How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 12-24-2021, 01:29 AM

Default Re: Monterey is now available

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHS View Post
Just got my m1max laptop today and it shipped with 12.1. I just opened it and put my head down and installed everything and didn't even think... oh **** is this even compatible? (my main working system is 2 OS's back and stable). Everything installed and is working minus some avid plugins. I can't get UHE diva to load in protools. Works fine in every other DAW I have installed. I load up Omishpere and play a patch and its taking the M1 max to its knees so something obviously isn't right but 98 percent of my plugs load and run. F I really don't want take this thing back an OS.
Omnisphere working fine here on an M1 Max. Did you do a fresh install of Omnisphere? Is it a problem standalone or just inside PT?

Dominic
Old 12-24-2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHS View Post
... I really don't want take this thing back an OS.
You really can't. 12.0 is the oldest the M1 Pro/Max laptops can run.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 12-24-2021, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
Omnisphere working fine here on an M1 Max. Did you do a fresh install of Omnisphere? Is it a problem standalone or just inside PT?

Dominic
I did a fresh install. It plays fine but the processor just goes to 50-60 percent on total system usage on a single patch in protools. Which is worse than my 2013 Mac Pro.
I see the processor spike in the DAW in both ableton and Protools. Ableton in the 30-40% area In stand alone using system process it shows 10 percent usage with same patch. So must be DaW related. I'm loading a pad called Bright JX+OB Active saws. Maybe it's just a heavy patch.

Biggest bummer is the Pro plugins not working. They are in every autoload I have and every mix Ive done for the last 2 years. lol. So yeah If I can't go back, this is a YouTube computer until it gets support.

System m1 max 32
64 GB ram-1TB
OSX 12.1
Protools 2021.12
Omnisphere 2.8.2c ARM
Old 12-24-2021, 03:43 PM

Tried again here with the patch you mentioned - everything at 96KHz - standalone it hardly uses any CPU as measured with iStat menus.
Inside PT, with a 64 sample buffer, PT usage meter says CPU is 40% but peaks at 72% with occassional red 100% blips. Lots of CPU plusing on all cores.
But at 128 samples it's much more benign (about 30%, with no pulsing) and avoids the big peaks.

I'm using an RME Babyface for testing, so of course the interface drivers are very good. System specs are almost identical but I'm using Monterey 12.2 beta 1 (21D5025f)

Dominic

MBP M1 Max 32
64GB RAM-2TB
OSX 12.2 Beta 1
PT 2012.12
Omnisphere 2.8.2c ARM
Old 01-11-2022, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
That would be Complete Plug-In Bundle, which is (as is PT itself) not supported on Monterey and/or Apple Silicon. Sit tight, I am hoping santa brings us a christmas present. Every year since Avid went to year.month versioning, we have had a x.12 release.
The Avid Complete Plug-in Bundle is also not working with Intel based iMacs on Monterrey...

https://linktr.ee/sergius128
Old 01-23-2022, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyJohn View Post
“Runs like the wind … “

��
And Pro Tools (and especially the Complete Plugin Bundle) on Monterey is still breaking wind...

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

Last edited by Phil O'Keefe; 01-23-2022 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-23-2022, 10:06 AM

Monterey not supported in any way, so we are crash test bunnies everyone.

Good news here is I hear iLok has had Apple Silicon native software on beta testing since mid-november, so release should not be far away. And that is the number one component Avid must wait until releasing native software, and therefore support for it.
Old 01-23-2022, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Monterey not supported in any way, so we are crash test bunnies everyone.

Good news here is I hear iLok has had Apple Silicon native software on beta testing since mid-november, so release should not be far away. And that is the number one component Avid must wait until releasing native software, and therefore support for it.
You're inferring that Avid has an M1 native build significantly along. My 30 years experience with Digidesign/Avid says - I very much doubt it.

I'm sticking with my prediction of a couple of months ago that there will be a fully functional, approved PT version for Monterey running under Rosetta 2 by the end of March. I see an M1 fully native build by the end of 2022 at the earliest.

Rosetta 2 under Monterey is all that is really NEEDED at the moment. PT runs very well under Rosetta. There are way too many third party plugins not yet M1 native. And as you stated, even iLok is not yet M1 native.

Anyway, it's all guesses at this point.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 01-23-2022, 10:54 AM

All guesses for sure. But many 3rd party plugin vendors already publish on their support pages that they have Apple Silicon native plugins in inhouse testing, only waiting for iLok/DAW releases
Old 01-26-2022, 10:30 AM

monterey/m1/PT ulitimate -
just got my new Macbook Pro M1 - was hoping to be able to use it for real.

PT works - seems like everything is golden (for me) except the AVID COMPLETE PLUGIN BUNDLE. how strange... seems like only the plugins that are DSP/NATIVE combo are not working... come on avid, you can do it! we're all waiting.