keep reading and responding negatively to them. Just move on.

And your VW analogy - Unless you drive a VW cab for a living, that was a totally baseless analogy. As I said above, I'm not asking for anything more than I already have. And for most of us here, this is a BUSINESS. It's how we make our livelyhood and we have every right to ask questions that help us make financial decisions.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:49 PM

Quote:
What are you going to do for your EXISTING PRO customers who already own HD and HD ACCEL cards and need a new computer? Is there going to be a REASONABLE upgrade or not?
From another thread on this forum:

Quote:
>>Digi, any news on an upgrade path for those wanting to move existing systems to a more powerful mac?<<

Sorry, I don't have any specific information on hardware exchange programs. Any potential programs would be announced at the same time as the formal release of the product. Thanks for your interest.

DigiCS
Old 10-25-2005, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Ginger,

I bought a 2002 VW Passat GLX. Since then, VW has come out with upgrades that I wish I had. I have a few choices:

1. Live with my current vehicle (not a bad choice: it's paid for, it gets reasonably good fuel economy, drives great)
2. Sell my current vehicle on the open market and then use the proceeds to buy a new vehicle
3. Trade my current vehicle in for a new one - but the dealer will have to make money on the transaction, so I may not get full value.
4. Buy a 3rd party adapter for the navigation system that I lust for and pay a tech to install it for me.
5. Write a post on the VW owner's forum, demanding VW provide an upgrade path because I've been a good customer and spent more than $100,000 on VW's in the past 10 years.

With all due respect, your post sounds like you are YELLING at Digi, DEMANDING they give you something.

1. Current apple computers are good enough for current Digidesign cards.
2. you can still buy PCI(x) macs. 2.7DPs have not been discontinued... in fact, the price dropped.
3. There is still significant inventory of PCI(x) machines in the channel.
4. the new PCI-e macs are not shipping yet
5. There will be expansion chasis options to use your old PCI(x) cards in a PCI-e computer, if you need to do that
6. Why does Digidesign owe you (or me, or anyone) anything? Does your existing card(s) work in your exisitng system using exisitng software? OK. That's it. They don't owe you anything more than that.
7. how many posts do we have to endure on this subject?

I'll choose #1 in both cases.
Thats a pretty verbose metaphor you got going there.

I don't need to use one to remind you that soft samplers are now completely native, do I? You've done a fair amount of bellyaching about that right?

After the royal screwing MIDI based composers have received in the last several years from Digi, you begrudge us the upgrade path Digi has forced upon us?

If you don't want to endure posts like this buy Logic and go hang out on their forum.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:23 PM

Quote:
I don't need to use one to remind you that soft samplers are now completely native, do I? You've done a fair amount of bellyaching about that right?
?? Andy, are you referring to any posts I've made re: soft samplers? You must be confusing me with someone else...

My point about "enduring" these posts: some DUC users have a habit of making new posts, not contributing to exisitng. They come up here to ask or preach... not discuss. There are more than a few threads about hardware (pci-e, etc...) -- more than a few threads about software. More than a few threads about upgrade path -- it was obvious that Ginger did not read, or didn't care to participate in the previous threads.

Maybe I should start a new thread discussing the redundancy of the DUC threads?
Old 10-25-2005, 10:01 PM

"some DUC users have a habit of making new posts, not contributing to exisitng. ...More than a few threads about upgrade path -- it was obvious that Ginger did not read, or didn't care to participate in the previous threads. "

The previous thread that was specifically about a hardware upgrade went OT into a personal connection. I believe when Digi checks in they are most motivated to respond when the topic (i.e. headline) of a thread is addressed to them or relates to something other than "what's the best..., where can I find..., how do you..." I also feel if more threads are about the same issue, they might be more inclined to respond. Squeaky wheel and all that. If you noticed I did address it specifically to them and not to you or anyone else on here.

"They come up here to ask or preach... not discuss."

Have you looked in the mirror on this one. Replying with a line by line account of what MY options are isn't "preaching"? If that's not the pot calling the kettle... Not to mention it was extremely condescending.
Who made you forum moderator? It does not say anywhere that this is only for "discussing." Besides, how do you have a "discussion" without asking questions or stating your own experience or opinions?

Puuhhhlleeeeezzzz.

It's okay though. Just keep bi%^&#ng about it 'cause everytime you do, it just keeps this thread at the top!
Old 10-25-2005, 10:11 PM

You all need to chill. Its just audio..not exactly life threatening like other events around the globe.

"...As we are now concluding the qualification process, we currently expect to ship Pro Tools|HD core systems for PCIe before the end of the year. "

So this tells me that they need to work some technical issues out, write up a compatibilty report, get them manufactured and that by years end they EXPECT to be shipping. I'm sure that shortly before they ship we will have an answer to exchange/upgrade paths and such. Right now its Oct 25th which leaves 67 days till years end. As stated before there are still current G5's that the current HD systems will work with and nothing will be differrent DSP wise with the PCIe cards.
Also Digi, as a developer, was aware of Apples plans for new systems with PCIe but exactly when the new systems were to be announced they were not. So perhaps your concerns should be directed to the source. "um could I talk to Steve please"

Peace
Old 10-25-2005, 10:21 PM

Quote:
I'm tired, like so many others on here, of being ignored and jerked around for our entire history as DIgi customers. .
I have beed a Digi customser since Q Sheet cira 1987. I have since been a customer as Digi has always kept pace with VERY resonable upgrade offers. Plus customer service that is second to none in the industry.
I bought Stienberg and Lexicon software and those companies have left me blowing in the wind.
Digi is the only company that has a phone number I can call as a long time Logic user I no longer get to make tech calls.
I bought a 32 track PT III system back several years ago. 4 months later Digi came out with PT 24 I got a free upgrade and then 6 months later when the software upgrade was done I got a 64 track for $495.00.
I nearly fell over I have never been jerked around by Digi CS.
I am sorry you feel that way .
About your issue with the PCI matchmaker chips - if your card was out of warranty Digi only ever chagred I think $60 or $70 for the upgrade which IMO was very resonable.
Upgrades have been great most major updates come about every 10 months and at resoanble cost of less $200.00 for an update. Considering the 1000's of work hours that go into upgrades. That is dirt cheap and going way over the call of duty for a price.
All my Waves WUP costs over 500.00 PER YEAR.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:47 AM

I don't know what you read but none of my posts EVER complained about being charged for upgrades. I specifically cited that particular upgrade as a model of what they could offer because I too thought it was a great deal. I was trying to encourage them to follow what they've done with hardware situations like that in the past. Usually these "fixes" are announced concurrently with the new hardware being shipped. Would it kill them to let us know IF they will offer something or not? Again, I'm not asking for a date or a price; just "IF".

Please read carefully before commenting.

I'm glad you've had such a great experience.

You are, however, in the minority. Just because the industry standard is bad treatment does not make it acceptable.

I merely asked Digi a question and I have since been accused of complaining about paid upgrades, demanding to be given stuff, not adding to existing threads and then some. The first two NEVER HAPPENED and the others I've explained in my last post.

To repeat, PLEASE READ CAREFULLY before posting.