Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2007, 10:03 PM

Default Unstable Pro Tools Cursor on MacBook Pro with Boot Camp?

Hi,

I recently got a MacBook Pro to learn Digital Performer in OSX, and I want it to also be my replacement PC for my old Acer Aspire, with Pro Tools LE on Windows (I have some plug ins that don't have Intel OSX version).

I have an MBox 2 and I've been installing Pro Tools and all the plugs in Windows.

I notice an annoying problem that I never had with the Acer: the cursor bar in Pro Tools behaves sluggish when I press space bar: it doesn't animate smoothly, neither the number counter.

Is anyone having this problem with the MacBook+bootcamp, or any other pc? Please tell me
Digidesign stated MacBook Pros as supported, and I was expecting this to run perfectly!
Old 04-11-2007, 02:07 PM

Default Re: Unstable Pro Tools Cursor on MacBook Pro with Boot Camp?

Hello? Nobody using Pro Tools on Windows with Boot Camp??

How come the MacBook Pro is in the top listed as best PC Laptops, on the Windows forum? That means someone is using it that way right? And it worked.

Please someone help me. If I don't find a solution I'll be forced to return this before the end of the month!
Old 04-11-2007, 02:38 PM

Hi jonathon, The Macbook Pro is supported running OSX, Last I knew you were on your own running Boot Camp as far as DIGI goes. I havent heard of your particular problem. I wouls suspect a driver issue or a windows hardware setting is the culprit. Does the problem occour when running PT under OSX? that could indicate a hardware problem.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-11-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Hi jonathon, The Macbook Pro is supported running OSX, Last I knew you were on your own running Boot Camp as far as DIGI goes. I havent heard of your particular problem. I wouls suspect a driver issue or a windows hardware setting is the culprit. Does the problem occour when running PT under OSX? that could indicate a hardware problem.
No, I must confess it doesn't happen on OSX. But I have windows only plug ins and VIs so I need to use it on windows.

Do you think it's just a windows problem and it must have a solution? my fear is that there's no support because nobody is in my situation, and maybe the cursor behaves this way for some reason with origins on Boot Camp! I know it's supposed to be XP running native, but maybe it's not THAT native and there's a BIOS emulation of some sort?

I'm really worried.

I bought it to run Digital Performer on OSX and Pro Tools on Windows, misleaded by the DUC topic saying it's supported in the Windows forum!
Old 04-11-2007, 03:13 PM

Jonathan, I dont have any answers really. Have you checked Apple? I beleive they have some forums, possibly Boot Camp specific.
Are you running the latest drivers? I know there has been at least one major update to Boot Camp along the way. Have you searched the DUC for +bootcamp in both the Windows and Mac Forums?

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-11-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Jonathan, I dont have any answers really. Have you checked Apple? I beleive they have some forums, possibly Boot Camp specific.
Are you running the latest drivers? I know there has been at least one major update to Boot Camp along the way. Have you searched the DUC for +bootcamp in both the Windows and Mac Forums?
Yep. Apple support just told me to sell it to a private, if I'm not happy. Boot Camp forum doesn't talk about Pro Tools. Just bought the mac and downloaded latest boot camp so yes, everything is latest.
Searched the DUC - Apparently I'm the very first one to install Pro Tools LE on Windows on a Mac, ever.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:15 PM

I don't see what you describe running Pro Tools HD on my Mac Pro under Boot Camp if that helps any.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 04-11-2007, 06:36 PM

is this problem occuring with the built in track pad or a USB mouse also? If you havent tried a external mouse it my be interesting to try one.

Also I'm curious as to what the properties that you can set using the Apple mouse/trackpad driver. there might be some weird issue there. Your not the first person to run PT under Boot Camp either there have been other posts but its been awhile since I ghave seen any Boot Camp posts.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

Old 04-11-2007, 06:52 PM

Quote:
is this problem occuring with the built in track pad or a USB mouse also? If you havent tried a external mouse it my be interesting to try one.

Also I'm curious as to what the properties that you can set using the Apple mouse/trackpad driver. there might be some weird issue there. Your not the first person to run PT under Boot Camp either there have been other posts but its been awhile since I ghave seen any Boot Camp posts.
What do you mean? yeah I'm using a USB mouse. I actually tried to disable the trackpad from hardware devices, along with other things like bluetooth and such, and no luck.

It's mainly a VISUAL problem that suggests something is wrong underneath the structure. Like a streaming problem.

And MIDI performance is pretty bad. Could it really be HD streaming? But why, and how?

I'm using two Oxford 911 firewire enclosures ... But I tried to unplug them, disable firewire, and just use pro tools from the laptop HD... and still I get the same thing...

BTW, thanks a lot for the help until now, sunburst.