Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 12-24-2021, 11:10 PM

Default Re: Headphones in and out requires Pro Tools restart

I described exactly what it does up in this thread already. You can try it out for free.
Old 12-25-2021, 09:21 AM

Cool. Sorry I missed that extra bit you wrote. It's on my list to try it out. I guess it's something we have to get used to.
Old 01-02-2022, 12:57 PM

For anyone coming across this someday.. I found a work around that works good enough for me. Create a Multi-Output device in Audio Midi Setup. Deselect Speakers or Headphones as desired using the "Use" check boxes. You can also unplug / plug in headphones without causing it to force close the session... but *you must have headphones unchecked before unplugging...
Also, I don't see a way to include the mic as an input but this doesn't matter for me.
One more thing, when in Multi output, the volume keys can not adjust the volume. You need to go to the System Sound Preferences and select either headphones or speakers to assign the volume control to whichever you desire.

Last edited by Felix; 01-02-2022 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-19-2022, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix View Post
For anyone coming across this someday.. I found a work around that works good enough for me. Create a Multi-Output device in Audio Midi Setup. Deselect Speakers or Headphones as desired using the "Use" check boxes. You can also unplug / plug in headphones without causing it to force close the session... but *you must have headphones unchecked before unplugging...
Also, I don't see a way to include the mic as an input but this doesn't matter for me.
One more thing, when in Multi output, the volume keys can not adjust the volume. You need to go to the System Sound Preferences and select either headphones or speakers to assign the volume control to whichever you desire.
Just ran into this for the first time yesterday - I always use my MacPro rig, but had to do something on my 2021 MacBookPro (Monterey) and I ran into this.

this is bananas. WTF? :-(

any other easy workarounds? It would be nice to be able to fluidly switch between onboard macPro speakers, and wired headphones (no interface at all)
Old 10-02-2023, 04:28 PM

And just to update this thread, now that Pro Tools has Aux IO you can use that to route to the headphones without needing third party software like loopback.
Old 10-02-2023, 06:08 PM

Glad for this thread but also really annoyed the way Apple built this problem into the hardware and OS. In my case I need to switch between using headphones and a cable from the external out to monitors during class presentations. Based on the comments and suggestions it seems like my best solution is to get a stereo mini splitter. If the splitter remains plugged in, it won't matter if I'm changing anything on the other ends. At least that's my hope. We shall see.
Old 10-02-2023, 06:14 PM

It's oh so very annoying. I like to think it's somebody at Apple thinking "oh you annoying customers keep complaining about wanting physical headphone sockets... see how ya like this..."
Old 02-01-2024, 02:20 AM

As comprehensive and industry standard as Pro Tools is - there has always been a little glitch somewhere which makes it frustrating to use, and in my case - you are always a little nervous that you won't be able to show the director your work due to some potential issue which 'doesn't usually happen'. You just need to find a work around. I remember the days when you'd have one stereo track of music to play and you would press play and get a CPU overload and it would crash - resulting in an angry director and 100 crew looking at you as you went bright red - very frustrating. Often it meant looking into chipsets of hard drives - and virus software compatibility. This resulted in needing a dedicated laptop with no internet capability (as you couldn't risk the system updating itself or doing anything int he background), just for Pro tools - because I had managed to get it working well and couldn't risk even the installation of a simple bit of software like Microsoft Office as it may result in Pro Tools not wanting to open - it has come a long way since then in terms of installation and power handling (largely due to the later laptops becoming so powerful) - although the licensing process is a little bit of a drag

Regarding the issue in the current thread - if I don't want to plug in a piece of hardware I just deselect external headphones from the playback engine and choose any other option like PT aggregate and then you can plug in and out during playback no problem.
Old 02-01-2024, 06:21 AM

Pro Tools as itself (software) works very well. It is the integration of interface (namely, quality of driver) that makes all difference between hit and miss. And of course 3rd party plugins that may break the system, especially if they are outdated..