Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 08-07-2017, 08:13 AM

Default Behringer X-Touch or Presonus Faderport 8 or ..?

Looking into an inexpensive DAW controller for PT12. Artist Mix seems a little out of my price range, so I'm looking at the Xtouch (full size) or the Faderport 8. Both are around the $400 price range. It looks like the FP8 has less buttons, so I'm leaning towards the Xtouch, but with the Xtouch being a bit older, I was curious if the Faderport 8 maybe worked better/had better functionality in PT.

What are ya'lls experiences? Which do you prefer?
Old 08-07-2017, 09:35 AM

Default Re: Behringer X-Touch or Presonus Faderport 8 or ..?

Take this with a grain of salt as I have not used either(but do use the original Faderport). When the Behringer finally was released, they sold like hotcakes, but also started showing up on the second-hand market almost as quickly, which might mean that they worked poorly(and I have read that a great many "features" of the X-Touch simply don't work on Pro Tools or HUI). Given how well my little Faderport STILL works, I would lean toward the faderport8 as the better option of these 2. (what good are the extra buttons if they don't work?)

Back to the Artist series, I have seen MIX units go for around $600 used(new prices are certainly out of your range). And, don't forget the PT Control app for iPad as it also does many things(and runs fine on my older 2nd gen iPad). One warning with the iPad app; it does NOT work alongside the Artist Control(I have no idea why). You NEED a good router if you want to use the iPad app(it was awful with a cheapo N router I started with, but works great on a Linksys Dual-Band router, which I also connect to an Artist Mix and the internet).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-07-2017, 05:37 PM

I'm selling a used Mackie MCU Pro that has 8 faders and connects via usb. Shoot me a message if you are in the LA area and interested.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:25 AM

The scribble strip problem on the faderport 8 is well documented. Read some reviews.

The behringer x touch has a better feel on the faders, however it is limited in what it will do in PT. It will do faders, pan, transport, and chanel banking that's about it.

Future System 2021 14inch M1 Pro / 16MB Ram / 512 / Monterrey
Old 08-08-2017, 12:02 PM

For me, one of the biggest issues with control surfaces that are not made by Avid / Digidesign, is the limitations when it comes to automating plug-ins.

Of course, there's inherently a greater level of integration with PT, but whether it's a Command 8 / D-Command / Icon / Or any of the newer Eucon based surfaces, the fact that I can simultaneously automate as many plug-in controls as I can physically touch, is a major benefit & time saver.

With HUI based controllers, you cannot for example automate a filter's Cutoff Frequency & Resonance controls simultaneously. You'd have to do that in two separate passes, which doubles the time it takes, and when two such controls interact so fundamentally, you're still looking at further adjustments after those two passes, to iron out the guesswork.

To be honest, I've lost track of whether the Slate Raven has got that licked with multi-touch etc, but that may be beyond your budget.

The Command 8 has some omissions, but is still a serious contender, especially given price they can be picked up for (though I can't remember if they can be used in conjunction with an iPad running Avid's free app).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2017, 12:47 PM

I bought a used artist mix for £500 ($700) before that i had the digi003 which is sorley missed. Before that I had a few crap control surfaces. For Pro Tools you really want one made for Pro Tools. The Artist mix is totally rock solid never had a single issue. You could find a euphonix version which would be cheaper still. I added a euphonix Transport which integrates perfectly. I run them both through my Virgin media Internet router.

My advice. Save and look for a deal.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Kolchak View Post
The Command 8 has some omissions, but is still a serious contender, especially given price they can be picked up for (though I can't remember if they can be used in conjunction with an iPad running Avid's free app).

Stumbled across this thread and thought I'd add to it for reference. At home I'm using a Command-8 together with the PT Control app. Awesome combination. I did swap the fader caps on the C8 for actual ALPS console fader caps which helped tremendously.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post

At home I'm using a Command-8 together with the PT Control app. Awesome combination.

Good to know.

I had a feeling there was a conflict with some of the older control surfaces - like not being able to mix Ethernet & Eucon.

Good that the Command 8 isn't hampered by that.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:06 AM

For what it's worth, I run a Presonus FaderPort (the small one) alongside the PT Control app on my I-pad. Works just fine.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
For what it's worth, I run a Presonus FaderPort (the small one) alongside the PT Control app on my I-pad. Works just fine.

That certainly makes the Faderport a far more attractive option - particularly in a mobile set-up.